Ate Greek yogurt for the first time...

Options

Replies

• VlpW
    VlpW Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Fage whole milk or 2% reigns supreme. It's fluffier with an almost cheese-like effect. I love to plop some sugar free jam in the middle of a bowl of it and dip Wheat Thins in it! I also love to mix sugar free instant pudding mix into Greek yogurt. It magically makes this cheesecake texture that is wonderful, especially with graham cracker crumbs. I use the less expensive fat free Kroger brand for that. These indulge my obvious sweet tooth, lol.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried it savory? The tartness lends itself better to savory flavors. Try the plain kind using it as a spread on bread like you would cream cheese. It also works nicely if you add garlic powder, paprika...etc to it and use it as a veggie dip. I have grown up eating it and I still can't do the sweetened kind, except when I make a plain greek yogurt and grapes sandwich.

I forgot to mention that most varieties here come already lightly salted, so you may want to add a bit of salt.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    cpage86 wrote: »
    Figure if it is an acquired taste hopefully I'll have it acquired by then.
    Was Chobani 0% blueberry fruit in the bottom type.
    Carry on.
    It was an acquired taste for me and I make my own and eat it straight with no sweetener or fruit. I love it now. I didn't like beer at first either.

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried it savory? The tartness lends itself better to savory flavors. Try the plain kind using it as a spread on bread like you would cream cheese. It also works nicely if you add garlic powder, paprika...etc to it and use it as a veggie dip. I have grown up eating it and I still can't do the sweetened kind, except when I make a plain greek yogurt and grapes sandwich.

Although I love Greek yogurt drizzled with honey, I have also been using it extensively on baked potatoes and mixed into tomato or squash soup. Awesome in so many different ways, and helps me nail my protein macro.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I tried it for the first time this week too. I'm LOVING the Oikos brand. I grabbed the 100g/100 calorie 4-packs. Strawberry, blueberry, black cherry, and raspberry-pomegranate. There was a 4/$8 sale so I got four different flavors to see what I would like, they're all delicious. What I do is mix a serving of Harvest Crunch cereal into it. Makes for a nice light balanced meal.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    VlpW wrote: »
    Fage whole milk or 2% reigns supreme. It's fluffier with an almost cheese-like effect. I love to plop some sugar free jam in the middle of a bowl of it and dip Wheat Thins in it! I also love to mix sugar free instant pudding mix into Greek yogurt. It magically makes this cheesecake texture that is wonderful, especially with graham cracker crumbs. I use the less expensive fat free Kroger brand for that. These indulge my obvious sweet tooth, lol.

I tried this, it did not mix well and made my yogurt really gross which was upsetting because I loved the idea :/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Although I love Greek yogurt drizzled with honey, I have also been using it extensively on baked potatoes and mixed into tomato or squash soup. Awesome in so many different ways, and helps me nail my protein macro.

0% Fage really does strike me as a sour cream substitute. I eat it with roasted it baked potatoes sometimes, and the soup idea is good. I also like using it as a dip for apples or raw vegetables.

Going back a bit, I tried the almond butter/yogurt thing today (although I had a less thick yogurt) -- quite tasty, will repeat!
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »
    i second the dannon. . i use their greek vanilla to make my own fruit and yogurt parfaits with protein granola. . and occasionaly a little PB2 mixed in. . mmm pb&j.

This is what I buy too, the dannon light & fit greek vanilla and add 3g PB2 powder and mix it in... omg it tastes like a nutter butter cookie <3
  • yancystreet
    yancystreet Posts: 38 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Tillamook vanilla.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    Absolutely try various brands to find what you like, the yogurt reflects the milk used.

I'm partial to all the Stoneyfield variants (regular and Greek, with a pleasant organic milk source) and Cabot (available from my usual grocery stores); I usually avoid Chobani. My alternates are Fage and store brands when I can't get my preferred. I'm in the USA Middle Atlantic area.

I admit I actually don't EAT yogurt that much, although I go thru 1-2 qts/wk for family cooking purposes. I use plain, full-fat yogurts in daily smoothies and as marinade and dip/salad dressing bases (sometimes low-fat but never no-fat for these purposes). I sometimes just eat the bottom 1/2 cup or so of a tub by itself or with fresh fruit if I want to empty the tub and have a "treat" at the same time.

I meant also to say, I recently tried Skyr, an Icelandic yogurt. Very good, very thick and creamy, but available only in smaller cups and locally only at Whole Foods. I'd have to make a special trip to get it.
  • JPotamus
    JPotamus Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Cabot is a good brand.

I do tend to use Greek yogurt plain as a sour cream substitute and am happy with the taste and texture.

I agree, it does lend itself well to savory dishes.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    It took me awhile to find a good Greek yogurt that I could tolerate. The only one I'll eat is Dannon Light and Fit, strawberry or strawberry banana. I don't like anything else.
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    broseidonkingofbrocean Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If you dislike the 0% fat you could always try it with fat. The one I tried had like 3g of fat per little cup and it made a huge difference in flavor. If anything you could always just mix it in with your protein shake, cook with it, etc..
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    ElvenToad wrote: »
    ktekc wrote: »
    i second the dannon. . i use their greek vanilla to make my own fruit and yogurt parfaits with protein granola. . and occasionaly a little PB2 mixed in. . mmm pb&j.

This is what I buy too, the dannon light & fit greek vanilla and add 3g PB2 powder and mix it in... omg it tastes like a nutter butter cookie <3

try adding fresh strawberries or blackberries. . . mmmm yummy
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Absolutely try various brands to find what you like, the yogurt reflects the milk used.

I'm partial to all the Stoneyfield variants (regular and Greek, with a pleasant organic milk source) and Cabot (available from my usual grocery stores); I usually avoid Chobani. My alternates are Fage and store brands when I can't get my preferred. I'm in the USA Middle Atlantic area.

I admit I actually don't EAT yogurt that much, although I go thru 1-2 qts/wk for family cooking purposes. I use plain, full-fat yogurts in daily smoothies and as marinade and dip/salad dressing bases (sometimes low-fat but never no-fat for these purposes). I sometimes just eat the bottom 1/2 cup or so of a tub by itself or with fresh fruit if I want to empty the tub and have a "treat" at the same time.

I meant also to say, I recently tried Skyr, an Icelandic yogurt. Very good, very thick and creamy, but available only in smaller cups and locally only at Whole Foods. I'd have to make a special trip to get it.
    @mjbnj0001 I have seen Skyr Icelandinc yogurt at Wegmans. Is there one nearby your home ?
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Absolutely try various brands to find what you like, the yogurt reflects the milk used...

...( omitted )...

... I meant also to say, I recently tried Skyr, an Icelandic yogurt. Very good, very thick and creamy, but available only in smaller cups and locally only at Whole Foods. I'd have to make a special trip to get it.

@mjbnj0001 I have seen Skyr Icelandinc yogurt at Wegmans. Is there one nearby your home ?

Thanks for the lead. About 10 mi/35 min. Whole Foods slightly closer. I know that might seem close to some folks, but like many, I'm usually a little time-constrained, so I "save up" special market trips for multiple items not available more nearby. Now I can scout out Wegemans for other items, too. Thanks again.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a fan of Greek yogurt for a long time. I got some different brands and level of fat and finally found a few I really like and a few I can tolerate (if in a pinch). I love Yoplait Greek 100, but my grocery store stopped carrying it. It's non-fat, but is blended and has that familiar Yoplait taste. And at 100 calories with 14g protein, its awesome.

I usually get Tillamook Farmstyle Greek 2%. 140 calories but super yummy and also 14g protein.

I will eat Chobani in a pinch and can't stomach Fage.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Just had dinner with my sister and she was going on about how she didn't like greek yogurt but got talked into trying Siggi (skyr) and really liked it. So another reference point!
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Chobani = yuck. We even bought their brank tzatziki on the weekend and it was equally gross. Other brands of greek yoghurt are fine though. I don't buy the fruit ones, but I do like the plain greek yoghurt for cooking. Makes a nice chicken curry.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I just buy a 1kg tub of plain Greek yogurt and flavour the whole thing with flavdrops from Myprotein. Eating plain yogurt makes my face contort, i need to add a flavouring agent to cut through the tartness.