2»

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    HanMW96 wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Now I have a Fitbit, I've set my base activity level as sedentary and will add on everything the Fitbit tracks. Does that sound right?

Yes.

You can chose ANY MFP level and, if negative adjustments are enabled, **at midnight** the final calculation (which is mis-labelled as an 'exercise adjustment') will be exactly the same.

There will be more calories added if you are set as sedentary on MFP, and fewer added (or potentially some subtracted) if you're setup as very active but prove not to be.
    Thank you all, I think I'm going to chop 500 off from my Fitbit calorie goal, cause even that is still more than I have been eating! I believe I have been undereating, but not by 800/900 cals a day like my Fitbit says!! Does this sound good?

Do you have some personal data that lead you to believe that Fitbit and your logging are not accurate for you?

I would assume that I am normal and my tools will work for me, and adjust when and if they prove not to!

Connect fitbit.com to trendweight.com and evaluate your progress based on your trending weight.

How do I enable negative adjustment? I've also set my Mfp base goal as what my Fitbit says my BMI is, or is this wrong considering I will burn cals whilst sedentary which are not in the exercise adjustment?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Scroll down and click "Enable negative calorie adjustments"

What I do is set MFP at sedentary maintenance and let Fitbit add exercise calories since most of my exercise is step based. I don't worry about weight lifting, and will sort out any impact that has on my weight once I'm done losing weight. You should manually log any exercise that is not step based on either MFP or Fitbit using start and end times.

To create a deficit for myself, I just leave calories on the table at the end of the day equal to the deficit I want to create. If you're maintaining, just eat back your Fitbit adjustment.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP what are your goals (lose weight or maintain)?
    What rate of loss did you select in MFP.
    What calorie goal did MFP provide?
    How many steps do you average/day?
    What does FitBit say your total calories burned is?

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Now I have a Fitbit, I've set my base activity level as sedentary and will add on everything the Fitbit tracks. Does that sound right?

Yes.

You can chose ANY MFP level and, if negative adjustments are enabled, **at midnight** the final calculation (which is mis-labelled as an 'exercise adjustment') will be exactly the same.

There will be more calories added if you are set as sedentary on MFP, and fewer added (or potentially some subtracted) if you're setup as very active but prove not to be.
    Thank you all, I think I'm going to chop 500 off from my Fitbit calorie goal, cause even that is still more than I have been eating! I believe I have been undereating, but not by 800/900 cals a day like my Fitbit says!! Does this sound good?

Do you have some personal data that lead you to believe that Fitbit and your logging are not accurate for you?

I would assume that I am normal and my tools will work for me, and adjust when and if they prove not to!

Connect fitbit.com to trendweight.com and evaluate your progress based on your trending weight.

How do I enable negative adjustment? I've also set my Mfp base goal as what my Fitbit says my BMI is, or is this wrong considering I will burn cals whilst sedentary which are not in the exercise adjustment?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Scroll down and click "Enable negative calorie adjustments"

What I do is set MFP at sedentary maintenance and let Fitbit add exercise calories since most of my exercise is step based. I don't worry about weight lifting, and will sort out any impact that has on my weight once I'm done losing weight. You should manually log any exercise that is not step based on either MFP or Fitbit using start and end times.

To create a deficit for myself, I just leave calories on the table at the end of the day equal to the deficit I want to create. If you're maintaining, just eat back your Fitbit adjustment.

I did exactly this except I do not have negative calories enabled. Having my setting as sedentary means my calorie target already is the minimum for the day even if I do no additional exercise so there is no need for it to go even lower. For a while I put it at lightly active and DID enable negative calories but decided that sedentary and disabled worked the best for me. I log my water aerobics and swimming separately and let my tracker take care of the rest. I eat back most of my tracker calories and about 1/2 of my logged calories earned.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

for example 10minutes of hiit equals 150-200 calories, 20 minutes of cardio equals 125-200 calories , but it depends on intensity of course

so keep sedentary level, add the rest. even walking is an exercise.

the burn from hiit/cardio is going to depends on the persons weight as well not just intensity

first of all, overweight person shouldn't do hiit, and someone overweight won't do it as intense.

so it's intensity - weight = calories burn, it evens out at the end a fat person won't run as fast as a fit one, a fit one won't burn as much as a fat person with the same intensity.

I'm sorry, but that's poop. I've seen many overweight people killing it at hiit. Heck, I did hiit when I was around 250lbs.

There's a video floating around of an overweight lady doing really tall box jumps. She's amazing.

A larger person will burn more calories simply because they're heavier.

Anyone can do the exercise they wish to.

glad others see it the same way :) you can do a lot if you put your mind to it
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, but that's poop. I've seen many overweight people killing it at hiit. Heck, I did hiit when I was around 250lbs.

Anyone can do the exercise they wish to.

Yes yes yes! Check out this whole page on the subject of HIIT a the venerable NYTimes. HIIT can be done at any weight or level of fitness. Of course, if you get in better shape, your intervals can be harder.

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/search/high+intensity+interval+training/?_r=1

I do worry about heavier people taking up running, only because it can be very hard on your joints and there are many other options, including walking. But, the best exercise is the one that inspires you to keep going.
  • HanMW96
    HanMW96 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Maintain weight, I put my BMR as calculated by Fitbit (1340) as my base on MyFitnessPal, I average anywhere between 15,000-25,000 steps a day (Fitbit says more but I think it overestimates), and today my Fitbit says I've burned 4100 calories which, although I'm very active, I know is inaccurate- I've probably burned closer to 3000
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Wether you put it on sedentary or put it on very active (if you really are) it always balances it self out. Fitbit is made not to double dip. Also have your negative adjustment enabled so in case u don't reach the activity level, Fitbit knows to subtract cals from your daily allotted food allowance
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Maintain weight, I put my BMR as calculated by Fitbit (1340) as my base on MyFitnessPal, I average anywhere between 15,000-25,000 steps a day (Fitbit says more but I think it overestimates), and today my Fitbit says I've burned 4100 calories which, although I'm very active, I know is inaccurate- I've probably burned closer to 3000

I'm not understanding why you set BMR as your base calories? That's the amount of calories your body would need if you were essentially comatose, which you clearly are not. You are averaging 15k-25k steps/day. The way you've got it set up is going to result in huge adjustments (1500 or more) and that is telling you that something is out of whack with your set up.

A more appropriate approach would be to set MFP to maintain, with either a lightly active or active activity level. The number they provide then is an estimate of your NEAT (so your BMR plus an estimate of day to day activity burn), and then when you have it synced with FitBit you would see an adjustment when your FitBit says you've burned more than that, a true up if you will between the TDEE that FitBit estimates and what MFP thinks you would burn without exercise. Enabling negative adjustments ensures that you would get a lower calorie target if you don't meet the normal activity level that MFP is suggesting.

For what it's worth, I'm also in maintenance at 5'2 and 118. I selected active for my activity level because I average 15k steps/day even though I have a desk job. MFP says my baseline cals are 1850. I have it set up to sync with FitBit which estimates that my TDEE is around 2200-2300. So my adjustments are usually 300-500 cals which I feel is more representative of my purposeful exercise.
  • HanMW96
    Options

I'm not understanding why you set BMR as your base calories? That's the amount of calories your body would need if you were essentially comatose, which you clearly are not. You are averaging 15k-25k steps/day. The way you've got it set up is going to result in huge adjustments (1500 or more) and that is telling you that something is out of whack with your set up.

A more appropriate approach would be to set MFP to maintain, with either a lightly active or active activity level. The number they provide then is an estimate of your NEAT (so your BMR plus an estimate of day to day activity burn), and then when you have it synced with FitBit you would see an adjustment when your FitBit says you've burned more than that, a true up if you will between the TDEE that FitBit estimates and what MFP thinks you would burn without exercise. Enabling negative adjustments ensures that you would get a lower calorie target if you don't meet the normal activity level that MFP is suggesting.

For what it's worth, I'm also in maintenance at 5'2 and 118. I selected active for my activity level because I average 15k steps/day even though I have a desk job. MFP says my baseline cals are 1850. I have it set up to sync with FitBit which estimates that my TDEE is around 2200-2300. So my adjustments are usually 300-500 cals which I feel is more representative of my purposeful exercise.

Thank you! I set my BMR as my base cals on here, because Fitbit adds every bit of my activity- over 1100 so far today for example- onto my base goal. If I set my base goal on here as "lightly active", it adds all my steps and gym classes onto that, even though without any of my steps or gym I'd be sedentary and therefore only needing you eat my BMR's worth right? I'm confused so I'm going to keep doing it like I am for two weeks, then I'll weigh myself and change my tact if needs be! Thank you for your help!
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Thank you! I set my BMR as my base cals on here, because Fitbit adds every bit of my activity- over 1100 so far today for example- onto my base goal. If I set my base goal on here as "lightly active", it adds all my steps and gym classes onto that, even though without any of my steps or gym I'd be sedentary and therefore only needing you eat my BMR's worth right? I'm confused so I'm going to keep doing it like I am for two weeks, then I'll weigh myself and change my tact if needs be! Thank you for your help!

No. You shouldn't be eating your BMR. BMR is the amount of cals you would need to sustain your body if you were comatose. MFP estimates your NEAT which is your BMR plus an estimate of cals burned from daily activity, excluding exercise. This is why when people use the MFP method they are supposed to log and eat back some exercise cals. Now though, many people like you and I use an activity tracker like FitBit to estimate what those burns are. If you are trying to maintain then you want to eat at or around your TDEE. FitBit calls this total calories burned and is a fairly good approximation of TDEE, in my experience.

So if you put your stats in and select lightly active, and "maintain my weight" as your goal in MFP, what does it give you for a calorie target? This is what MFP thinks your NEAT is. This is your baseline target. Then when you use the two systems together and you go above that, from more activity or exercise, you get an exercise adjustment from FitBit, a "true up" if you will of the difference between MFp's estimate and what FitBit says you actually burned.

Using BMR for your baseline is far too low and is going to result in very large exercise cal adjustments that may be difficult to work in, if you wait till the end of the day for example and have to eat an extra 1500 calories. I will try and take a screen shot of my day to show what I mean.
  • WinoGelato
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Ok. Here's mine. I'm 5'2 and 118 and in maintenance. I have my activity level set at active because I average 15k steps./day. MFP estimates my maintenance NEAT to be 1838. As of right now, because it's early in the morning and I'm just getting started, it is giving me a negative cal adjustment of -68 cals because FitBit thinks I'm not going to hit that 1838 minimum.
    2dsu1fztnzqk.png

However, as the day goes on and I get more steps or do some other exercise (as I did yesterday logging circuit training in MFP for 190 cals) then the adjustment goes positive and the cals I am credited represent the difference between what FitBit said I burned at the end of the day (yesterday that was 2386) and the 1836 estimate from MFP. So my total adjustment yesterday from FitBit was 358 cals. But the total is equal to 1838+358+190 = 2386.

e839a1codwxv.png

Make sense? I don't even know what my BMR is because it's a meaningless number for my goals. I'm not bedridden, I am active, and using a number as a baseline that isn't representative of that isn't helpful.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Using a manually imputed goal will the overall calorie adjustment potentially incorrect and too low. Assuming Fitbit is accurate and you won't know that for a few weeks.

Putting in 1100 yourself means MFP is assuming that's your NEAT, it doesn't know to add more because you are choosing to use your BMR.

As Wino says, just using the automatically generated MFP goal is what should be happening and again, assuming Fitbit is correct, or close to correct, then the adjustment will also be correct.
  • HanMW96
    Options
    Ok. Here's mine. I'm 5'2 and 118 and in maintenance. I have my activity level set at active because I average 15k steps./day. MFP estimates my maintenance NEAT to be 1838. As of right now, because it's early in the morning and I'm just getting started, it is giving me a negative cal adjustment of -68 cals because FitBit thinks I'm not going to hit that 1838 minimum.
    2dsu1fztnzqk.png

However, as the day goes on and I get more steps or do some other exercise (as I did yesterday logging circuit training in MFP for 190 cals) then the adjustment goes positive and the cals I am credited represent the difference between what FitBit said I burned at the end of the day (yesterday that was 2386) and the 1836 estimate from MFP. So my total adjustment yesterday from FitBit was 358 cals. But the total is equal to 1838+358+190 = 2386.

e839a1codwxv.png

Make sense? I don't even know what my BMR is because it's a meaningless number for my goals. I'm not bedridden, I am active, and using a number as a baseline that isn't representative of that isn't helpful.

Thank you for your help! I understand now! I'll take a screenshot of mine to check it looks right!
  • HanMW96
    Options
    2dsu1fztnzqk.png

e839a1codwxv.png

I don't know how to post the screenshot, but if I send it to you in a private message, I'd really appreciate your thoughts on whether or not you think I've done it right x