Is running 10-11 miles everyday okay or is that overdoing it?

Options
So I usually run 5 times a week (Sun, Mon, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday) and each day I usually run around 9-11 miles give or take. I have about 2 rest days during the week so I guess it's not every single day but I was wondering if this may be overdoing it? I do feel a bit sore on some of the days I run but it always goes away later during my run so I assume its not hurting me too much. What do you guys think?

Replies

• DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I mean if you're training for a marathon or to improve your cardiovascular endurance you can but if you're lifting (especially heavy) along with running outside, that can tap into your recovery....at least it did for me. Though at the same time, at the time I was just weightlifting by feel. With a custom strength program someone made me, I'm only supposed to do low intensity cardio and running is like medium-high but if I ever start running again, it will probably be on a rest day. But if you're working towards a goal like a marathon or improving your endurance and if you don't feel completely drained everyday then keep doing it. Just my opinion. Don't forget to stretch before and after you run and check for shin splits. Also 10-11 miles a day is alot, the most I ever did when I ran was like 6 miles. Listen to your body.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So I usually run 5 times a week (Sun, Mon, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday) and each day I usually run around 9-11 miles give or take. I have about 2 rest days during the week so I guess it's not every single day but I was wondering if this may be overdoing it? I do feel a bit sore on some of the days I run but it always goes away later during my run so I assume its not hurting me too much. What do you guys think?

I'd love to have that much spare time :laugh:

If you're used to it then fine, but I would listen to your body and ease off when you feel sore.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    For some people that would be tremendously over doing it, for others just a normal week. Do you ever vary the distances of your runs by more than a couple miles? A 50-55 mpw load is what a lot of hard core marathoners do, even higher. If you have the base and worked up to that volume, aren't having any pains beyond general fatigue, it's probably not too much. How's your recovery? (Sleep, stress, nutrition, etc)
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posts - you know your body so do what you feel is best. I am 56 and my joints wouldn't let me do that. But when I do my 20+ miles per week I hear from folks I shouldn't do so much "at my age". But I am fine and I add an 8 mile run in per week at the same time. I get some aches now and then but not "PAIN" so I know I am not hurt.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm factoring your other post about calories into my response -but yes, I don think you are over doing it and under-eating based on previous posts you have made
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    It's just a bit unusual. Normally people run different distances during a week.

Like I have a long run on a Sunday.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

Depends on where you are. If you built up to the distance gradually enough, 50 miles per week could be sustainable. At least 40 of them should be easy miles, able to hold a conversation, heart rate predominantly in Zone 2 or Zone 1.

To put some detail what "where you are" means, a few examples from my own history:

At age 55/56, I ran myself into injury running 5 days a week, for a total of less than 25 miles per week. I had just become a runner, and I did too much, too soon.

By age 59, I had become a distance runner. I had run several half marathons and one marathon. I rolled an ankle and got a mild sprain. My podiatrist put me in a soft brace designed to support the ankle and stimulate blood flow. It got better on a steady diet of 30 miles per week, all easy.

At age 61, I'm looking to build my base up to 45-50 miles per week when I'm between marathon training cycles. If I weren't planning on running more marathons, 40 miles per week would be enough for me. I could maintain my weight, have a generous calorie allowance, and have a sufficient base to train for short races and run a half marathon pretty much whenever I feel like it. And still have 2 non-running days per week.

Oh, yeah. Marathons and injuries and recovery from marathons have taught me that when I run a lot of miles, feeling sore is a reason to back off. Don't do the speed work, or don't do it as hard. Maybe make the long runs a little shorter. Make sure the easy runs stay easy. Maybe take an extra rest day. Progress is not made while working hard. Progress is made while recovering well after working hard.

But then, I am a distance runner. That colors my thinking and my fitness routine. I do not lift heavy; I lift to support my running. If you want to run 50 miles per week, you would be well advised to also do some strength training targeted at supporting your running habit. Without it, you're more likely to spend some extended periods *not* running, involuntarily.
  • rjbram
    rjbram Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You will live longer than most people, so go for it. Agree it is good to vary the mileage and pace from day to day
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you run that much? Are you training for something long like a marathon or ultra? Is it your way of dealing with depression/anxiety? Are you just really bored and it gives you something to do?

I am a 60 year old runner who does one marathon a year and a couple of HMs. I run about 35 mpw when I am not in training, more when I am heading toward a long race. I don't do more because it is likely to get me injured, plus it would, for me, lead to mental burnout. I haven't been injured in a couple of years, though I had a lot of injuries the first few years I was running because I built my mileage too quickly. Friends who race more and who are more serious about their racing usually maintain 50-70 mpw year around. They also frequently fight various injuries.

People have different injury thresholds and different burnout thresholds. Varying the amount and kind of running you do helps keep you on the safe side of both. If you are happy with the amount of time and effort you are putting in, and aren't getting injured, there is no reason you shouldn't do what you are doing, as long as it is still working for you.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    As I recall, that is about the amount the guidelines call for if a person is exercising for weight loss. If you are enjoying it, go for it.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    At my age (closing in on 55), with my joints (I have psoriatic arthritis), that would be overdoing it.

If you're younger and your performance isn't suffering and you're not getting injured? Go for it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Since you're asking, then it's too much. If you were following an organized training plan with specific goals and objectives, then you would know that you're doing OK.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

What are your objectives?

It's excessive if you're training for weight loss, or even general cardiovascular fitness. It's about reasonable base mileage for an ultrarunner.
  • JessM822
    JessM822 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Keep doing it. Take a day off if you're feeling sore though. 10 miles is even rougher on the legs if they're already hurting. I've done marathons and HIM's. Now I'm all grown and attempting my first Ironman. A normal week for me is 170 miles on the bike, 40 miles of running, 10,000 yards swimming. (I will have no life until September) Some weeks I focus more on certain areas. I also ensure I have strength training in my plan as well. I've built up to this point, but if my body doesn't feel right it becomes an automatic rest day.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Why are you running 10-11 miles per day? That's the golden question. I have a woman at my gym who has an eating disorder and she runs at least that much every day because she thinks she needs to. However, I also knew a guy at my last gym who did it because he was training for the Olympics. Different animals.

This post is from the OP. She needs help.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/39499016#Comment_39499016
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Why are you running 10-11 miles per day? That's the golden question. I have a woman at my gym who has an eating disorder and she runs at least that much every day because she thinks she needs to. However, I also knew a guy at my last gym who did it because he was training for the Olympics. Different animals.

This post is from the OP. She needs help.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/39499016#Comment_39499016

Yikes. I would love to be able to go back and change every answer in this thread to say:
    "Yes - that is entirely too much for you. Please get help".
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Put simply: yes, for you it is. Please see your GP for assistance and further info, you are very underweight (according to your other thread).