Salt, Sodium, whatever you want to call it

Options
My weight isn't going down as much I as I expected (1.5 to 2lb per week), is this due to salt retention? I drink a lot of water to try and flush it out but I stick within the 2300mg of sodium allowed per day, I eat 1800mg a day on average.

Is this still too much even though its lower than what MFP recommend?

If it helps I am 32 male, 6ft5 and 282lbs

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    No, sorry, that's not the reason for your slow weight loss. That's really not a whole lot of sodium, and certainly not causing you to retain water. Be patient, how much are you losing?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor tell you to watch your sodium intake? Sounds like your weight loss is good.
  • graemeward84
    graemeward84 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    No, sorry, that's not the reason for your slow weight loss. That's really not a whole lot of sodium, and certainly not causing you to retain water. Be patient, how much are you losing?

Hey, i've lost just under 2lb in 3 weeks, cutting 1000 cals per day as recommended, was kinda of hoping for a but more, is it not a problem then if i continue to eat as much sodium as i currently do?

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    I gave up excessive salt for Lent. By excessive I mean eating coarse salt straight. Did not lose weight as a result of doing this.

91WS02UJADL._SY679_.jpg
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options

Hey, i've lost just under 2lb in 3 weeks, cutting 1000 cals per day as recommended, was kinda of hoping for a but more, is it not a problem then if i continue to eat as much sodium as i currently do?
    I doesn't watch my macros while losing I can add salt to my food and it is zero calories so I won't log it anymore and I still lose the weight that I want. Calorie deficit to lose weight watch macros for health reason combine the two and get a better good result :)

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Not for weight loss (or in general unless your doctor said to watch it).

What the issue is with sodium and weight loss is that if you increase how much you are consuming you will add on water weight (so if people go out for an unusually high for them restaurant meal or have a "treat meal" that's higher than normal they will put on water weight that isn't really related to the excess calories and goes away soon). Similarly, if you reduce how much you are eating (also if you cut down on carbs), you lose a bunch of water weight -- this is part of why people often drop a bunch the first week of a diet. If you are pretty consistent in how much you use, it shouldn't matter.

I also don't think 1800 mg is all that high. I don't measure/track it, but I use salt in cooking and it adds up, and it's never been an issue at all.
  • graemeward84
    graemeward84 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Not for weight loss (or in general unless your doctor said to watch it).

What the issue is with sodium and weight loss is that if you increase how much you are consuming you will add on water weight (so if people go out for an unusually high for them restaurant meal or have a "treat meal" that's higher than normal they will put on water weight that isn't really related to the excess calories and goes away soon). Similarly, if you reduce how much you are eating (also if you cut down on carbs), you lose a bunch of water weight -- this is part of why people often drop a bunch the first week of a diet. If you are pretty consistent in how much you use, it shouldn't matter.

I also don't think 1800 mg is all that high. I don't measure/track it, but I use salt in cooking and it adds up, and it's never been an issue at all.

Thanks for your time in posting the above, i'll continue to do what I do then by making sure I don't go over my 2300mg recommended by MFP and by cutting 1000cals a day and should (fingers crossed) see a weight loss soon.

I've also started the couch to 5k running to increase metabolism to shift a few lbs.

Cheers
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    You are good on the salt. Just make sure your logging is accurate. Weigh ALL solids, especially things like cheese and peanut butter, and measure all liquids. If you still aren't losing at your desired rate, simply adjust your calorie goal as needed. The number MFP gives you is pretty good but it is still only an estimate.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'6 and 90 pounds

Seriously?? :noway: Is there a typo in there somewhere?

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    i eat anywhere from 200-600 mg of sodium in addition to 10+ cups of water per day and i have no bloating whatsoever! granted i'm 5'6 and 90 pounds so my situation is a bit different than yours. i recommend lowering your intake of sodium to around 1400mg per day and then see if you have any changes.

You have a bmi of 14?
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    i eat anywhere from 200-600 mg of sodium in addition to 10+ cups of water per day and i have no bloating whatsoever! granted i'm 5'6 and 90 pounds so my situation is a bit different than yours. i recommend lowering your intake of sodium to around 1400mg per day and then see if you have any changes.

I seriously think you need to get some expert help if you are really 5'6 and only 90 pounds. You are severely underweight for your height. I have huge concerns for you health and wellbeing.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    My weight isn't going down as much I as I expected (1.5 to 2lb per week), is this due to salt retention? I drink a lot of water to try and flush it out but I stick within the 2300mg of sodium allowed per day, I eat 1800mg a day on average.

Is this still too much even though its lower than what MFP recommend?

If it helps I am 32 male, 6ft5 and 282lbs

1.5 to 2 lbs per week is a perfectly healthy weight loss rate. I think the only issue is that you may be a bit unrealistic with your goal for weekly weight loss.

I would keep doing what you are doing, and just understand that you don't have a huge amount to lose and it will take time. Plus your loss rate is going to slow down as you get closer to your goal.
  • Scandinavianblonde00
    Scandinavianblonde00 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think that's an excuse.. I eat tons of salty food and intentionally drink beverages with salt content on race days. It has not even remotely made me bloat