Quick question

So I'm 21, in college, and on the weekends/summer I work a fast food job. I'm on my feet the whole time and usually on the move (I'm literally not allowed to sit down), do you think I can count it as exercise? My goal is to maintain. I used to be 117 at 5'9 but through hard work and a TON of protein powder I'm up to 132. What do you guys think? Exercise or nah?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    It's not exercise, but daily movement. Any movement burns calories though. You have to start somewhere, try, assess and adjust.
  • jd8050
    jd8050 Posts: 3 Member
    Yeah that's what I've been doing. According to the calculations I've done it burns like 400 calories per shift. I always estimate it down though and assume it's roughly 1 calorie extra per minute; I'd rather underestimate than over estimate. So for a six hour shift (if I get my 30 minute break which doesn't oft' happen) it's about 330 calories extra. If I have anything more than a six hour shift I usually don't hit the gym because that's how I injured my knee, and how I severely injured my groin muscle the first time. Overuse is a paaaain.
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    I now work part time where I am on my feet moving at least 4 to 7 hours a day several times a week. I find I get tired legs and feet and not really any other benefit. Basically it is far better than sitting in a chair all day but if I didn't keep my running and gym workouts going I don't think I would still be at the weight I am now. So my answer is exercise. Exercise will be better cardio and you can do strength training and toning.
  • mohamedahmed07
    mohamedahmed07 Posts: 161 Member
    It's not exercise, but walking burns calories, even STANDING burns calories, so if your work involves moving like that, your activity level is moderate-high. or set it as sedentary and add 300-400 calories as walking.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I would set your MFP activity level to active (at a minimum) based in their definitions - you are no where near sedentary (and the MFP definition of sedentary is like 3000 or less steps a day IIRC)
  • Lindie16
    Lindie16 Posts: 4 Member
    I work a job where I'm on my feet for 5.5-6 hours a day (only allowed a 15 minute break) and I have MFP set to 'lightly active' although my actual burn calories is probably in between the 'lightly active' and 'active' calories. Some days I'm throwing around 40lb bags of salt and burn more energy while some days I'm just doing more walking and light lifting. I don't log my food to the T, but I always land around maintenence. I set to lightly active so I don't go crazy on my eating. It takes some experimentation to find what works for you.

But I wouldn't log it as exercise.