Weight loss slowing down...why???

Options
Ok, I consistently eat in a deficit, get all my carbs (less than 60 net carbs a day) from veggies and 1 slice of whole grain, high protein bread a day, and increased lean protein. I do cardio 5- 6 times a week (walk 4- 4.5mph on the steepest incline on treadmill) 30 mins at minimum and weight train with trainer 5 days a week. My weight loss changed from 2-3 lbs a week to .5lbs a week despite adding intensity to cardio (from 3 to 3.5mph) and tweaking diet to include fewer carbs. Could it be the weight training (added this about 2 weeks ago)? My clothes seem to be fitting better even tho the weight loss slowed.

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Look at calories not carbs.
    If you are not losing at the rate you think you should then you are probably taking in more calories than you think or burning less than you think. Check your accuracy on those numbers.

As you lose weight you should be adjusting your calorie goal lower to have the same rate of loss.
    That rate of loss may not be appropriate though as 2-3 lbs would be pretty aggressive unless you are 50+ lbs overweight.
    If you are close to a healthy weight losing .5 lb a week is more reasonable than 2 lbs a week anyway.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Weight training will cause some initial water retention. Keep on keeping on for another couple of weeks.

Also, 2-3 pounds a week is a very rapid loss rate - it's possible, particularly if you started eating less and moving more in the last couple of months, that your deficit isn't large enough to sustain that over an extended period.

It's a marathon, not a sprint.
  • locoloon
    locoloon Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Not sure how long you've been working on your weight loss. But it sounds like your hitting your first plateau, at least your weight loss has not stopped completely. Keep up the weight training as muscle burns more calories than fat and if you maintain your muscle you won't have to reduce your calories as you lose weight (as much) to keep losing more weight. Keep up the good work and enjoy the non scale victory of better fitting clothes.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Also, depending how long you have been following this regime, it might just be that those first few extra lbs were the initial weight loss from losing water when you cut normal amounts of carbs from your diet. Lots of people have a high initial weight loss which then stabilises to a more sensible level.

What value did you use to set your MFP goals - i.e. How much did you tell it you want to lose per week? 0.5lb is still really good sustainable weight loss, you just need to be patient and map out when you will then likely meet your goal weight and accept that it may still be a good few months off.
  • figureitout87
    figureitout87 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating per day and how long have you been eating at a deficit? I'd lay off the cardio for a bit and maybe enjoy a few more calories (like 200 more). I know that doesn't seem ideal but your body adapts to things like cardio and consistently low calories.

Also if you focus less on cardio, and more on weigh training you'll find your body will burn fat more optimally. Talk to your trainer about doing a progressive training program. Seriously, you'll never look back.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it, this is how it goes.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    It's most likely water retention from the new lifting routine. My losses appeared to stall for several weeks (4 or 5) when I started lifting. The muscles retain some water for repair. Then one morning whoosh, big drop. If you are sure you are still doing everything else right, keep on it. It was hard to have the patience, but I knew why, so just kept focused. That being said three pounds per week is pretty fast, I know you are anxious to get there, but you need to keep the end game in mind. What is your plan for maintenance? Fast loss often leads to fast regain. This is all from experiences, for whatever that's worth.