Chicken salad

Options
Meganthedogmom
Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
What do you guys put in your chicken salad? I eat it about 3x a week and I love it, but I don't want to get sick of it either. My go-to easy chicken salad is 1 can chicken, 30g mayo with olive oil, 45g relish and a squirt of mustard.

I've heard of putting sriracha in it too, but haven't tried it yet.

Any suggestions on interesting flavors to add?

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I add grapes (I prefer purple grapes, but I think green is more common?) and celery. I also season it a ton with basil, oregano, chili pepper flakes, and pepper. Om nom nom.
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    instead of relish I cut up spicy pickles.
    or apples, dried cranberries and grapes. :p
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I add grapes (I prefer purple grapes, but I think green is more common?) and celery. I also season it a ton with basil, oregano, chili pepper flakes, and pepper. Om nom nom.

Ahh I do basil sometimes too. So good!
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll add boiled eggs or garlic and onions. Other times I'll substitute the mayo and mustard for buffalo sauce and add finely sliced onions.
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I use leftover baked chicken from dinner, throw in a single serve of greek yogurt, grapes, almonds, celery, onions, lemon juice, and then season to taste. Usually with some garlic powder, salt, white pepper, and sometimes sriracha.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I use mashed avocado instead of mayo, and add slivered almonds. Yuuuummmm
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I forgot diced apples! Diced apples are a staple imo.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I got creative for my lunch today and mixed leftover rotisserie chicken with diced celery and apple, greek yogurt (has to be at least 2% fat) and sweet curry powder for seasoning. Stuffed it all in a Tumaro's wrap with some spinach. Turned out delicious!
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I've had chicken salad with curry powder - it's very tasty. Those recipes sometimes call for some fruit too, I think just to add a little sweetness without turning it into a full-on sugary chutney.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, blue cheese, diced celery/onion, a little dill and Frank's Red Hot
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I like to add dill, grapes, and either pecans or walnuts
  • missyrissy415
    missyrissy415 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I prefer baking chicken breasts and splitting them in half, I use a scale and consume about 5 ounces of chicken at each sitting, I love to have it with diced tomato/cucumber salad with lime drizzled over the top and half of a small baked yam on the side. I am easy on the salt in love Mrs. Dash
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Depends on the source of the chicken and what's in the fridge.

I don't usually cook chicken especially for chicken salad (i.e., not really "plain" chicken), and I often make chicken salad as a fridge-cleaner method to extend the life of leftovers a couple of days.

One thing I don't usually use is mayo. Prefer plain greek yogurt instead. Sometimes, depending on the base flavor of the chicken, it's EVOO, citrus juice and/or a dash of vinegar. Sometimes a mustardy vinaigrette.

Typically, I do use lots of veggies (some variant of red onions, celery, green/red peppers, scallions, carrots, red cabbage, etc., run through the food processor to shred or finely chop), often a good amount of herbs, sometimes halved cherry/grape tomatoes and/or seeded/peeled chunk-chopped cucumbers, etc. Sometimes a mix-in of leftover wild/brown rice or other bulk grain.

I'm posting this response today because before I sat down at my computer, I was looking at a stack of Tuesday's leftover yogurt-lemon-garlic-spiced marinated BBQ-grilled breasts that I might be rendering for chicken salad later this afternoon. The spice blend is the Med/Moor "Raz el Hanout," so I'm thinking of what to "saladize" it with. Oh, and I have about a cup of leftover plain couscous. I'm thinking a citrus-y, herb-y, vinaigrette mix might be the ticket to play off the already lemony tang and smoky spice of the chicken.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Green apple and red pepper. Craisins and celery are good too
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Basic- mayo or miracle whip,
    Add ins- spicy brown mustard or pepper, red wine vinegar, herbs
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    Depends on the source of the chicken and what's in the fridge.

I don't usually cook chicken especially for chicken salad (i.e., not really "plain" chicken), and I often make chicken salad as a fridge-cleaner method to extend the life of leftovers a couple of days.

... (middle omitted) ...

I'm posting this response today because before I sat down at my computer, I was looking at a stack of Tuesday's leftover yogurt-lemon-garlic-spiced marinated BBQ-grilled breasts that I might be rendering for chicken salad later this afternoon. The spice blend is the Med/Moor "Raz el Hanout," so I'm thinking of what to "saladize" it with. Oh, and I have about a cup of leftover plain couscous. I'm thinking a citrus-y, herb-y, vinaigrette mix might be the ticket to play off the already lemony tang and smoky spice of the chicken.

OK, I convinced myself what to do by writing the above posting. Here's the result: the yogurt-marinated chicken breast with some plain couscous, veggies (celery, red onion, red cabbage, green pepper) and herbs (dill and some mint) with a lemon-EVOO dressing. Lunches and snacks for two more days. You'll see I sometimes like a mix of fine and course chop for texture. Since the whole breasts were bright yellow, I had expected a bit more color in the end result, but this still looks colorful to my eye.

x3r0ypfzju7p.png

• midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I love dill. I use it in tuna salad, vegetable dips and chicken salad.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Blue cheese, scallions and cranberries. OMG- so good!
  • nab212
    nab212 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Glad others share the pain of copious amounts of chicken salad or tuna.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    1 Grated fresh ginger, water chestnuts, mongolian fire oil, and soy sauce.
    2 Diced pepperoncini, celery, green onions, black olives with Italian seasoning blend (I prefer Morton and Bassett)
    3 Kalamata olives, Feta, tomatoes and cucumber with oregano
    4 Walnuts and Jicama with Pesto