Restarting Journey - Where to Begin?

Options
Alright, so all of my life I have felt addicted to sweets, and food in general. Never really had proper nutrition growing up, always ate out. Now, at 22 years old, 5' 4" and 165 pounds, and on this new medication for my severe depression and anxiety, I feel like I have no clue where to begin in losing weight.

How do you lose weight when you are on a medication that increases your appetite and has the infamous side effect of weight gain?

That said, I will take responsibility that I am still finding it immensely difficult to eat at home. I am always out and about and have a difficult roommate situation going on right now. And since I'm poor, the McDonalds cheap menu is where I usually end up.

I feel hopeless because I have never been this heavy before, feel addicted to food, and have trouble sticking to healthier eating habits. I know the basic rule is to burn more than you consume, but does anyone have any tricks on how to lose weight safely and effectively? Especially those of you who eat out and/or are on meds that make it difficult to lose weight?

That said, I love walking. I feel amazing after exercising. But, my left knee gives me trouble sometimes with high impact exercises and I know exercising won't help if I eat as much crap as I have been.

So I guess my main questions are:

1. How do I go about making my diet healthier yet realistic?

2. How do I curb this addictive behavior to emotionally eat?

3. How to keep up the motivation to stick with it and not give up?

Thanks.

Replies

• kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    The motivation has to come from with in I know when I'm feeling defeated I have to think about my goals and I'm constantly telling myself doing it for myself by myself
    I eat everything I have no foods off the table I just stay within my calorie goal and it's been working you mentioned McDonald's well old me used to eat 2 cheeseburgers and a soda well cheeseburgers are 300 calories so now I only eat one and usually just stick with my bottled water for me it was all about portion control
    I have the biggest sweet tooth ever I felt border line addicted as well I still have my sweets every single day I just get the fun size bars and the little packs of cookies so I can still work it into my 1200 calories a day
    I am 5 ft tall and started November 1st weighing 181 today I weighed 154
    What also helps me is I weigh myself daily and use an app called happy scale so I can see my down ward trend
  • Myzzlone
    Myzzlone Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hey! So alot of our circumstances sound the same! 22, 5'4", and beginning again. The only difference is i managed to let it go way to far and ended up starting my weightloss journey again at 291 lbs, so good for you for catching it earlier! Since starting a month and a half ago ive dropped 25lbs, and my losses have continued to be 5lbs a week. The hardest thing at first was resisting the temptation to go out. The easiest way i found was every time i wanted to hit up McDonald's, I'd figure out what it would have cost me and put the same amount in a jar or box in the kitchen. Id use it to reward myself (never with food. We aren't dogs, we dont need treats like that) once in a while or for the more expensive healthy groceries. Another huge help has been keeping a little box in my car filled with healthy on the go snacks and stuff (think cans of tuna, meal replacements, kashi granola bars etc) and a few in my purse if i know im going out. This wat I'm never without a healthy option. I was also incredibly addicted to eating. I used food as a drug. I found that identifying why i wanted to eat so much with certain emotions helped. (When i was sad id try to eat to feel full so i wasnt empty... *kitten* logic i know) it helped. Especially when paired with writing in a journal. Now i crave a handfull of cherry tomatoes instead of a small fry. Finally, for motivation i suggest using an event or something that youre really looking forward to (personally its my wedding in a year) and setting smaller goals along the way. Say, every 2 lbs or something can be a milestone. Im sorry about the long reply, but hopefully it helps some!
  • rosestring
    rosestring Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thank you both so much! That idea of putting money aside every time I want to go somewhere sounds like it might work. Portion control has always been difficult for me, but I will keep trying. As someone who is used to seeing a therapist for my depression, I think identifying the desire to eat connecting to feeling emotional can help.

Thank you both so much!
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am a mom of 3 I work and go to school full time. I am BUSY. My weight loss has been a yoyo. When ever midterms and finals come around I dont sleep, I cant wake up eraly to workout, I eat like crap and gain weight. This last set of tests I gained 10lbs from letting go and not getting back into the swing of things. I am so mad at myself. I always pack food with me. I always have nuts, protein bars etc in my purse/backpack. I bring water wherever I go. I find fiber rich foods will fill me up especially when I drink a big glass of water. Even if I just cut up some apples, bring carrot sticks or whatever I can grab them and eat in my car.