Day 5 and I QUIT

Options
chillmama
chillmama Posts: 5 Member
edited May 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Day 5 of the HCG protocol diet and I QUIT! ..not because I'm not losing weight or because it's too hard..because there's way too much info out there on the negative side effects and I started it to get healthier, not less healthy! After day 3, I was cramping and spotting blood and had an intense headache that made me think about going to the ER! ..I'm switching to low carbs, high fat/protien. Buh-bye HCG!

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    It's good you are abandoning that potentially dangerous diet that usually results in people gaining all the weight back and then some.

Curious though why you waited till after you started it to read the research?
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    ThreeKeys_ wrote: »
    Just do CICO... Simple as really.

Yup
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Didn't think I'd be posting this when I clicked in here, but good for you for quitting! The HCG diet is ridiculous and dangerous. Now set up your MFP diet profile, figure out a reasonable calorie and macros goal, and settle in for the long haul that is sustainable weight loss :smile: You can do LCHF if you want, but it isn't strictly necessary for weight loss. All you need to do to lose weight is eat fewer calories than you burn.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    What the hell is "HCG"? I'm not even going to google it to find out what several different things it might be.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    It's good you are abandoning that potentially dangerous diet that usually results in people gaining all the weight back and then some.

Hush, she might learn to use her brain before she opens her wallet.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    What the hell is "HCG"? I'm not even going to google it to find out what several different things it might be.

Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) is a hormone produced by the placenta after implantation. Wikipedia

Which the injection provided with this 'diet' may or may not contain (doesn't really matter because it's woo and the 'suggested diet' along with it is low calorie and that's where any weight loss would potentially come from).
  • marelthu
    marelthu Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz supported this type of diet. That would have been my warning to turn and run away from it as fast as possible.
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Just had to look this diet up as had never heard of it before.....wt actual f???? This is the first paragraph from one site:

'In order to be successful on the HCG weight loss protocol, not only is it important to follow the guidelines set forth by Dr. Simeon, but it is imperative that you follow and maintain a very low calorie diet, consuming no more than 500 calories a day. More importantly though is how those 500 calories are made up. While most of us eat more than 500 calories in just one sitting at our favorite restaurant, the HCG diet is very specific in just how to spread those calories out through your day.

While the list of HCG approved foods may seem short, it is compiled carefully so your body can easily lose weight and you can plan your meals easily.' http://www.hcgdietinfo.net/hgc-diet-plan-food-list/

Ummmm. There are just no words.... Oh wait..... NOOOOOOOOOO!
  • lifeisahighway
    lifeisahighway Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Glad you're quitting that!
  • jennknut
    jennknut Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have a blood clotting condition and HCG can raise the risk of clots. I would recommend avoiding HCG entirely! Also, is this a "diet" you can do the rest of your life? 500 cals a day? mmm NO! NO! Avoid anything that does not promote lifelong healthy habits!
  • chillmama
    chillmama Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I've been researching this diet for almost two years now, there's just as much evidence out there to support the benefits as there is to support the cons. I've seen several of my clients (I'm an addiction counselor), lose large anounts of weight and keep it off for years with this diet. I myself, have lost 30 lbs in a month and a half with a different diet and have kept it off for 3 years now, so the rapid weight loss worked for me. The first time I did this diet, I lasted only 10 days, but it reduced my A1C so significantly that my doctor supported me doing it again..so I decided to give it another go. My concerns with the HCG specifically are entirely separate from the VLCD part of it (I was doing 800 calories instead of 500). The new research shows a possible link between HCG levels and increased heart eurythmia and since I have cardiovascular issues, I don't want to risk it. I was waffling on wether or not to do this again, but since my doctor gave the thumbs up and thought the pros outweighed the cons, I decided to try it again. After experiencing the headache and spotting, I just decided I'm not comfortable with the risks.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hello,

I'm writing to let you know that our Community Guidelines ( http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines ) prohibit the creation of any forum posts, groups, or posts in groups that encourage the use of Very Low Calorie diets (including, but not limited to, VLCDs that use the HCG protocol).

MyFitnessPal has always promoted a healthy, sustainable, and gradual path to weight loss. But HCG products are typically promoted in connection with a very low calorie diet, usually one that limits calories to 500 per day. Research has demonstrated that calorie intake at these levels can lead to increased risk of gallstones, hair loss, constipation, an irregular heartbeat, and many other dangerous side-effects.

Moreover, numerous medical studies have shown that the results of HCG-use in combination with a very low calorie diet are indistinguishable from the results of the low calorie diet alone. In light of this research, the FDA has required the labeling and advertising of HCG products to state:

“HCG has not been demonstrated to be effective adjunctive therapy in the treatment of obesity. There is no substantial evidence that it increases weight loss beyond that resulting from caloric restriction, that it causes a more attractive or “normal” distribution of fat, or that it decreases the hunger and discomfort associated with calorie-restricted diets.”

Our guidelines prohibit any use of Groups or the Public Forums to support the use of HCG.

Regards,
    4legs
This discussion has been closed.