TMI: readers beware

Options
Does anyone have a problem with increased gas (painful gas) with increased fiber specifically chicory root fiber?

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Yup. This is why I always take Fibre One bars on road trips.
  • hanson22
    hanson22 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    ohmygosh yes. Every time I increase fiber in my diet it is almost unbearable. But as I continue, it evens out and eventually my body gets used to it.
    Only if I keep it up though.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I can't even do Fiber One bars, which sucks because they are so yummy! They make me extremely bloated.
  • kennagif
    kennagif Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Do you take anything to help such as Gas X?
  • moriaht
    moriaht Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Yup! My body got used to it within about 5 days.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Yes - just keep eating it and your body will get used to it. Keep some gas-x handy ;)
  • erzsebet_1560
    Options
    Hahaha! Yes! I keep gas-x strips in my purse! LMAO!!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I have to really up my water intake with the fiber....
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I can't even do Fiber One bars, which sucks because they are so yummy! They make me extremely bloated.

Totally agree with this. Every time I eat them I bloat up so bad I hurt. So, I don't eat them anymore. :(
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I like the Fiber One brownies....they are really good! :bigsmile:
  • kennagif
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. I wasn't sure about posting this but I needed advice.
  • mjboswell
    mjboswell Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    When increasing fiber intake you should do so with small amounts. The gas is a waste product produced by the bacteria that digest the fiber in your intestines. The number of bacteria are relative to the amount of food available to them. So when you increase the fiber there is more food for the bacteria so they eat a lot and produce more gas. Eventually more bacteria are present so there is less food per organism so less gas is produced. I hope this explanation was coherent.
  • beth_hayden
    beth_hayden Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have IBS & had to give up anything with cellulose, chickory root fiber, & inulin. It gives me horrific abdominal pains...
  • kennagif
    Options
    Thanks!
  • JoanWill
    JoanWill Posts: 217
    Options
    Oh my goodness. Mine started over the weekend. It was so bad I was about to throw up. And the worse thing, I was feeling it at work all day. But it's getting better. I take the generic gas pills PRN.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yes! I can't eat anything with extra added fiber (no Kashi, no Fiber One). I stick to normal levels of fiber in fruits, veggies, and 100% whole wheat breads and pasta.
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I take Citrucel from time to time.

It tastes like Orange Tang - just make sure you mix it, and drink it RIGHT AWAY. I mean this as a friend, don't let it sit - gulp it down. Otherwise, it will gel and you will wind up drinking a really gross - slimy, fiber concoction invented by sadistic Nazi scientists. You don't want that. Let it do it's thing in your tummy - you will be happier for it. It also makes you feel 'full', which is a nice feeling too.

No gas, no bloating - just does what you want fiber to do. Tastes pretty good too.

But, trust me on the gulp part .... mix it, drink it; you don't want this stuff to sit in your cup for more than a few seconds.
  • Soulbird81
    Soulbird81 Posts: 86
    Options
    I got a little tid bit from a fitness competition friend of mine. She adds Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar to her water, which she will drink 20 minutes before she eats breakfast, lunch, and dinner. She said that it helped to get rid of bloat and helped relieve her gassy issue when she increased her fiber. Beware it will make your stool smell more foul than usual also.

I started this same thing and noticed that I did not have the gassy issue at all until AFTER I went a week without adding the Bragg's to my water. It is not a good tasting addition at all but the benefit's have been known for hundreds of years. Plus it is not expensive at all :) You'll find it in your grocery aisle near the other vinegar, follow the instructions on the back label.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Oh, how I love Fiber One bars...totally cannot eat them. It's definitely not the fiber, as I eat a lot of that....stupid chicory root!!
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    FIBER ONE BARS!!! EEEEGGGADDD!

How about Protein increases as well. I've been eating around 200g of protein and well I'm going to have to start wearing a warning light when I work out. Don't laugh you know deep squats will get you every time........hey listen its the elephant parade :) Smiles have a great day everyone!