Excersise Question

Options
Hi All,

Another week has begun and I hope your weight loss journey is fantastic this week :smiley:

My current daily exercise consists of 30 mins of stationary bike and walking (counting over 10,000 steps per day with a Garmin Activity tracker).

I would like to add in strength training 3 days a week.

I am thinking that to start with that this would possibly be some dumbbell workouts whilst I exercise on the bike. (I am thinking 3 training days like this and 3 just of bike)

My question is: Should I add these strength training into my exercise for the day, as well as the bike or should I just leave it as that I exercised on the bike for that day.

I don't want to over estimate the calories that I have burnt for the day.

thanks so much for your help
Clo :blush:

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    You are going to lift dumbbells while you are riding the bike?

You don't need to log dumbbell training unless it's heavy cardio based circuit training. I've been lifting heavy *kitten* weights for years and have not logged a single workout as exercise.
  • Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    What does your dumbbell with bike workout consist of?
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Add strength training on bike days. Unless you're doing some horrendous amount of cycling, you should have enough stamina to do weights as well.
  • Clo_Buffie
    Clo_Buffie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I havn't completed any strength training on the bike yet but I am thinking of Bicep, triceps, and back work :smiley:
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Clo_Buffie wrote: »
    I havn't completed any strength training on the bike yet but I am thinking of Bicep, triceps, and back work :smiley:

Do not do your strength training on the bike. It is not safe, nor is it effective.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I do quite a bit of a cycling both outside and on a trainer. While it is possible to lift weights while doing it (though not legal on city streets), the distraction would result in a less effective cycling workout. Overall, you would likely burn fewer calories than by cycling alone.
  • nFoooo
    nFoooo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Don't half-*kitten* two things, whole-*kitten* one thing!
  • kenjhammond65
    kenjhammond65 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Resistance train on non cycling days. That way you're focused on one training method per day. You get the benefit of more frequent activity. With healthy eating and sleeping you should be able to handle recovering from both types of workouts.