Need motivation to workout

Options
I know I need to go workout. Even if it's just walking around. I don't have the energy or motivation to do that though. Any suggestions?

Replies

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You have to really want to work out without anyone else pushing you. It has to be something YOU want to do. Exercise will give you energy you thought you could never have, so the first week might be a struggle, but if you can push through you'll be glad you did. Find something you think you'll enjoy, not what other people enjoy doing so it'll stick.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I'm concerned with the statement that you don't have the energy to walk around. Apologies if this is off base, but are you eating enough?
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Baby steps!

Like @toxikon says above, commit yourself to a 10-minute walk once a day for 66 days. Then check back in and see how you're doing!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    You will do what you want to do. You will achieve the level of fitness you want to achieve. you will have the body you want. The question is: Do you want to do the work to get what you think you want or, would you rather sit on the couch and bemoan your lack of fitness?

Do what you want to do and enjoy/suffer the result.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    It takes about 66 days to form a habit. After that, it becomes second nature. The key is sticking with it every day.

What's the minimum you can stick with every day for 66 days. A 10-minute walk? Try it. Grab a calendar, mark off 66 days from today. Add a big checkmark every day that you walk. And just commit to a 10 minute walk. Once you're outside, maybe you'll feel like walking longer. That's great! Keep to that minimum 10 minute commitment, walk longer if you feel like it. Even when the weather is crap - just get out there and do it. And form your habit. Then build on it.

I did this^

My weekly exercise goal used to be 60 minutes. Google 10 minute workouts on YouTube, go to your library and pick up a few 10 Minute Solutions DVDs, or go for a walk. Keep track - stay accountable - it will become your new normal.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes and goes. Best approach for me is discipline. If I don't want to, tough. Do it anyways. After I get started, I don't mind at all. You have to want this.
  • Ck103084
    Ck103084 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way! Music helps. :) Good luck!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Why do you want or think you should workout? That's your motivation.
    Volunteer in a nursing home.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Why do you want or think you should workout? That's your motivation.
    Volunteer in a nursing home.

Great idea! This would be an eye-opener for lots of people. OP - use it or lose it.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    The difference between success and failure - in fitness and damned near everything else - is doing the work that needs doing even when you don't feel like it.

Motivated people are in the gym in January. Disciplined people are in the gym on July 5th, nursing a hangover, and getting their workouts done.
  • ritchiedjr
    ritchiedjr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Watch gym motivation video's on youtube
    Pump up the music
  • figureitout87
    figureitout87 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Get your nutrition in check so that you have the energy. Vegetables, fruit, protein, and fibre. Drink lots of water.

At the end of the day you're not always going to have motivation. You just have create habits and stick with them. You don't need to do everything all at once, but once you start doing something you have to commit whether you feel like it or not. Find activities that bring you joy - exercise doesn't have to be done in a traditional sense. Move your body however you wish, but I'm serious about that nutrition!!
  • bhurley100
    bhurley100 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Depression?? Maybe find a mood booster. Energy will increase and maybe join a zumba class or cycle class at local gym.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    In the early stages, it's really just a matter of doing it. It doesn't have to be anything crazy either...when I started, I made a pact with myself to walk 60 minutes 3x per week. From there it went to 5x per week...from their I started a C25K...a few months later i put myself back in the weight room...ultimately got into cycling, etc.

That was all about 4.5 years ago...early on, regular physical activity was pretty foreign as I hadn't really engaged in it in a long time, but it ultimately becomes habitual. These days I'm totally bummed when something comes up and I have to miss a ride or trip to the gym, etc and I get pretty antsy too.

You also ultimately have to find something you enjoy doing...this usually requires some trial and error and often some outside the box thinking in regards to what constitutes exercise. I ride most days, lift a couple times per week, and I'm going to try my hand at Jiu Jitsu in a couple of weeks...my 7 year old does it and it looks fun and he really wants me to do it so we can "be the same."
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    You won't always be 'motivated.' Sometimes, you just have to do it. Do something, anything you might enjoy. My favorite 'fun' exercises are basketball and cycling. Baby steps. Like someone said above, 10 minutes of walking a day is a great start.

I like to put on a good, hard rock song from my workout playlist to pump myself up beforehand, especially when I'm unmotivated.