Why?

Options
I always sabotage myself when I start losing weight. I'll be on a great streak, then I cheat and just go downhill from there, gaining my weight back. Idk why I do this. It's extremely upsetting. I'm starting back on my diet tomorrow and going to refocus. I just want to know does any one else do this? Do you have any tips or encouragement? I could use some....

Replies

• MaverickMatt87
    MaverickMatt87 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What the above said.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Because being a caloric deficit sucks.

Yes.

Also, but maybe this is just me - I tend to get scared when I start to really lose. I suddenly remember how cruel competitive women constantly were to me when I was hot, right down to literally and deliberately trying to sabotage my job (happened more than once), embarrass and humiliate me and so on - and how guys either seemed to want to do me or be jerks to me as representative of all the cute girls in their lives who had turned them down (I'm married, BTW). I hate hate hate hate hate hate competition, and I find how men treat me when I look great just literally bizarre, and I just want to be comfortable and healthy and liked in a basic way and otherwise left the kittening kitten alone, but already at my current weight loss I am getting tastes of all this stuff again and I don't kittening get it...and I hate it. And I'm scared of it.

When I am neither some weird unwilling form of competition nor someone to alternately try to get back at and then hope to fuk - IOW, when I'm fat and sick - everybody is nice to me. I am not kidding. Everybody, full stop.

I feel like for a percentage of us, we self sabotage for reasons like this. Just another thing to consider.
  • PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You need to figure out how to eat to maintain weight loss for life.

This op don't be affraid of having days above maintenance, of not eating something that you crave just keep firmly in your overall deficit. Try different foods that fill you up, maybe keto, but try to find a healthy diet that you can maintain.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I don't do streaks. You can't expect to be perfect every day for a year or three... Every day is on its own. Some days I eat more. Most days I eat on a deficit. Life. We're human. Don't 'star over'. Just continue.
  • demarcan
    demarcan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i do the same thing. the one thing most of us on here have in common is we love to eat. sucks to gain the weight back but there are worse things to be addicted to :) i fell off the wagon big time the past few months (up 17 lbs) and am looking to get back on track myself. stay strong.
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Well it happens make up for it in the gym do another set of what ever u are doing run an extra mile look at the Zig Zag diet it works great for a ""Normal way we eat so if u were eating 1300 and u had a day were u ate 16 or 1800 calories then the next 2 -3bays u would eat close to 1200 check it out .
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    If you go over your calories one time, one day, don't just give up and eat everything. Log your food and eat to your goal the next day and the day after that and the day after that. One day isn't going to ruin your weight loss, giving up entirely will.

Also, if you are tempted to binge eat, think about why. Are you actually eating enough or is your weight loss goal too steep? Are you an emotional eater? If so, how can you handle the emotions with something other than food? Figuring out why you are not sticking to your goals and fixing that is the best way to keep this from happening.
  • gracerichter3213
    gracerichter3213 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all for all the advice. I currently am doing Keto. I really enjoy it, and I feel full at the end of the day...but on Keto you can't have high carb foods so sometimes I just miss bread lol but I'm getting better at controlling myself. I plan on allowing myself cheat days now too, I need them! :D
  • natthefrenchone
    natthefrenchone Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi gracerichter3213! I can very much relate to this. I also have been wondering why I am mind-blocking myself from losing the 2 lbs I need to go below 300!! I have not been 302 lbs in years. I finally made it this far and I am so close I can taste it - but then, I get huge cravings and absolutely can't resist eating 300-400 over my calories goal. I have been trying for a few weeks now lol! Well, I still gotta tell myself that the number is still lower than what it used to be (315) and that perseverance will get me there one day, slowly but surely. :):)
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thanks y'all for all the advice. I currently am doing Keto. I really enjoy it, and I feel full at the end of the day...but on Keto you can't have high carb foods so sometimes I just miss bread lol but I'm getting better at controlling myself. I plan on allowing myself cheat days now too, I need them! :D

Be careful "cheating" on Keto. I don't know enough about it (so maybe join one of the Keto groups) but my understanding is a "cheat" day when you go high carb will force you back through the whole Keto flu like symptoms.

I couldn't do Keto or low carb. I like carbs too much. I'd rather learn how to eat what I like (within reason) and know I can eat that way the rest of my life.

I second this.

Also, OP, I won't give you my specific tips or anything because I believe everyone has to find their own way and what works for them as an individual, which can vary greatly person to person. But, one thing I did find helpful was seeing a therapist. I had gained a significant amount of weight (over 100 pounds) and I always felt like something was right under the surface and holding me back. But, I could not quite unlock what was going on. Seeing a therapist helped me work through my own issues and I am beginning to learn how to love myself again. I still have a way to go, but I do feel like I can work past the self sabotage now.