Weightlifting for women?

Options
Hey guys I'm very interested in weightlifting and machines and all that but I don't know where to start, if you have expierence with any weightlifting programs for women please let me know! Something that a beginner could do and something that's 4 times a week would be perfect thankyou!

Replies

• Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I've heard great things about NROLFW

I personally stay away from things targeting just women simply because as of the exercises get so silly. I can do all the lifts men can do, just maybe not as much upper body. I don't think NROLFW is like this though.

I personally started with stronglifts 5x5.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    a lot of people recommend strongcurves - personally I use muscle and strength workouts that are more targeted towards specific goals than gender and it has links to videos so you can check how to do/form etc
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Here is a helpful link which shows you all the different lifting programs. Ones that are designed for women are Strong Curves, New Rules of Lifting for Women, Thinner Leaner Stronger.. (not sure if there are others but those are the most popular ones) the other beginner programs are great too and can be done by both men and women... Strong Lifts, Starting Strength etc.

I loved Strong Curves, due to the focus on the glutes and lower body. It is a 3-4 day full body and has a beginner program.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I second Strong Curves
  • katytrail1
    katytrail1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    all pro beginner program. very simple to follow and 3 days/week. use your4th day for cardo. tons of success stories from Men and women. i love this program, bc its simple to follow. i can focus on learning the lifts and imagining myself reaching my goals.
  • susanhung22
    susanhung22 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    For anything free, go to YouTube or instagram. Its easy because if u search fitness or powerlifting or body building.. you're bound to get something good out of it because the results are filtered to have the most popular (assuming athletes who know their *kitten*) one the first page. People like omarisuf, whittney simmons, silent mike.. all really informational youtubers.
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Nothing beats weights for the body I find. I was doing bodyweight then I jumped back to weights. big difference bodywise.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I started out with strong lifts 5x5 then moved on to 5/3/1, didn't bother with anything specifically targeted towards females.
    5x5 is generally done on a 3 day split (although I only had the 2 days where I could train). I'd use the 4 th day to either do cardio (bleugh) or concentrate on one lift out of the 5 and work on form with lower weight higher rep.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I also like stronglifts 5 x 5 as it is basic and that works for me. I'm not keen on programmes that require lots of different exercises to do each workout.
  • ninthnarnian
    ninthnarnian Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I started the New Rules of Lifting for Women about a month ago, and have had good results.