where to start?!?!?

Options
stainbackzoo
stainbackzoo Posts: 81 Member
I am at my highest non pregnancy weight and don't even know where to start for a weight loss journey! I have been reading a lot on the internet and am overwhelmed with options... counting calories? Paleo? Intermittent fasting? whole 30?
any insight on where to start?? :s
thanks!!

Replies

• ParadigmShifter
    ParadigmShifter Posts: 289 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Simple. Just start eating unadulterated foods. Chicken, rice, sweet potatoes, etc. Whole30 isn't a bad choice but it depends on if a "cold turkey" approach is good for you. Some people do better with gradual change while others do better with radical change.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Just start by counting calories and ensuring that you're in a deficit. You may find that you don't need a special diet in order to meet your goals.
  • marelthu
    marelthu Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm not expert at this stuff - who is? - but once my dietitian gave my my daily calorie goal - 1300 - I just started eating a good amount of protein, lots of veg, some fruit and left some calories for a treat. Made sure I weigh my food, logged it on MFP. I got some exercise everyday and that's it. Nothing unique and or odd. So far I've lost 36 lbs. There are 50,000 diet plans on the internet but for me it's about learning to eat properly in a sustainable, life-long way. Good luck! You'll do great.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical issue there's no need to try a special diet.

Just begin by entering your information in MFP including a weight loss goal which isn't too aggressive. You can always change it later once you get the hang of things. Then try logging what you're eating now for a few days so you get some idea of where you might be able to make improvements.

Gradually cut down on portions and/or switch out some of your higher calorie foods for ones that will still satisfy you with fewer calories. Buy a food scale to weigh your foods and get used to logging every meal, snack, drink, condiment etc. Pay attention to your macros; Carbs, Fat and Protein, and adjust your diary as necessary to get close to these goals.

After a couple of weeks you'll see where you need to make changes and then you can really get to work. As you go along add exercise into the mix, even if it's just a short walk for now, and you'll be able to eat a few of those calories back as well. Exercise isn't necessary to lose weight but it's good for you and it'll make you feel great about yourself..........that's just my opinion of course.

It's simple math really, just eat less than the amount of calories you burn everyday and you'll lose weight. It's not a race and it's not complicated. Read the success stories here and as many of the informative posts as you can and you'll get the hang of it very quickly.

Remember, you're changing old habits into new healthy habits that you'll want to sustain you for a lifetime so don't try things that you won't be able to do long term. They may give you temporary results but chances are they won't last.

Good luck and I wish you great success!
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Good places to start...
    1: Get a food scale, and a full assortment of measuring cups. Be meticulous about tracking EVERYthing you eat. What you eat is far less important than HOW MUCH.
    2. Use this site/app and get yourself on a moderate calorie deficit (usually -500/day works for most people). I use step goal bodyweight x10 for my daily intake. So right now I'm 165, and will continue to eat at 1600/day until I'm 160.

Like some others have said, no need for any special diet protocols. ALSO know that weight loss typically isn't linear, so just because you're setting up to lose 1lb per week (or whatever you decide on) doesn't mean that's always going to happen.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Every single diet with a name, every single way of eating to lose weight, all rely on calories in being less than calories out.

Count calories. Don't worry about sticking to a random set of rules and restrictions past that, because its not necessary unless you have a medical reason to eliminate or limit certain foods or macro/micronutrients.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I've been on just about every single diet ever devised. I've lost hundreds if not thousands of pounds. I've even maintained weight loss for years at a time, but never permanently.

I have to agree with the above poster that it's all about eating fewer calories than you burn. It's just that some eating plans make that easier or more difficult depending on your tastes, preferences, lifestyle, body chemistry, etc.

I'd start by filling out the information on MFP that figures out how many calories you should be eating. Then just start logging your calories. Then you can make changes based on how that's working for you. I tend to do better with higher fat and protein and a clean-ish diet. I tend to do better when I have preset menu like a meal delivery service. My sister has lost 60+ lbs restricting calories and eating nothing but what I consider junk food and sugar. That's her preference and what works for her.

You have to experiment with what will work for you. But no matter which style of eating works best, you do have to limit calories.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    You're in the right place. Like the others I advise you to start by finding out how many calories you should eat a day to create a deficit (MFP helps with that) and then logging regularly and correctly. You can exercise if you want, but you don't have to. This is what I've done and I'm down nearly 70lbs.
  • ChasDomenici
    ChasDomenici Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you asked this!!! I'm in the same boat. I have never been as big as I am now, and the only excuse I have is I eat to much food! I have read through all these great responses and it's completely motivated me to really focus on using this site and the tools it gives me. Count those calories and get some steps in
  • dadsafrantic
    dadsafrantic Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    everyone is right. eat clean, make it yourself if possible. track activity and log everything using a scale by the gram. i personally have had great success with 16-8 intermittent fasting. mostly because i was a grazer with too much access to "convenient" food. now i am mindful of when and what i eat. i also eat what i want just in a deficit. go easy on yourself and be reasonable.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Just start by counting calories and ensuring that you're in a deficit. You may find that you don't need a special diet in order to meet your goals.

^^This.

Also, having the information from tracking will help you see what sort of foods are most satiating for you (this varies from individual to individual), what meal patterns (three large, five or six small, big breakfast, small breakfast, no breakfast, etc.) are most helpful to you in adhering to your calorie goal. That, in turn, can help you decide if you want to go with one of the special diets.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    everyone is right.eat clean, make it yourself if possible. track activity and log everything using a scale by the gram. i personally have had great success with 16-8 intermittent fasting. mostly because i was a grazer with too much access to "convenient" food. now i am mindful of when and what i eat. i also eat what i want just in a deficit. go easy on yourself and be reasonable.

Eating clean or homemade is not required to lose weight successfully....
  • saberika87
    saberika87 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Start by logging everything you eat as acuratly as possible.
    Second MFP will give you a calorie goal if you enter your stats. Aim for 1 lb a week and eat less then you burn.
    Third remember you didn't gain overnight and losing weight is a slow and steady wins the race thing not a sprint
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    It's very simple. Just eat less and move more. Don't worry about eating clean at first or watching carbs or protein, etc, etc. Get the basics down and then you can move on from there. Seriously, don't worry about the rest. Losing weight is all about eating less calories than you burn. What you eat doesn't make a difference. Eating clean is healthier but isn't necessary for weight loss.

Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be.