Cooked chicken breast calories

Options
Enjcg5
Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
Can someone please tell me the correct number of calories in 4oz of COOKED boneless skinless chicken breast. Or point me to a credible source. Im getting 160-230 calories (and everything in between). I will account for the olive oil I cook it jn separately. Just want the chicken total!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is looking for USDA and 100 grams. This is typical for people using a food scale. If you have a scale set it to grams.

Each ounce = 28.35 grams, so x4 = 113.4 grams. Take the 100 grams & use a serving size of 1.134
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Here's the USDA site: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

You should be able to find the same entries in MFP using the exact wording, they will have lots of unit options.

Cooked chicken breast, dry heat is: Chicken, broilers or fryers, breast, meat only, cooked, roasted

It's about 46 calories/oz, so for 4 oz it would be about 187 calories.

Some of the entries include added fat, some are just wrong, some are based on package information that includes a marinade or injected solution.

• attorneyevans
    attorneyevans Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had/have the same problem. On the back of the packaging for the skinless boneless breast (that I bought at Market Basket - in NH) it said 4oz (112g) was 120 calories with 24g protein. Amazing how difficult this information is to come by and with no go-to reliable authority.
  • attorneyevans
    Options
    But I have seen it all over the place under 200 calories for plain skinless chicken.
  • attorneyevans
    Options
    Range all over the place for the 4oz amount
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    I had/have the same problem. On the back of the packaging for the skinless boneless breast (that I bought at Market Basket - in NH) it said 4oz (112g) was 120 calories with 24g protein. Amazing how difficult this information is to come by and with no go-to reliable authority.

That is for the raw weight/calories. When you cook it, it will weigh a lot less.
  • attorneyevans
    Options
    I'm sure I'm just not used to it but the USDA site is not straight forward.
  • 7sorok
    7sorok Posts: 112 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    LOL. Try to find calories for corn on the cob, fresh, cooked or uncooked, no salt, no butter. It's all over the place and USDA site is murky too
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    It's not!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
  • lemurcat12
    Options

What's the issue? It is straightforward, but I am sure it takes some getting used to.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

USDA has 136 calories for 112 g of raw boneless, skinless chicken breast. That's non branded, it's what I use if I get it from a local farm or butcher.

When it's packaged, you should use the information on the package, since there may be a saline solution or some such injected. That's common, and since it adds water without adding calories, it will reduce calories per oz.
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    For measuring out your cooked chicken breast, I would go by this information:
    https://tinyurl.com/kdg6ukm
    It's for roasted, cooked chicken breast. It has no oil calculated in, so you can add your oil in separately. : )

Search the Food Database for this: "Generic - Cooked Skinless Chicken Breast USDA"
    Look for the one that says 165 calories for 3.5 oz. This information corresponds to USDA's nutrition label in the link.
    Since you have 4 oz of chicken, change the serving size to 1.14 (4÷3.5 ≈ 1.14) Your 4 oz of cooked chicken should be 188 calories. Hope this helped!
  • Lpaige89
    Lpaige89 Posts: 22 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I find it more accurate and easier to say cook a whole pack of raw chicken that I know the weight for and figure out total calories. Then I just split it up into whatever amount of servings I need and divide the calories accordingly.

Hope that helps, this just works for me :)
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options

What is written in the package is for uncooked/raw meat. You can add what ever ingredient you used to cook the chicken, beef, pork, etc. in MFP (food diary or recipe builder), and the system will calculate the total calories for the amount that you ate.