Nutrition Transition...?

Options
gakarl
gakarl Posts: 4 Member
So I have been doing the low carb high protein diet to lose some belly weight about a month now. Lost about 15lbs of tummy fat I wanted to loose. Now I want to start lifting and building bulk and muscle but I am not sure how much (calories and types of food) I should eat. I plan to continue my daily cardio and mix in some beginning weight lifting. I know some people eat 3000-4000 a day. Any suggestions or what to read up on would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Have you tried entering your stats and goals into MFP to get a calorie goal?
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    It might not hurt to ask in the Goal: Gaining Weight and Body Building subforum. There are probably people who hang out there who are able to offer better advice.
  • gakarl
    gakarl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @janejellyroll - I had it setup for weight loss. Haven't changed anything yet. Thanks!

@RelCanonical - Will do, thanks!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you're new to lifting I'd set it up for maintenance and run a recomp. You really want to have a handle on your training to enter a bulk. You'll be in a caloric surplus and if you are training with the proper progressive overload, frequency, specificity, etc....you gon' get fat.
  • nab212
    nab212 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Carb back loading works for me. Take in your carbs post workout and try to keep them "clean". Brown rice, oats, sweet potato(regular after working bigger body parts. Like back and legs) Maybe somewhat carb cycle. Keep them fairly low(lower on your recommendation) on most days but up them when you do bigger body parts. Space those days out. On rest days, try to keep your carb intake low. None if possible. Sounds kind of extreme but it works for me when I bulk. Just keep your protein intake around 1 gram per pound of body weight (if possible) and add some carbs. Trail and error my friend. Good luck. Hope this helps
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I agree that maintenance is always a good idea when transitioning; whether it's from a deficit to bulking or a bulk to a cut. This will help you adjust. You may be happy with where it takes you without having to bulk right away. Especially if gaining weight might mess with your head. Good luck!