Cravings

Options
How can someone "get rid" of craving?
In search of ideas to help manage them, and hopefully "get rid" of them

Replies

• JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    For me, anytime I am cravings something I have some go to macro friendly snacks that I will eat instead. Typically after I eat it, the cravings will go away. For instance, if i am craving something sweet, I will make a protein brownie and for 120 or so calories and 25P, 2C and 1.5F I have a very sweet chocolate treat. Depending on how my macros are shaping up that day I will add some chocolate or peanut butter chips in it and fat free whipped cream.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Eat small meals more times a day. I eat 4-5 small meals a day which keeps me from never getting too hungry. The hunger is what causes 'cravings'. You need to keep one step ahead of the hunger, and eat filling, fibrous and protein-rich foods.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I allow chocolate, or ice cream, or candy every night, about 200 calories worth. So I rarely crave those things. I do crave a good cheeseburger about once a month or so, so I bank calories for awhile and go for it!
  • ninjamere1
    ninjamere1 Posts: 40 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I tend to crave flavor profiles more than specific foods after doing this for awhile. Drive past burger place and start thinking yum so I found ways to make at home and control calories and portion size and same with Mexican food, Greek, Chinese etc.

If it's sweets then I look for a lower cal option with similar flavor and only buy one serving and wait until later to eat it - then I'm less tempted to have more. Small bites and savor each if only the original higher calories option will do. Biggest thing though is buy 1 serving so I can't say oh just a little more. Or if not available single serving take 1 portion then give the rest to others
  • alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    combine your cravings with healthier foods. i'm addicted to peanut butter, so i eat it with sweet potatoes or apples to keep me full quick. don't be too strict and eliminate all the cravings, its a natural thing. some days you crave something, allow yourself, but be aware to feed your body with the right food most of the time. :smile:
  • julesEMS2016
    julesEMS2016 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered Labrada's cookie dough protein bars. They are great for when I'm craving chocolate and much better than me wolfing down a candy bar. Since I've started substituting those (and trail mix) I've found that I don't crave really sweet food like I used to.
  • jilleebee77
    jilleebee77 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    They have Halo Top ice creams now, whole pint can be anywhere from 260-360 cal. and are high in protein. Texture is a little off at first but def something to help ease that sweet tooth. And you don't HAVE to eat the WHOLE thing. :)
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Eliminating foods you enjoy is setting yourself up for failure. Enjoy them, but in moderation and EARN them.
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    When i crave something, i eat it but make sure i have calories enough to fit the item into my daily allotment.
  • hpacaro
    hpacaro Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    What are you craving and do you know why? To get rid of them or even just reduce them, you'd have to solve the root cause of your cravings. Examples of sources might include: Emotional eating as a result of a lack or excess in other parts of your life (relationship, career, exercise, etc.), dehydration, imbalance of expansive/contractive foods, foods we ate in childhood, seasonal foods, lack of adequate nutrients, and low blood sugar.