SHIFT WORKERS UNITE!

Options
Is anyone else living a wonky shift and trying to live a healthy lifestyle? My S/O works nights, and i used to so i ended up staying on the schedule. Our day starts at 10pm and we usually turn in at 2 in the afternoon. I'd love to hear how people cope with the weird hours! I usually end up having my breakfast at 11pm, a snack at 1 after my workout, lunch at 3 and usually by 4 i try to lay down for some kind of nap. At 8 i usually have a snack and dinner is usually between 10 and noon. Getting activity, enough sleep and the right foods can be tricky.. Feel free to add me and we can share ideas and tips with eachother!

Replies

• MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I get up around 7pm, first meal is usually a smoothie around 9pm at work before my shift starts at 9:30. Then I eat my lunch at midnight. I'm testing homemade protein bar recipes right now, so I've been having one for a snack around 3am. Then if I'm still feeling peckish I'll have a snack around 5am or 6am, and then I'm off at 7:30am. I may or may not eat something at home around 8:30 am depending on how I'm feeling that day.

I'm a night manager and work by myself so I can eat whenever I want however frequently I want, which is really quite wonderful for setting up eating habits. If I'm having a very "hungry" day and need to eat every three hours no one is there to tell me to wait for a break, etc.

*Workout in the morning before bed

On weekends I just play it by ear.
  • gabrudromero
    gabrudromero Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I work nights Wed-Sun 11pm-7am. When I first started this shift a few years ago, I was big on stopping by the local grocery store and stocking up on fatty foods, chips, candy bars, sandwiches, cookies, cake, etc. No joke.

Since I've started to make an effort on losing weight, I have avoided eating at night at all. I usually get off work at 7am, go home and eat breakfast before 8am. In bed by 830 and will usually sleep a good 7 hours on days when I don't have school. I'll wake up after that and spread out my meals so that I'll be done by 10 or 11. no food after that. I do drink a pure black coffee. helps with the cravings.

so far i've lost 10lbs! we'll see how this goes!

as for workouts, still trying to work those in, although they are not frequent for now. I am trying to focus on logging in food and staying within my caloric goals.
  • Mommin75Hard
    Mommin75Hard Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I work 3:30-midnight and find it doable. I get up around noon, have a healthy breakfast, eat lunch around 7 or 8, and then dinner around 2am. I go to the gym most nights after midnight and I usually have a snack between lunch and dinner to fuel my workout. I hit the bed around 3:30-4:30. It works for me. I log like a normal person and reset when I wake up everyday. On my days off I head outside and get some exercise and sunlight.