Quick On The Go Snacks/Meals?

Options
SoUnaware
SoUnaware Posts: 85 Member
Hey there! I have a really busy schedule most week days. I work in-home for autistic children so often times my "breaks" are spent in the car driving from one house to the other. Otherwise I have ten minutes to half an hour in my house for lunches and I'm running low on ideas for quick snacks/meals. Sandwiches and home made trail mix are all I have and they get old fast. :(
Ideas?

Replies

• jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I've been eating the chocolate/oat Fiber One bars for a while and just discovered their Mocha flavor. HEAVENLY.
  • SoUnaware
    Options
    Thanks! I haven't tried them. :)
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I like the Brother's Co. freeze dried fruit. It's all natural and about 40 calories per serving. I keep little pre-portioned bags of almonds and raisins in my purse. what about pre-measured popcorn? protein bars and fiber one bars are good choices but they can get expensive. Fruit is a good on the go snack too, or cut up pre-portioned veggies...
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    The only way I get my meals in, is if I prepare the night before.. Sometimes it's left overs.. sometimes its a new meal.
    If I leave it to chance I usually eat something unhealthy.

Planning ahead works great for new sandwiches, pasta, and 100 Cal snacks. :happy:

Bon Appetite! :heart:
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Do you have some time to cook for yourself on the weekends?
  • kuhristeee
    kuhristeee Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Campbell's soups! They make for a really quick lunch and there's so much variety. A lot of them are low calorie and they have several selections with lower sodium as well. Some of my favorites have only 175 calories for an entire can, but even if you have a serving of saltine crackers (5 crackers) that only makes the whole meal about 235 calories. :) Just a thought!
  • Jacordero85
    Options
    I pack a Pita loaf with about 2oz of Humus to get me through the day. Or try a low/no fat cottage cheese with some no sugar added peaches. You can get small mason jars or little glad-ware containers and make your own "fruit cups". The laughing cow cheese with a handful of pretzels. Celery with goat cheese. Half a bagel with some natural peanut butter or nutella.

I could go on all day!
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Nuts are a great way to get protein and healthy fats.
    Fruit and veggies (apples, blueberries, baby carrots, avocado {cut that puppy in half and grab a spoon and dig in})
    Cliff Hanger make some pretty tasty protein bars.
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I carry a cooler around with me in my car. I am in sales and am stopping to see customers all day long and in my car for the most part. It sounds a lot like your job. I will mix yogurt and fruit and sometimes add some high fiber cereal to my yogurt mix, 2 bottles of water, and a protein bar for my snacks and keep them in my cooler bag with ice bags. I got my cooler bag at Target, It is a must, b/c I used to stop and get Little Debbie snacks in the afternoons!! Good luck!!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast (slices or chunks)
    Boiled eggs (pre shelled)
    Yogurt cups
    Carrots (any raw vegie)
    Apple (any durable fruit pre cut)
    Beef jerky
    Turkey jerky
    Almonds
    Smoothie

If push comes to shove, a protein bar or shake, just beware the after effects. If you will be leaving a cooler in the car make sure it is a hard sided one with an ice pack inside. From experience the soft side coolers just don't do well inside a car on a hot day.
  • SoUnaware
    Options
    Thank you EVERYONE. Wow this was really helpful! (I wasn't able to stick around yesterday because of work, ha.) I'm definitely going to buy a cooler first thing and start thinking about my food the day before. I definitely have trouble just wanting to say "screw it" in my ten minutes and eat a piece of left over pizza :P
  • LindsayChick
    LindsayChick Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I pack apples, bananas and baby carrots and celery sticks w/ a wedge of Laughing Cow Cheese. Have you tried that? They have all different flavors and it's only 35 calories per wedge! It's super creamy and tastes decadent and spices up any veggies. Also, the Fiber 1 bars are my absolute favorite (as someone already mentioned). Not sure if you have a cooler or ability to refrigerate snacks while at work, but Light 'n Fit yogurt (by Dannon) is delicious and only 80 calories.... is great w/ a little Fiber 1 cereal sprinkled on top for a crunch.

Good luck and I admire you for your work w/ autistic children! =)