Feeling discouraged

Options
Hi there,

I've been keeping track faithfully for at least 6 weeks. I'm enjoying the app calculator. I put everything I eat and stay under 2000 calories 95% of the time as far as i can tell. But I am stuck in losing weight. I've lost about 8 pounds and I am stuck there for 3 weeks. Anyone I can be friends with here to uplift one another? I'll keep at it but the same weight and even gaining a pound sometimes is frustrating and a little upsetting.
Thanks for reading.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What are your stats?

Do you weigh everything you eat with scales?
  • haifaguy
    haifaguy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Stats? I'm new here. Also, I don't weigh all my food. I hear that's your point. Thanks
  • haifaguy
    Options
    I prefer encouragement rather than being criticized. I told you I'm already discouraged.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    haifaguy wrote: »
    I prefer encouragement rather than being criticized. I told you I'm already discouraged.

It's actually really helpful advice to get you headed in the right direction again. I get that you're frustrated, but give it some serious consideration. Many of us have been there and figured it out the hard way.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Seriously, you need to weigh all of your food on a food scale. Measuring cups and eyeballing it out really don't help. You always want to look for the correct entries in the food database, I search things for "USDA" that have a 100g serving. These calories are usually taken from the USDA food database and are usually the most accurate.

For example, if I eat a banana, I peal it, put the portion I'm going to eat on the scale, and use the number of grams I'm going to eat EXACTLY into the food calculator based on "Banana USDA"

It takes a bit of practice, but you have to make the food calculator work for you.
  • amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Weighing and measuring your food is very helpful. You may be eating more than you think without even knowing it. They are only trying to be helpful.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You can do this...don't give up! :) There is a learning curve and it took me some time to figure out weighing food and to realize how important it is.
  • LaGrandePeche
    LaGrandePeche Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hang in there bud! Maybe incorporate some exercise? You can do it dude! Also, I would maybe write down what your eating and weigh it!

Cheers :smile:
  • haifaguy
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone. I'll start weighing the food. That must be where I've been failing for 3 weeks now.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone. I'll start weighing the food. That must be where I've been failing for 3 weeks now.

YOU GOT THIS!
  • skibunni516
    skibunni516 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am discouraged, too. Needing some encouragement. I have signed up for hal marathon in November. I need to have energy to train. I am ready to lose weight. My schedule is crazy. Trying to make time for me. I be your workout friend.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Give it a go. Inaccurate logging is one of the most common problems that occur. Seems wise to start by getting that sorted. Let us know how you get along with it. People here are great at problem solving.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    It's s tough nut to crack, but you'll get there! Keep an open mind and try new things. It's not so bad if you look at it like a science project!

3 weeks is an excellent start--you've been working hard so far, you can keep going and making modifications to see what happens. Why not, huh?

Also, you'll see there are a lot of different approaches here. Gentle, tough love, encouraging, brutal, cheerleaders and drill sargents. Pick what works for you and don't worry about what doesn't. What's important is that you stick around! Welcome! ^_^
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh anything, except myself, but that's my choice. If you're stuck at the same weight for 6 weeks it probably means you're eating as much as you're consuming, so to break that you could try cutting your calories a little bit and/or increasing your exercising. The key thing is to not get so discouraged you give up.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Repeat after me: Weight loss is not linear. I will not lose weight every single week. Some weeks, I might even gain. That is normal. That does not mean I'm failing, or broken, or should give up.

You've gotten great advice re: measuring and weighing food, so I won't repeat that. It's true though :smile: