Have almost 100 lbs to lose and no support at all

Options
I'm no spring chicken so losing weight isn't easy. It might be a little easier if i had some support and others didn't bring junk food into the house. My husband is a diabetic. He doesn't watch his diet he eats whatever he wants. Which makes the temptation level in my house hard to handle. I am trying low carb dieting. I know i didn't put the weight on overnite so it wont come off overnite. But a little support sure would help. Sorry to sound so negative, but i think i needed to get that out of me!! Now on to bigger and better days!!

Replies

• PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Some people do great on low carb. I can't. All you really need to do is take in less calories than you're burning. Doesn't really matter what you're eating unless you have a medical reason to restrict certain things. We're all pretty supportive here. Welcome!
  • tap_0072
    tap_0072 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you need some extra support, feel free to add me as a friend!
  • GailLee4
    GailLee4 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    As with tap_0072, I'll be happy to support you. I'm 59 and have lost 63 pounds (again), so I understand the difficulties of losing weight when one is a summer or fall chicken. There are lots of yummy things in my house that I don't touch even though I'm the baker. Fear is my motivator. I'm afraid of poor health as I get older; it keeps me on track.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I'm in a very similar situation.
    Just turned 51 in March; so no spring chicken either. My wife weighs a hair more than I did when I started and has little interest in changing, though thankfully not diabetic.
    In a bit over a year, I'm down 50 lbs.
    Take it one meal at a time and you'll do fine.
  • Disconapper
    Disconapper Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me for support. It is tough to get started, by yourself especially.
  • weightloss_acc
    weightloss_acc Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is diabetic he doesnt eat healthy. But i make my own meals. He complains about it but he eats it
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me I am more than happy to be a supportive friend. I live alone so only person I have to stop from buying stuff is me. But we all have our own trigger food, I can leave a bag of York peppermint patties in my freezer and only touch them once a month when its TOM. My mother, would have the whole bag emptied by the 2nd night. However, bring twizzlers, nerds, gummy bears anywhere near me and you might get jumped to get to them. Its too bad your husband eats whatever he wants, its probably even more detrimental to him being diabetic. I would just pretend like that food is a roommates that you aren't allowed to eat, and do your own food. I do low carb because I am PCOS and staying away from them helps me and my symptoms.
  • gcibsthom
    gcibsthom Posts: 30,138 Member
    Options
    paulalb60 wrote: »
    I'm no spring chicken so losing weight isn't easy. It might be a little easier if i had some support and others didn't bring junk food into the house. My husband is a diabetic. He doesn't watch his diet he eats whatever he wants. Which makes the temptation level in my house hard to handle. I am trying low carb dieting. I know i didn't put the weight on overnite so it wont come off overnite. But a little support sure would help. Sorry to sound so negative, but i think i needed to get that out of me!! Now on to bigger and better days!!

I sympathize...I am...well, more experienced age wise, and my wife brings home donuts, cookies, cakes, if it will put on pounds, she will find a way to bring it home because...well, it was on sale...We constantly fight about this and other things....Through it all I have managed to lose 80 lbs while here on mfp and 10lb before coming on board. You can do it... but like most things it takes hard work and readjustments...find ways around the non-support. Like I tell my wife, if I can't get it from you, I will look elsewhere...(and I say that about support, too...lol). You will find moral support galore here...that is the only thing that has kept me afloat....
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian, so low-carb isn't really in the cards for me. (My main protein sources are beans, lentils, and soy, with some eggs and dairy.)

But I had 124 lbs to lose when I started, so I can relate on that score.

You can do this. Question: Are there any indulgences that your husband likes but you either don't or have an easier time moderating? Maybe you could ask him if he could refrain from buying your 'trigger' foods for a little while. Or, if they're non-perishable, keep them somewhere that you don't have to see them.

I typically have company for lunch every week. I make one low-calorie dessert that fits my plan. And because I don't want to fall into the sitcom cliche of "I am watching what I eat, therefore everyone around me gets rabbit food and sugar-free, fat-free, taste-free cardboard cookies", I buy something from the bakery that I can handle and let them choose. (I loathe any sort of coffee flavoring including mocha and cappucchino. And my bakery makes these loaf pan cakes that are 'okay', but don't tempt me. I buy those and everyone's happy.)

Feel free to add me if you like. My diary is open.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    paulalb60 wrote: »

Welcome! There is lots of support available here. There's also a low carb group that has lots of information and a daily check-in (http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group).

I lost about 95 lb in 2014 doing moderate to low carb -- focusing mostly on eating healthfully and calories, but I naturally seem to be more satiated on somewhat lower carb. I've had about 5-10 lbs left to go and no interest in getting back to losing since then, so recently decided to try lowering carbs more, and am having fun with it. It seems like some like it, some don't. If you like it, it's probably an easy approach (if you aren't too tempted) with someone who isn't interested in joining in, since you can eat protein and veg and leave the starchy carbs but still basically share the same meals much of the time.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend for support. :) I don't really have it elsewhere either. It makes it harder sometimes to stay on track without support in your own home but you can do it!!!
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I'm 69 and no it's not easy but you can do this, really you can. If you want mutual support feel free to add me. Good luck
  • cpchampion
    cpchampion Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new on here and have been trying to make positive changes to. One thing I've learned recently is that adding short walks each day can really help even if just for a few minutes - within a couple of weeks it might be two short walks a day - it all helps and I am already feeling better. You can do this by making small changes one at a time. Try also to increase your vegetable in take. Best Wishes.
  • dre_710
    dre_710 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend can eat and not gain an ounce. I hate him! He eats junkfood and sweets and I love sweets! at first it was hard to look the other way, but once I got the hang of things I try to stay focused; to even get a bite of chocolate will leave me feeling guilty! I try to get creative with my veggies and fruits, since I love sweets I will have a banana with peanut butter instead of those lovely chocolate chip cookies. Learn to look away and when you want to give up remember why you started in the first place. Good luck on your life changing journey!
  • rayne78
    rayne78 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've lost 117 lbs over the past 20 months. I went 18 months on moderately reduced carbs, and have reduced them even further over the last 2 months to break through a bit of a plateau I was on. I still have 20 lbs to go to goal before reevaluating. I log every day, so feel free to add me as a friend if you like.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I've lost 90lbs. I've had no support, everyone around me keeps doing their thing regardless of my desire to lose weight (as well they should). My fiancé is a big snacker and eats whatever he wants. My philosophy is "you do you" as in it's none of my business what he sticks in his mouth, and it's none of his business what I stick in mine. I'm low carb also, and we generally have the same meal for dinner, sometimes he'll get fries or rice or pasta or whatever, I just eat the same without the side. Breakfast and lunch we do our own thing (we both work). I'm also in an office where it's always someone's birthday and there's always garbage in the kitchen to eat. I ignore it, eat what I planned to eat. You need to get to a place where you don't worry about what everyone else is eating and you don't feel like you need to have it because it's there.
  • akelly3391
    akelly3391 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was struggling initially because my boyfriend and I are bad at enabling each other. Then I made the decision to not rely on him to be the one to motivate me. I started working out in the morning after he left for work and bringing my gym clothes to work with me if I needed to workout after and giving him the option to join if he wanted to. Same thing with food, I have been packing my food during the day and choosing healthier options that fit into my cals or no food at all (eat before or after) when we go out somewhere. It can definitely be hard when there's temptation around but I just remind myself that I've been working hard to make this a change, and every once in a while make something "bad" fit into my allotted calories.

As for the support, I have been using Tone It Up and started posting daily on instagram. It's awesome to get that positive feedback from friends and strangers as well as keeping me accountable when I don't feel like I have someone around who wants to hear my daily updates lol
  • Cathietc
    Cathietc Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are going through. My husband is somewhat the same (he isn't diabetic). I wouldn't say he is not supportive but he isn't supportive either. He eats what he wants and is a definite snacker and a dessert eater.

I have been following a low carb (Keto) way of eating for the last 2 months. It hasn't always been easy (especially since I live in a semi remote northern community and want to loose over 120 pounds total) but the results have been worth it. I have lost 44 pounds in the last 70 days.

Please add me for a friend and together we can do this.