How do I reduce my Body Fat %?

Options
heididw
heididw Posts: 16 Member
With a BMI of 25.5, I am now wanting to reduce my Body Fat %. My exercise consists of Zumba, walking, Pilates and have started running. Should I introduce other activities to reduce my Body Fat%? I'd welcome some advise.

Heidi, Lincoln, UK

Replies

• SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    At 25.5 I think you need to stick at it and the BF reduction will come in time. Is it muscle definition youre looking for?
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Do more strength training. Building muscle will allow you to burn more fat at rest and will also allow you to weigh the same amount (ie have the same BMI) while still reducing your BF%. You, essentially, want to exchange the fat for muscle. Lift weights =)
  • tscblue
    tscblue Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    when you find out please let me know I have been on this program since April and lost 27 lbs and 10 inches but my thighs and arms are still big, belly is going down but nothing else is and not sure y. I exercise 5 days a week and i eat healthy and I also dont drink pop:smile:
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing, and I would also start a strength training routine 3x a week to build some lean mass. This will increase your metabolism to help burn more fat and add some definition as the fat keeps melting.

Don't worry, you won't bulk up like a bodybuilder.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Have you actually had your body fat % measured? The BMI is crap for measuring body fat. Keep in mind, too, that women's ideal body fat % is higher than that of men's.

That said, assuming you have, it's probably a good idea to actually swap out some of your activities for strength training. As it is, you're seriously cardio-heavy. By adding in strength training, you'll gain muscle, which will help burn calories (and assuming good caloric deficit, fat).
  • heididw
    heididw Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi Sarah,

Some muscle definition would be nice, but not the main objective ...

Heidi
  • ClareB1974
    ClareB1974 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hi neighbour! (i'm in Lincs too, but a bit further south!).

I'd add some strength training in a couple of times a week if you can. I'm not even close to my goal yet, but I'm doing walking, 30DS and I'm starting pilates and C25K soon. My walking is my lbs dropping exercise, if I don't walk 60 mins + a day I seem to stop losing weight, and the 30DS is great for strength and toning/definition. I'm looking to include some heavier weight training when I've finished this 30DS rotation and swapping the dvd for turbo jam as a stepping stone to either Turbo Fire or ChaLean Extreme.

I quite fancy Zumba, but I have zero co-ordination so I'm not sure I could do it in a room full of other actual real people!!
  • Cebrinaj
    Cebrinaj Posts: 16
    Options
    hey i am about 5'3 with a medium size body frame.... i am trying to lose weight but i am not seeing any progress.... i walk at least two miles a day and i am on a 1200 calorie diet... what is going on... whats the best way for me to tone up and lose fat!!!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    As one poster said, building muscle to replace the fat will cause you to lose inches, be smaller and firmer and burn more calories! Walking and running is fine for your cardiovascular system, but building muscle is what actually makes your body looked "toned".

Case in point, I was 102 pounds and 23% body fat. I am now 110 pounds and 17% body fat. Same size clothes.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Very nice diamond!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    It's pretty simple:

1. Calorie deficit (suitable for your current body composition)
    2. The majority of those calories should come from fresh, whole foods, the less processing the better. Some junk is fine.
    3. Weight / resistance training using appropriate intensity and progressive tension overload
    4. Plenty of rest, sleep and recovery time.
    5. Keep well hydrated (though you don't have to go nuts here)
    6. Moderate amounts of cardio (if you like it and to maintain a negative calorie deficit. It's however not strictly necessary but is advisable.)

The above is listed in order of importance.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    It's pretty simple:

1. Calorie deficit (suitable for your current body composition)
    2. The majority of those calories should come from fresh, whole foods, the less processing the better. Some junk is fine.
    3. Weight / resistance training using appropriate intensity and progressive tension overload
    4. Plenty of rest, sleep and recovery time.
    5. Keep well hydrated (though you don't have to go nuts here)
    6. Moderate amounts of cardio (if you like it and to maintain a negative calorie deficit. It's however not strictly necessary but is advisable.)

The above is listed in order of importance.

This is great advice! Sums it up neatly.