No caffeine

For those of you who don't do any type of caffeine, where do you get your energy? Do specific foods give you more energy or do you only take vitamins? I've been off soda for about a year and I've never been a coffee/tea drinker. I try other caffeinated means to keep myself awake at work but they don't seem to be doing the job. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    I find that a sweet breakfast helps to keep me going. I also eat less at lunch so I can have a snack in the afternoon. Maybe try a piece of fruit in the late morning or afternoon? Good luck :smile:
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I have had minor issues with insomnia so practicing good sleep hygiene has helped me get better and longer sleep and helps me feel more awake during the day. I also try to go to bed and wake up at the same time everyday, even on weekends (I have no social life so this is probably much easier for me).

Sleep hygiene article: https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-topics/sleep-hygiene

I also try to drink water right when I wake up. I found a lot of my fatigue was from dehydration, 'cause I was feeling tired even when I get enough sleep.

It's not a perfect system. I still reach for soda on occasion, but normally it's more because of wanting something sweet rather than caffeine. I was not a coffee/tea drinker either.
  • kvanderbeek1
    kvanderbeek1 Posts: 50 Member
    I do try to get enough sleep, but I have a child with diabetes and if blood sugars are high/low I have to get up. This puts a slight damper on good sleep. Thanks for the suggestion though!!
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    I like ON nutrition amino energy. I buy mine on Amazon. It's caffeinated but also contains bcaas/proteins.
  • projectalice13
    projectalice13 Posts: 11 Member
    I'm with RelCanonical on the early morning water. I keep a large glass in my bathroom and fill it twice while I get ready in the morning. By the time I arrive at work, I've already downed 34 oz of water. This accomplishes two things: 1) wakes me up by making my body feel refreshed and hydrated; 2) helps ensure I reach my daily water intake.
  • bespatter
    bespatter Posts: 73 Member
    I haven't done caffeine for years, but if you're looking for a supplement you can try Ginsana. It's a ginseng supplement you can find at Walmart. I don't know that it gives me a bunch of energy, but it does seem to make me feel a little better.
  • dragonflower_1
    dragonflower_1 Posts: 2 Member
    Eating an apple always wakes me up.