Bruising after workouts

Options
NerdyWord33
NerdyWord33 Posts: 52 Member
edited May 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
*posted this,but can't find it*

I keep finding numerous bruises on my legs and backs of my arms the day after my workout.
I've read that lifting a significant amount of weight can cause this,but I'm not to the point of heavy lifting. My numbers are still fairly light. (Typically something like 60lb squat, 160 on leg press...and I weigh 200)
Without moving from the position I am sitting in, I can count 30 bruises on my legs.
Does that seem normal?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Not if you don't remember doing anything to cause them (other than working out)
  • NerdyWord33
    Options
    Not if you don't remember doing anything to cause them (other than working out)

They seem fairly spontaneous. Most of them are dime sized, but some of them are more the size of half dollars.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    See your doctor. Spontaneous bruising is often a sign of something serious.
  • megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I've found the same since I started lifting weights! Honestly I think I'm just much more careless than I realise, which isn't great when moving heavy things haha
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    are you taking a lot of aspirin, or blood thinners?
  • rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I would see your doctor to rule out anything serious, just to be on the safe side.
  • NerdyWord33
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    are you taking a lot of aspirin, or blood thinners?

No. I mean, I occasionally take an Excedrin,but I can count on one hand how many I have taken in the last 3-4 months.
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend getting some blood work done and speaking to a physician, bruising can be caused by lifting weights and women are more prone to this.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. bruises showing up without an associated injury can be a sign of entirely too many things. None of them good.

The sooner you get ahead of this, the sooner you can get it under control.
  • NerdyWord33
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for your feedback on this issue.
    I will get it checked.
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    I get bruises from bumping equipment in the gym trying to rush from one machine to another.
  • Hallie82
    Hallie82 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as PP I'm only just aware of how often I run into the gym equipment. However I got blood work done in January and thankfully everything came back normal... but for some reason just getting a physical and checked out made me extra motivated and energized. It's like I didn't have It in the back of my mind that I was over weight because something was actually wrong with me. I suggest a physical check up with a Dr. To anyone that hasn't had one in a long time.
  • dmarsh1018
    dmarsh1018 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I would get bruises on my legs from resting the dumbbells on my thighs before laying back to do presses...definitely not 30 at a time though!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

Aren't bruises caused by broken blood vessels? Aren't broken blood vessels a bad, or at the very least, not a good, thing? Glad to hear that you will be getting yourself checked on this.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I bruise extremely easily, but have hypermobility type EDS. Perhaps you have something similar. Either way it's a good idea to get the bruising checked out
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Aren't bruises caused by broken blood vessels? Aren't broken blood vessels a bad, or at the very least, not a good, thing? Glad to hear that you will be getting yourself checked on this.

Without pictures its hard to know if its "regular bruising" or petechial bruising.

They're differently bad...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't think that's normal. The only time I get bruises is when I'm doing cleans and I sometimes get them on my shoulders when I rack...