Considering a new HRM. Advice?

Options
Hi everyone,

I currently have a MIO petite heart rate monitor that I wear. It's a watch and in order to get my heart rate and accurately calculate my calories burned during a workout, I have to press buttons on the watch all the time. It's very frustrating as when I get sweaty, or if I don't hold the buttons exactly right, it won't give me a reading or will give me a reading that I know is inaccurate.

As a result, I'd like to get a HRM that I can wear as a chest strap or an armband that will read my heart rate consistently through my entire workout, not just when I have to physically check it. Does that make sense?

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've heard the Polar FT4 is a sensible choice. I don't want to pay too much!

Thanks!

Lauren

Replies

• Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this too. Been thinking about investing in one. I'd like to know the best ones
  • deanmarino
    deanmarino Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 or FT7 are excellent choices. I have the FT7 and absolutely love it!

Regards.
  • JessicaMarie9382
    Options
    I am also looking for a simle, good quality, inexpensive HRM.
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I've got the Polar FT4, I got it cheap as chips secondhand on Ebay and it works a treat xx
  • myurk
    myurk Posts: 108
    Options
    I just bought the Suunto M2 and it seems to be working great. At different retail stores they had recommended Suunto over the Polar, claiming that Polar is not very accurate. . . depends who you ask I guess.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I have a polar as well. Love it. So easy to use. Like that I can wear it swimming.... LOVE IT
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT4 - it's awesome. I like it a LOT better than my old IronMan Timex one.

the Polar FT4 is great - you can toggle easily between readings of cals burned, time, current heart rate etc. Plus it records up to 10 workouts.

the FT7 - I think is the next one up. and it has same features + records up to 99 workouts and you can upload into the Polar site to track workouts. I think it's about $25 more.

I used the Ft4 the last 3 days and really liking it.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Here is a good article that helped me decide on my Polar FT7 and I love it:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

I went through 5 different brands/types before actually keeping this one -- the calories burned were wildly innacurate especially on the touch only ones... this one matches the tests at the gym so it feels more reliable to me.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on here use the Polar FT4 or FT7. Pretty much the same except for a $20 price difference because the FT7 tells you whether you are in a "fat burn" heart rate range or "fitness" heart rate range and the FT7 saves 99 workouts instead of the 10 an FT4 stores. Also, you can upload your workout reports if ya buy an adaptor or something I think with the FT7.

Personally, I just got a Polar FT7 and so far love it. I think the Polar's are popular because they are in the $50-100 range that people are comfortable with and they are pretty user friendly and have the basic features that most people need/want. I have seen the FT4 around $55 on Amazon.com and the FT7 around $75 on Amazon with free shipping.

There are other good ones as well, such as the Garmins, but I didn't need GPS
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I am currently looking too and when I asked the same question, I got the same answers...polar ft4! I also had several people say "sportsline" I think is what it's called, a little less expensive.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 or FT7 should work just fine for you.

Read the article that another person posted.. it really is helpful.

Stay away from Timex.. the calorie count tends to be through the roof!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I use an older model Polar F6 and I love it.
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    I've been thinking about getting one as well. Do they all have a chest strap? And is it uncomfortable? Thanks!
  • Autumn_P
    Autumn_P Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am currently looking too and when I asked the same question, I got the same answers...polar ft4! I also had several people say "sportsline" I think is what it's called, a little less expensive.

I'm also wanting to buy one. And have had the same replies. Polar ft4 or ft7. I have also heard the Sportsline is good too from a few people (who seem to be avid runners)
  • joeygirl84
    joeygirl84 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT4! with the chest strap... I got it for 80.00 on the internet... heartratemonitorsusa.com

:)
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    heartratemonitorsusa.com
    Polar FT60 - 152.99
    Comes with chest strap and also calculates Vo2max!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • drog2323
    Options

yep - I agree! My Timex one was probably 30-40% higher in cals burned....the Polar seems much more accurate, although not as happy seeing 400 cals burned instead of 550.
  • drog2323
    Options
    I've been thinking about getting one as well. Do they all have a chest strap? And is it uncomfortable? Thanks!

I heard the most accurate ones have chest straps. the polar FT4 I have, is pretty comfortable. I wouldn't want to wear it all day, but for an hour or so, it's no problem.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

yep - I agree! My Timex one was probably 30-40% higher in cals burned....the Polar seems much more accurate, although not as happy seeing 400 cals burned instead of 550.

Lol... My timex told me that for 30 min of walking on a treadmill at a speed of 3.0 for 30 min that I burned 580 calories.. I do the same exercise with my polar and burn about 300-350... I was like more then a 200 calorie difference.. thats a lot!
  • missxlaur
    missxlaur Posts: 286
    Options
    just ordered a polar ft4! thanks everyone :)