Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat/Fit shows

Replies

• caribchic
    caribchic Posts: 213 Member
    I watch My 600lb life like a horror movie, me yelling at the tv "no..no don't go in there its not safe..close the damn fridge". Its inspiring, frustrating, funny, nerve wracking....good entertainment. I used to watch SS vs SS solely for the low key mukbangs.
  • okohjacinda
    okohjacinda Posts: 329 Member
    I know unless you are really sick, morbidly obese or going through a deep depression where your appetite lessens, losing 4 or more pounds a week is unrealistic and very unhealthy, but I do find the biggest loser still motivating even though I know a lot of the stuff that goes on on the show is as fictional as Buffy the vampire slayer if not more so.

600lb life is more realistic to me in their drastic weight loss because they have so much to lose and they need to actually lose between 5 to 10lbs a week in the beginning.

And extreme weight loss I think I like the most because most of the contestants are shown to be losing the weight within a year versus 4 or 5 months on biggest loser and they are home dealing with real life stuff the whole time.

But reality shows are still just that...a show so a lot of what goes on is going to be scripted and I don't expect for everything to be real. You can't go into it thinking it's reality but just fun entertaining stuff.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    My wife and I are My 600lbs Life junkies. It's like Scared Straight for us LOL. I always pull for the folks and then get pissed at them when they fudge the diet. Then I look in the mirror and say, well what about you, hmm??

Biggest Loser is one of the worse reality shows on TV IMO. It should be forced off the air. I can't believe no one has died on that show yet. I bet you many of those folks received life long injuries from their time on that fat shaming show. Its soooooo unrealistic its laughable. Teaches the total opposite of everything a person wanting to lose weight should do!
  • Sivadee00
    Sivadee00 Posts: 428 Member
    edited May 2017
    I think these weight loss shows are looking for ratings under the guise of education. Same goes for shows that film people who have hoarding disorder. The people they record are brave considering they know their private stories will be made public. Maybe it's a last resort for them, or it's free help, but I wonder how many of them are harassed by strangers or neighbors after the show is aired. I go online and see people making gross and cruel comments about people on these type of shows. Reflects how people are willing to feel superior and kick someone when they are down. It also seems like public shaming in a sense. Very sad.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Annoying, mindnumbingly stupid, and frustratingly addictive.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Here's my stock answer:

In my opinion, it's a modern-day freakshow. I don't mean that to be unkind to the people involved in it, but that's the purpose of the people who make and produce these kinds of reality TV.

In today's freakshows you're not supposed to gape like yokels at the people on exhibit. That's so early 20th century. Instead you're supposed to be moved to pity, or outrage, or whatever emotion the producers wish to foster.

In my opinion, of course.

This is how I feel about it. I don't find the shows inspiring. But everyone loves a freak show and it makes you feel like "well at least I'm not THAT bad." When I first saw my fat fabulous life I watched a bunch of them because I felt good that at least I'm not Whitney who does nothing but make excuses. Then I realized that if everything about her down to her voice annoys me I shouldn't watch the show just because it makes me feel better about myself.
    Like there was one episode where she rode like two miles on a bike and it was a huge accomplishment for her. And I thought, wow it's really not hard to ride two miles, I can ride 30 miles! But how does that help me? It leads me to believe I'm in better shape than I actually am and I'm never going to better myself if all I do is compare myself to some slob who makes excuses.
  • _emma_78
    _emma_78 Posts: 64 Member
    I LOVE watching my 600 lb life! It drives me nuts though when the people think the surgery will do everything for them and they don't have to make an effort. I wish in one episode Dr. N would have the person lose 50 lbs (like usual) for the surgery but then say another 50, and another and so on. I yell at the screen a lot when the people say "I can't lose weight" I'm like "you just lost like 50lbs!!!"
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I've never watched them. They don't interest me.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    _emma_78 wrote: »
    I LOVE watching my 600 lb life! It drives me nuts though when the people think the surgery will do everything for them and they don't have to make an effort. I wish in one episode Dr. N would have the person lose 50 lbs (like usual) for the surgery but then say another 50, and another and so on. I yell at the screen a lot when the people say "I can't lose weight" I'm like "you just lost like 50lbs!!!"

i always wonder why none of these people ever back down from the surgery after they lose those 50lbs before the surgery. Obviously they can do it, with the surgery done they will still have to follow a miserable diet for the rest of their lives,possible surgery complications, and regaining the weight is always a big possibility.So, when they see that they can lose weight if they stick with it, and they can move a bit easier,why not postpone the surgery and try on their own? Unless there are people,but they don't air the episodes.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    I looooove Supersize vs. Superskinny, because I'm like, "well I eat *kitten* but I don't eat THAT much *kitten*." ;)

Also a girl from my school (who was enormous and continues to be enormous) was on there with her mum.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Here's my stock answer:

In my opinion, it's a modern-day freakshow. I don't mean that to be unkind to the people involved in it, but that's the purpose of the people who make and produce these kinds of reality TV.

In today's freakshows you're not supposed to gape like yokels at the people on exhibit. That's so early 20th century. Instead you're supposed to be moved to pity, or outrage, or whatever emotion the producers wish to foster.

^^This^^ So much this. It takes a serious national problem and turns it into a spectacle to gawk at and shore up the esteem of viewers but assuages their conscience by saying "Look, we're helping these folks lose weight by heaping abuse on them in an unrealistic situation and system that they'll be unable to maintain once they leave us."

You can't place all the blame on the creators and producers though. Those people sign on and after how many years of the shows being on television now know what they're getting themselves into.

I thought that comment was placing most of the blame on the people watching.

Watchers motivate advertisers, who fund and energize creators and producers, which results in more of this manipulated, unrealistic, unhealthful, voyeuristically-slanted nonsense being available for viewers. Even if the participants sign on with full knowledge - people will do anything for money, judging from the scope of reality shows in general - I'm not an enthusiast.

At first, I watched 'Biggest Loser' when it was first on, until I heard how the participants were being manipulated and used, and understood what a bad example the show was for average people. We see folks posting here regularly who think they're losing weight "so slowly" at 2-3 pounds a week, and think they have to starve themselves and exercise like maniacs, or they're failures.

So wrong, in so many ways. But JMO. I'd rather spend my time on something positive or productive.

Well, in all fairness, I think this is a cultural phenomenon and many people share the credit. In order to make a reality show like those we are discussing, you need:
    - (Willing) participants
    - Producers
    - Networks
    - Viewers

If you lack any of these things, you don't have a show. I think that these contributors share culpability, but some get more of the blame than others. The stars of the show get some blame, but they may be people in dire circumstances in need of the money or the help to lose weight. The viewers also get some of the blame - if there weren't an appetite for these kinds of shows, they wouldn't get made. Personally I think that much of the blame lies with the producers and the network, though. They are the ones with the most invested in it, and they are the ones who actually do the work to make the show. They most actively chose to be involved with these kinds of shows as their career, when they could have chosen to do something else.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    I watch My 600 lb Life more as a cautionary tale. As much as I love food, and hate working out, I could absolutely see myself getting there. Watching it and seeing how difficult their lives are reminds me why I need to keep trying.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Big fan of this one: http://www.aetv.com/shows/fit-to-fat-to-fit

Trainers stuff their faces for a month so they can lose weight with their clients.

Eagerly awaiting Season 2.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member

i always wonder why none of these people ever back down from the surgery after they lose those 50lbs before the surgery. Obviously they can do it, with the surgery done they will still have to follow a miserable diet for the rest of their lives,possible surgery complications, and regaining the weight is always a big possibility.So, when they see that they can lose weight if they stick with it, and they can move a bit easier,why not postpone the surgery and try on their own? Unless there are people,but they don't air the episodes.

I'll guarantee there are some.

However, most are so focused on the goal of getting to surgery that I bet they don't even consider that they might be able to manage without. At the point they're heavy enough to be on the show they'd be pretty well conditioned (and with good reason) to think that there's no other option.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    edited May 2017
    menotyou56 wrote: »
    My wife and I are My 600lbs Life junkies. It's like Scared Straight for us LOL. I always pull for the folks and then get pissed at them when they fudge the diet. Then I look in the mirror and say, well what about you, hmm??

i could literally binge (haha) on my 600-lb. life. while i do this with all people, i like to see where people gain their weight and it's interesting to me to see those who have smaller legs but giant stomachs and vice versa. ANYWAY... also genuinely interested in their backstories and their struggles/progress throughout it all. it's maddening to see those whom are in total denial about following their diet; i get invested and really want them to succeed! ooooh then there was that crazy one with the twins!

ss vs ss is only entertaining to me when they're in the food clinic eating each other's meals and insulting each other. otherwise, feel like once you've seen one, you've seen them all. dr. christian is nice to watch, though.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Here's my stock answer:

Hear Hear!

Spot on observation. These shows are an extension of Jerry Springer - celebration of mediocrity/suffering.
  • Leenizi129
    Leenizi129 Posts: 133 Member
    My. two cents, not real world.
  • RetroPolkaDot
    RetroPolkaDot Posts: 83 Member
    I liked Supersize vs SuperSkinny when they had that food tube thing and spent more time in the clinic. it was always interesting to see each participant deal with the portions. Secret Eaters was fascinating as well.

I liked Fit to Fat to Fit.

I watched BL the first season but didn't watch after that. I did watch a couple seasons of Extreme Weightloss. I've seen some episodes of Heavy and 600 Pound Life. I don't like that show with Whitney because I find her to be annoying.
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    I really like the extreme makeover with the trainer Chris Powell. He seems so genuine and shows that through hard work it is possible. He doesn't just focus on the weight loss side, but also looks at their emotional needs too and helps his clients heal at the same time.

I've watched a lot my 600 pound life-. I don't think it really pushes me to work out, but it's nice to watch it give more freedom to those who continue to lose weight. But it does bug me when the individual complains that they're not losing any weight, yet they haven't changed their old life style at all.