Serious this time...seriously.

sephetlia
sephetlia Posts: 31 Member
So, as many of us have, I have tried about a dozen different ways of dieting before and while I have had some serious success in the past, it wasn't lasting. I've often tried to diet with friends, but one of two things always seems to happen: we're either too easy on each other's shortcomings when we do keep it up or one of us gives up entirely and the other crumbles doing it alone. This time, I have been dieting casually with a few friends, and have managed to lose about 35 pounds so far (although my myfitnesspal ticker thing says less - I started out on Weight Watchers so all of the pounds aren't included), but the past two months it has been a project of mine only. In some ways this has been beneficial, but it would be nice to have some people to be held accountable to, and to share ideas with and gain insight from, so I've decided to be a more active member in the myfitnesspal community and this is my introduction to you all. My name is Tara, I'm 25 years old, I have a five year old daughter (who, incidentally, was blessed with her father's metabolism, hallelujah), I am an English teacher, and I am serious this time...seriously...about losing the weight and keeping it off. :)

Replies

• _Corinne_
    _Corinne_ Posts: 188 Member
    Welcome!
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Welcome aboard. Feel free to add me for support if you would like.
  • kluver42
    kluver42 Posts: 24
    Welcome! And you can do it this time, seriously! Thats the same thing I said when i came to my fitness pal and it has actually been true this time! MFP is a very supportive community! You can do this! We're doing it together :]
  • This site is so much better than Weight Watchers (in my opinion)!! There is such an amazing support system here! Feel free to add me as a friend for additional support. I find that knowing others can see my food journal works wonders to keep me in line :).
  • kciboo
    kciboo Posts: 6
    Hi all! :)

I've been switching back and forth between MFP and WW online. I find WW PointsPlus helpful but it's so difficult to track some foods on WW and their iPhone app is horrendous...needless to say, I won't be renewing my WW online subscription in September. I've found MFP to be an excellent tracking tool - the best one I've tried yet by far!

And so I begin again on this Monday...seriously! :) Wishing you all luck.
  • ScoutMom1
    ScoutMom1 Posts: 57
    Welcome and thanks for your post. I too have been trying to find a way to become more active in the MFP community as well. I found this site last year and I didn't have the strength and will power to follow through. Now I'm just recently back and hope to keep up my motivation, however I don't really have anyone around me who can give me the support I need. All my parents do is try to feed me (I know they have good intentions, however it doesn't help) and my sister is about a 30 minute drive and she weighs a whopping 105 pounds so she doesn't understand the struggle with being overweight. This year has taken it's toll on me as my son is in the army and has been deployed to Afghanistan as of Memorial day. He is doing well and we keep in touch on FB, however it doesn't stop me from the constant worry and stress. I don't personally know anyone using MFP, but I'm reaching out to anyone, who needs or wants to offer support...even if it's long distance.
  • Reneda
    Reneda Posts: 140
    I totally agree with you about being serious this time... seriously.. I keep trying to lose weight but I've never made myself get serious about it. My weight has slowly went up and up until I see myself starting at 300 lbs and not living to see 40. I am 33 years old with a 7 year old daughter and a great husband. He is very supportive but I've figured out that if I'm not doing this myself, I'm not going to do it. I need motivation and accountability that my family just can't provide. They love me too much and don't know how to be tough to me when I fail. If you wanna friend me, I promise to be mean and harsh when you fail and encouraging and supportive when you succeed... :happy: (Of course, I'll expect the same....)

Reneda
  • sephetlia
    sephetlia Posts: 31 Member
    Thanks, everybody! I've added you all as friends...please accept my requests! :)

I agree about us being a community and doing it together - it's amazing how encouraging just this one post has been! I really do already feel like I have people to be responsible to.

I was also wondering which parts of myfitnesspal you find to be most helpful. Though I've been using it for a while, I haven't spent much time actually perusing the site so I'm not sure where the best information and tools are located. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks! :)
  • tenas
    tenas Posts: 121
    Welcome. I've also done WW in the past but I find that MFP is much easier to track and easier to stay on track with.