Vegetarian or not?

Options
I recently stumbled upon the book "How Not To Die" written by Michael Gregor and it provided a whole new viewpoint on food for me. Even before I started reading, I was considering eating less meat and maybe going vegetarian. However, I was talking to my mom about it the other day and she is completely against it. She believes that it is not a meal without meat. What do you guys think? Is meat all that bad? Right now I eat about 6-8 ounces a day to get my protein ( 2 eggs in the morning, 3 oz. chicken for lunch, and 3oz. beef/chicken for dinner).

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    "Is meat all that bad?"

No, meat is nutritious and healthful. Eat your meat.
  • MadInGlasvegas
    MadInGlasvegas Posts: 5 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I m not sure which country you live in but most have national health organisations advising on healthy diets. Direct your mum there to get facts right. Me and my non vegan partner manage to cook for two or four (if kids are around tgat is who are also not vegan but sadly coeliac) and eat together the same meal.
  • pandainatrashbag
    pandainatrashbag Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try it out. There are a lot of factors that go into why people go vegetarian. People argue against it saying 'well, meat is healthy too and both meat and veggies have pesticides so there's no difference a steak and a piece of broccoli!' For the sake of not starting a heated debate, I'm not gonna argue with that. But even if people just had one day a week like "meatless mondays", health debate aside, that can make an impact on the lives of animals, the state of the environment and redirecting grain from feeding livestock to feeding humans. I think the numbers were something like reducing meat consumption by 10% would free up enough produce to feed 60 million more people each year, which is about how many people die of starvation per year.

Don't listen to the people who are super passionate about "protien protein protein, only animal protein is valid protein" but also don't listen to crazy vegans who try to force you into vegetarianism. Thousands upon thousands of people live without eating meat so it is at least equally as viable a lifestyle as being an omnivore. I recommend watching the "glass walls" video with Paul Mccartney or a documentary about the meat industry, then either stick with it because you've found your own personal reason to do so, or go back to your regular diet if it's not for you.

• jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    You've been thinking about going vegetarian. Try it, and see what you think. Your opinion will be a lot more useful to you than mine.

I've posted this before and I'm sure I'll post it again.

beyond-meat.jpg

This stuff ^ makes the yummiest tacos around.

I tried to use this stuff for sloppy joes and I hated it. I normally use the Boca or Gardein crumbles, which I like a lot better for that particular application.

Tacos though? I may have to try it that way before I give up on it.
  • canadian_vegan
    canadian_vegan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    been vegan 2.5 years and no issues here. I even have muscles ;) To each their own imho, but it's def not necessary,
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I started out as a vegetarian from 2007-2010, and turned vegan from 2011onward. There are many forums that debate furiously about meat eaters versus veganism/vegetarianism. Educate yourself and if it is a viable option meet with a nutritionist who specializes in plant based eating. I actually go to a nutritionist who is a practicing vegan and it has made my journey even better. I read Dr. McGregor's book and it was informative. Keep an open mind and I wish you much success on your journey whichever one you select.
  • nrb09c
    nrb09c Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I went through a bit of the same dilemma about a year ago or so. I ate meat for every meal except for breakfast. I wanted to become a vegetarian and many people in my life advised me that it wasn't normal in one way or another (even though the men in my family have history of heart disease and have had major heart attacks in their 50's). Basically, if you do your research you can get all the protein you need from other sources: nuts, beans, dairy, protein supplements, etc.

If you want to become a vegetarian, give it a go for a day, week, month or whatever. You can always switch back if you don't like it. I love Beyond Beef and Gardein if you want meet substitutes. There is a spicy version of those Beyond Beef crumbles which I like even more for tacos. Also, Morningstar makes great fake spicy sausage patties that a great for sausage, egg and cheese biscuits. The only thing I actually miss is really good BBQ and chicken wings, but it kind of grosses me out to think about how much meat I used to eat honestly.

Let us know how it goes if you switch up your diet :smile:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian but eat meatless meals often. I like eating meat but I don't have to eat it at every meal.

A vegetarian diet can be healthy or unhealthy depending on if you are meeting your nutritional needs. You should make sure you get enough protein and fats from non-meat sources. I wouldn't try to do a low carb vegetarian diet.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian because I simply don't like meat. I think your mother has the right idea that protein is important, but that protein doesn't have to come from meat.

I'm very particular about hitting my protein goals, and like other posters mentioned above, I also use Beyond Meat products. Even my meat eating husband and son like them. But most of my protein comes from beans and grains, cottage cheese, and Greek yogurt.

• Sivadee00
    Sivadee00 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I always try to go vegan when possible. I do eat meat, but I recognize how important it is for our environment to eat veggies! A palm sized portion of meat is all I need once in a while and certainly not daily. I can get protein and fats from certain veggies. Peanut butter alone is high in protein, avocado for fats, and sprouted bread for fiber. Good stuff!
  • helenrenee007
    helenrenee007 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have done a ton of research on this subject for my book. Eggs and fish do not have the same harmful effects as meat and dairy. I am a sort of Ovo-Pescatarian but without dairy. I started out giving up one meat per month, pork, then beef, then chicken over a 6 month period. I thought it would be really hard to give up but it really wasn't that bad.