What's the best US store bought protein powder?

Options
I'm looking to starting using protein shakes before or after workouts since I've been working out 6 days/wk with Turbo Fire and feeling the loss of energy.

Who can recommend something I can get while out getting groceries easily that isn't made of crap? I usually shop at Jewel/Dominics. If there's something significantly better I can stop by Whole Foods.

Replies

• mohawk1971
    mohawk1971 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I just bought some from Sams Club, Pure Protein Plus, it is low carb, high fiber and has omega-3. It is only sold at Sams according to the website. It was pretty cheap and I like it so far. The ingrident list is decently short compared to others I have seen,
  • beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    i like Designer Whey.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Aria Vanilla Soy Protein from Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. :heart:
  • Lazyboy09
    Lazyboy09 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey
  • Kat0310
    Kat0310 Posts: 341
    Options
    I don't know those stores but you can pick up BodyFortress whey protein powder at Walmart for around $15 (I use the chocolate and mix it with Silk light vanilla soy milk), it is very tasty like chocolate milk.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels' Whey Protein. Can get it pretty much anywhere. 3 net carbs, 3g of fiber, 100 calories per scoop, and it's pretty tasty :)
  • Iam918
    Iam918 Posts: 118 Member
    Options

^^ This!
  • sambustem
    sambustem Posts: 83
    Options
    Health food / vitamin stores carry "Dessert Protein" by BSN and it is REALLY good! A little pricey, but well worth it! I have a VERY hard time choking down protein powder (well, if in a shake, its easy - mixed with just water or milk, not so easy!) and this one doesn't bother me nearly as much.
  • Yayi724
    Yayi724 Posts: 13
    Options
    Body Fortress Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I use VEGA (vanilla chai flavor). Read the labels and do your research - This is the best quality one that I have found that is plant-based and tastes great. I buy it at Whole Foods - not sure where else it is carried.

You want to consume protein after exercise, not right before. Simply carbs beforehand (e.g., fruit).
  • Chel702
    Chel702 Posts: 23
    Options
    I love the Premier Protein Shakes you can purchase them at Costco or Sam's Club. I have only tried the Chocolate one...they taste delicious...they also have Vanilla & Strawberry. They come in either a 12pk or 18pk and I believe the 12 pk is only like $15. They give you 30g of protein, 160 calories, 1g of sugar, Low Fat, 8 essential amino acids, and 24 vitamins & minerals. Here is the website if you have any other questions: http://www.premiernutrition.com/ ... Hope that helps :smile:
  • BigRedgw2010
    BigRedgw2010 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have taken a lot of different whey protein over the years, but the best protein are your whole protein, fish, chicken, turkey and tuna. Try to get most of your protein from them instead of the whey protein. If you have to do whey, go with taste and cost. Right now I'm using the Pure Protein bars and whey protein. They taste great and the cost is about $1.25 per serving which is good when you're trying to get the right amount protein each day.
  • mislove68
    mislove68 Posts: 240
    Options
    I buy EAS whey protein at Target. comes in 2lbs for $20 I think might be less I go threw 1 every other month or so. I read that make sure you are getting more protein per gram of scoop. The EAS is 30g per scoop and 23g of protein. Some are like 50g per scoop and 20g of protein. Jillian michaels I wanted to try but heard it tasted bad and it didnt have as much protein (27g scoop &15g protein)
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Does it have to be "store bought".. That's more expensive than ordering online.

GNC is expensive, even with their "membership" prices.

Dymatize Elite
    5LB tub for approx $50.00 so works out to $10.00 per LB - Contains 0gms sugar/carb per scoop.
    GNC Sells this for $54.99 on sale now.
    Body Fortress Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
    Walmart sells this. Looks like $26 for a 2LB tub = $13/LB and contains 1gm of sugar per scoop
  • Emimcc08
    Emimcc08 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I really like Myofusion chocolate, vanilla, and chocolate peanut butter! I've been using it for quite some time now after body builder introduced it to me. I would recommend it to anyone and the taste is awesome! I know you can get it at any GNC, some gyms carry it, and online as well!
  • kristyklein8
    Options

I agree! I use the Double Chocolate.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options

I agree! I use the Double Chocolate.

This. I get the Platinum in Turbo Chocolate. You can get it at Vitamin Shoppe or GNC (blegh), or online.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options

This is what I get. I have the luxury of being right by the Bodybuilding.com store but it's very affordable, tasty, and lasts long! :)
  • chelios7
    chelios7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Vanilla Ice Cream, mixes well with anything.