How to stop other people from judging for dieting

Options
I started my fitness journey 4 to 5 months ago, going to the gym regularly, my dieting has been much harder though because all the people around me are always judging and saying things like "don't be such a *kitten* and eat that slice of pizza" or "you won't be able to resist, I know you", or "stop being such a freak measuring your food".

I'm tired, how do I make them understand? It's not that I'm dieting, it's my lifestyle now and people do not seem to understand that.

Replies

• Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    tell them to eat the extra slice of pizza and watch their butt grow bigger :)
    all jokes aside, that really sucks that they aren't being supportive :/
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    You can only control your reaction, stop talking about your goals, and don't explain your choices, by explaining, they take that as a crack in your defences, inviting an attack, eat as you choose and block them out. You can learn how to do this.
  • krfitmom
    krfitmom Posts: 17 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Surround yourself with those that will lift you up not bring you down. Kudos to you for taking steps to make you a better you.
  • amariepooch
    amariepooch Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Honestly what I figured out is I just don't tell people. They notice me eating healthier I simply say "oh just trying to make better choices." If I'm offered a sweet I simply say "oh no thank you, I'm not hungry" or "I already brought a snack and don't want to waste it" The people I am around really respect that.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    zelaphin wrote: »
    all the people around me are always judging and saying things like "don't be such a *kitten* and eat that slice of pizza" or "you won't be able to resist, I know you",

Are you, perhaps, being a little over-enthusiastic about your new lifestyle and buying into the "junk food is BAD!" mindset, inadvertently making your friends feel like they are the ones being judged for wanting to eat pizza? It happens, sometimes, and I don't think people realise they could be giving off that kind of vibe to others.

If this doesn't apply to you, then I'd agree with the others to just not talk about it if you can avoid doing so. You can also make some adjustments to your lifestyle if you want to. For example, if you go out with friends who want to eat pizza, you can save up some calories during the week and/or exercise a bit more so that you can indulge with them.

You can also tell people outright that their comments are unhelpful and unsupportive and you'd rather they didn't make them, because you're trying to do something to improve your health and could use their support and encouragement. (Have they maybe seen you try to lose weight before, unsuccessfully, and are presuming you'll fail? You could tell them you'll have a greater chance of success this time with their help.)

I like @amandajorgensen2 's advice on what to say, too! Politely turn down the offered food (there's no need to say something like "I can't eat that!" or "That's junk!", make a polite excuse), and don't be afraid to keep repeating yourself if they push it on you. If you give in they'll just keep doing it, so try and strengthen your "resistance muscle" and stand firm!

If all else fails then yes, you might have to consider making some changes in your circle of friends and finding more supportive, like-minded people to hang out with. Harder to do if family members are also treating you like this, but in that case you might need to sit them down for a little talk.

Stay strong! :) Think of all the reasons you want to lose weight and get fit, and keep them in your mind when you're with these people... it will help you to resist.