Lower back/leg pain. Anyone else?

Options
So since I started lifting I've started to get some leg & lower back pain. I started using knee sleeves to help when I lift, which it did & I started using a lifting belt but stopped.
But now, I've got horrible lower back pain that shoots into my leg.
I'm thinking I'm lifting too much or not the right form, but I honestly believe I lifted a box at work the wrong way (which wasn't even heavy lol) but what do you guys do for the pain?
If it continues I will be going to the chiropractor.
At first I thought it was a muscle strain, but my mom thinks it might be a nerve or pulled muscle. Waaaahhh.

Replies

• zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Sometimes chriopractor but I do a few days of rest and anti inflammatory meds
  • ParadigmShifter
    ParadigmShifter Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    If you don't already, taking a magnesium and/or an electrolyte supplement could help. It also depends on the type of exercises you are doing. Overworked/underworked muscles = muscle imbalances = pain
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    If it's a "shooting" pain down your leg and your back also hurts, it's likely an impinged nerve. Rest and don't do any back exercises until you see is subsides. If not, go see an orthopedist to get an assessment.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    "Horrible lower back pain" should have you going to a doctor. Actual pain, rather than muscle soreness, is never good. Lay off the lifting until you have it straightened out. Don't try pushing through it.

I have tweaked my back doing exceedingly mundane tasks. Once I did it while bending over the sink to spit out toothpaste :neutral:
  • TashaaaKayeee
    TashaaaKayeee Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    Could be improper technique. Are you doing squats and/or deadlifts? Any bent-over rows?

No dead lifts. But I do squats & bent over rows. Not even heavy weights though!
    I'm thinking my squats could be the wrong technique. I'm trying to get better at those.
  • TashaaaKayeee
    TashaaaKayeee Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    "Horrible lower back pain" should have you going to a doctor. Actual pain, rather than muscle soreness, is never good. Lay off the lifting until you have it straightened out. Don't try pushing through it.

I have tweaked my back doing exceedingly mundane tasks. Once I did it while bending over the sink to spit out toothpaste :neutral:

I guess I shouldn't say horrible back pain lol. More like achy when I don't exercise but when I bend over to stand too long, it starts to hurt, sometimes a lot. I've been taking it easy from the gym.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    If by pain you mean soreness, my whole body hurts by end of the week.
    If it's true pain, chances are is poor form and you need to raither take it easy or have it checked out.
  • ParadigmShifter
    ParadigmShifter Posts: 289 Member
    Options
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I guess I shouldn't say horrible back pain lol. More like achy when I don't exercise but when I bend over to stand too long, it starts to hurt, sometimes a lot. I've been taking it easy from the gym.

I am totally confused.

It's horrible back pain but not horrible back pain.

It aches when you are not exercising. Does it hurt when you do exercise?

It hurts when you bend over to stand too long. What does that mean? Do you stand around bent over with your head dangling downward?

Nobody can help you if you can't even articulate what is wrong.
  • susanhung22
    susanhung22 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I deadlifted last week and basically injured my back. My left lower back is uncomfortable and also goes down to my leg and i deffs feel it in my glutes so its perfectly normal since every part of our body is connected. What ive been doing is yoga 2 times a daily and foam rolling. Ill be going back to the gym after a total of 2 weeks active rest
  • sarahkeyglobal
    sarahkeyglobal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As a physiotherapist dealing solely with back pain and problem backs I'm here to tell you that lifting weights is something to be taken extremely carefully if you do not want to be dogged for a lifetime with the problem back. Technique is everything, but it was the best of techniques 'deadlifts' will always be a problem. See page, cttllv7l91d7.png
    Lifting weights becomes significant if you bear in mind that most spinal problems stem from the spinal segments being too jammed together, especially at the base. If you lift weights routinely, you can help yourself a great deal by doing your own spinal decompression every day. You will see in the small self-help regime attached, that lower abdominal strengthening goes hand in glove with spinal decompression. This points to why having a kidney belt is so important with lifting. See b4xqka00x39h.png
  • donald30263123
    donald30263123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I suffered for years. I had an op 8 yrs ago best thing I ever did....
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I deadlifted last week and basically injured my back. My left lower back is uncomfortable and also goes down to my leg and i deffs feel it in my glutes so its perfectly normal since every part of our body is connected. What ive been doing is yoga 2 times a daily and foam rolling. Ill be going back to the gym after a total of 2 weeks active rest

There's nothing normal about back pain that causes pain to shoot down a leg. Common? Maybe, but definitely not normal. That's called sciatica and it's from something sitting too close to the nerve, be it your piriformis muscle or a blown out disc.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem before. It was a pinched nerve. I went to the dr. and got muscle relaxers and an anti-inflammatory, which helped. The first time was about 8 years ago and it has popped up every one or two years. I just had a bout of it last week and I'm trying to find a more natural alternative to the drugs I am usually prescribed. If it is the same problem I have, then it will get worse if it's not treated. I would take it easy from exercise until you can see someone.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    If you were torqued or twisted lifting and you strained, your piriformis and flute muscles could spasm around this and theoretically cause leg and back pain that comes and goes. Foam rolling to flutes and piriformis is an easy thing to try, or roll on two tennis balls in a sock. Not medical advice but worth a try.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Sorry, spellcheck error, *glutes not flutes!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Yes. I get this for two reasons. One, being piriformis syndrome. The piriformis is a muscle in the glute and when it is inflamed it can pinch the sciatic nerve. The other is a tight psoas (abdominal muscles). I fix both with a massage and/or self myofascial release with a lacrosse ball.

I'm currently nursing the tight psoas. I had to leave my workout the other day. My back hurts so badly it is difficult for me to dress myself. I should have it worked out by Wednesday if I keep up with the lacrosse ball.

Look those up and see if they meet your symptoms.