Why is this so hard?!?!?!?

Options
Hi all,

I decided to give calorie counting another try. I have been reading so many books about how counting calories is bad and leads to disordered eating. I have tried and tried intuitive/mindful eating, but the binge cravings always win in the end. If there are any binge eaters out there and you've overcome binge eating, please share how you were able to do it. Also, has calorie counting led any of you to disordered eating? Friends would be great also, so please feel free to add.

Thanks!

Replies

• PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I can't speak about the binge eating, because thankfully I've never had to deal with that (sorry that you do). Calorie counting has not led to any type of eating disorder for me. It keeps me on track to lose weight and make permanent lifestyle changes to prevent weight gain in the future. It also encourages me to be more active on a daily basis. It's done nothing but great things for me. I hope you find the same result!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Years of mental health therapy. My binge eating was rooted in mental health issues. Calorie counting helps me ensure that I'm eating enough food to avoid the binge-restrict cycle that was basically killing me (during the worst times my heart would race for no reason at all, likely due to high-salt intake with little water). I balance the calorie-counting by only having one "meal" in my diary and putting all my foods there, thus not restricting my eating to certain times. I can eat when I want during the day, when I feel hungry.

There are tons of things that can trigger eating disorders in people who have a predisposition to them. Many people with eating disorders are vegans. This doesn't mean that veganism is bad, but people who struggle with eating disorders see veganism as a means of control. Calorie counting can be thought of in a similar way. They are triggers or symptoms, but they are not causes.
  • jbeth30
    jbeth30 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think it's different with each person as to the reasoning for binge eating. For me the act of calorie counting keeps me in check and doesn't create binging. I eat at a loss of 1 pound a week because big deficits cause me to binge more. Stress causes me to binge as well and I might have an undiagnosed mild anxiety disorder as well. Although I still binge it's not as bad as it was because of the calorie counting. It is hard! However don't quit. I have come close to quitting a million times ...and even though I have only lost about 15 pounds since last Thanksgiving because of my binging urges...it's still better than where I was!
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Shear will power. Serious....
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I still have a hard time with bingeing. Calorie counting helps, it doesn't make it worse (for me).
  • jenniferemaples
    jenniferemaples Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It is helping me I always feel like I eat to much writing it down helps me not stress about it
  • shoofly435
    shoofly435 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Friend me if you like. Sometimes I go a little overboard with logging, but then I take a break and it works out. I have certain foods that I binge on and I just don't keep them around ever. It's the only thing that works for me. I won't make a special trip to go get ice cream for example, but if it's in the house I'll eat all of it.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Counting calories has given me tremendous freedom. I know exactly what I can fit in my day. I don't freak out if --- well,when--- I go over. I just look at my weekly average and I'm always in goal range.
  • Leenizi129
    Leenizi129 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Allow 6 days of eating healthy and one free day, but don't go overboard. This way you don't feel so controlled.
  • Miss_Unperfect
    Miss_Unperfect Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great advice!
  • FinishWhatUStart
    FinishWhatUStart Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just a few ideas that might help. I struggle with binge eating every day, almost always in the mid to late afternoon. Mostly because I'm feeling sluggish and I fuel my body with anything I can get my hands on just to keep me going. It never works. If anything, I'm more exhausted after eating everything in sight than I was before I got to that point.
    Try getting more sleep, drinking more water and if you have to, allow yourself a 'go to' food that will satisfy the urge to consume something (e.g. Cheerios, dry, with a glass of water, carrots/celery/cucumber or other vegetable with water, etc.).
    Every meal is a chance to start over. Don't give up!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,942 Member
    Options
    I don't binge ... never have.

But I do count calories and have done on and off as needed for 30+ years.

Has it lead to disordered eating? No, absolutely not.

In fact, counting calories is freeing! I can eat whatever I want and only the foods I like ... as long as they fit within my calorie limit. How exciting is that! :):):)