Personal Trainer Pricing???

Options
I'm going off to college-Iowa State University :smile: -in a few weeks (I move in on August 18th). I'm in the process of trying to lose weight so obviously I don't want to get into college and gain the "freshman 15". SO, I went searching on the ISU website for fitness and exercise help. I've been interested in having a personal trainer for a while now, and as it turns out, ISU has personal trainers for students and teachers! What I need to know is if the pricing for their personal training is high/low. I have no idea what "normal" P.T. pricing is. And maybe there isn't a "normal" range...I'm sure it varies. But I thought i would just ask.
I would do the first 3 things, and then the 6 sessions (then go with my work outs w/out the P.T.).
Fitness Assessment: $15.00
Weight Room Orientation: $30.00
Jump Start: $45.00
6 Sessions: $90.00 ($15/session)
12 Sessions: $168.00 ($14/session)
18 Sessions: $234.00 ($13/session)

Thanks for any help!!

Replies

• lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer charges the following:

First session - assessment - Free
    After first session then it is $35 per session. If you pay for 2 in a week, you get a third one free (within the same week).

So it is $0 assessement, no orientation fee or start up fee and then $70 for 3 times per week.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    that's relatively inexpensive Eq.

trainers can go from anywhere from 25 per hour to 125 per hour depending on the trainer and type of training. So to get them for 15 dollars an hour is pretty good. Packages are always cheaper, I've seen them as low as $100 for 5 sessions before, but most are between $100/4 to $150/4 or something like that. It also depends on the area of the country. In some area's they are in higher demand so the cost goes up.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    At my gym the fitness assessment and orientation fees are included in the membership fee when you first sign up. Members are also eligible for a free fitness assessment every year. Personal trainers are $70 per session (1 hour), which I think is rather steep.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    That is very reasonable. I think the average/normal price for a trainer is around $75 an hour.
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    Being a trainer, it all depends on your area and what certifications they have. For example, I live in a relatively poor area and will end up having certifications from ISSA, ACE, and AFAA when I'm done, including Nutrition, Group, and Therapy. I'll be lucky to get $50/hr for home training. However, if I lived in a larger area/city I could probably get $75 to $90.
  • LindseyDD
    LindseyDD Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The trainer I had about 10 years ago (when I went through this the first time) my parents paid $500 a month, and we worked out 5-6 days a week for 30-45 minutes. I am now working with the same guy but he is no longer a trainer (he has moved on sales) but we are still friends and we work out together 3 days a week and my parents pay $150 a month. I am not sure if that helps, but I know my parents used to pay A LOT!! So the prices you listed doesn't sound too bad!
  • EmelyJ
    EmelyJ Posts: 208
    Options
    $15 IS VERY CHEAP!!! I pay $75 for my PT. That only includes 1hour a day. Really my PT charges $100 but because I purchased alot of session he brought it down to $75 which is still very high.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I think those prices are great!

I pay $50 per session if I buy 10 at once. Otherwise is $55 per session. I also do small group training and that is $15 per session but I am working out with anywhere from 3 to 8 people and one trainer.
  • EquestrianLark135
    EquestrianLark135 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Good to know! Thanks guys!!!

This is what their services offer... I'm a little nervous about the assessment. lol. That will be embarrassing...:embarassed:

Personal Training Services

Fitness Assessment: Testing of the 5 components of physical fitness: body composition, cardiovascular fitness, muscular strength and endurance, and joint flexibility.

Weight Room Orientation: Fitness Assessment + 1 session. This service is an orientation to the cardiovascular machines and Cybex/Strive strength training equipment.

Jump Start: Fitness Assessment + 2 sessions. Great for those who need help getting started, who have reached a plateau and are in need of new ideas.

Packages: 6, 12, or 18 sessions are available for clients looking for more of a long-term commitment. All packages begin with a Fitness Assessment.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I would love to have paid only that much when I needed a CPT a few years back. I was charged around $100 for each session (except the first one which was only a meager 30 minutes and we only had enough time for her to tell me my body fat % and then do like 3 bi/tri exercises).

Around where I live, you will certainly pay for a trainer...
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    That is really reasonable!

When I signed up for mine I got:
    My first session for free just for signing up for the gym
    2 more sessions for 99 dollars(just to make sure I liked my trainer before signing on totally)
    18 sessions(I see my trainer twice a month) I had to put like 236 down and then I pay 88 a month.. So I want to say roughly around 52 dollars a session.
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Good to know! Thanks guys!!!

This is what their services offer... I'm a little nervous about the assessment. lol. That will be embarrassing...:embarassed:

Personal Training Services

Fitness Assessment: Testing of the 5 components of physical fitness: body composition, cardiovascular fitness, muscular strength and endurance, and joint flexibility.

Weight Room Orientation: Fitness Assessment + 1 session. This service is an orientation to the cardiovascular machines and Cybex/Strive strength training equipment.

Jump Start: Fitness Assessment + 2 sessions. Great for those who need help getting started, who have reached a plateau and are in need of new ideas.

Packages: 6, 12, or 18 sessions are available for clients looking for more of a long-term commitment. All packages begin with a Fitness Assessment.

Sounds good. Based off what I've read, I would have the following questions.

1. Are the trainers certified or are they students who "volunteer" their time?
    2. Are those sessions 30 or 60 minutes?
    3. If you buy a package, is the fitness assessment included in the price?
    4. How much of the fitness assessment is dedicated to mobility / joint flexibility. (Personally I think this is the most important part of an assessment)

From what I've seen, the prices are pretty good. I spend $35 for one 30 minute session and I go twice a week.
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I pay $30 per session which run anywhere from 45mins to an 1 1/2 hours. I train with him three times a week.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Those prices are cheap!!!! I currently live in a very poor area of the country, very rural and dependent on farming for income, so very little market for personal training. When I moved here from Charlotte, I cut my prices in half because of the difference in economy. And my rates, even in a poor community, aren't that low. In fact, here are my current rates for you for a comparison.

Personal Training

30 Minute Sessions

Individual Session--$25

10 Sessions--$200 ($20 per session)

20 Sessions--$300 ($15 per session)

1 Hour Sessions

Individual Session--$35

10 Sessions--$300 ($30 per session)

20 Sessions--$500 ($25 per session)

Monthly Packages

Monthly packages require regularly scheduled one hour sessions and a minimum 3 month commitment.

2 Sessions per week--$240 per month (8 sessions at $30 per session)

3 Sessions per week--$300 per month (12 sessions at $25 per session)

Fitness Assessment

Approximately 1 hour session for non-package personal training clients or class participants
    $25 (Free for personal training clients who purchase a package)

Nutrition Services

Nutrition Consultation
    Approximately 1 hour session
    $25

Nutrition Monitoring
    Approximately 15 minutes to review journal
    $5

Weight Loss University
    Includes 12 weeks of classes on the weight loss manual, basic menu, exercise and nutrition journal, and food exchange lists, workout recommendations, and weekly exercise class.
    $50 enrollment, plus 2 monthly payments of $50 for a total of $150
    Or, prepaid $125

Private Classes

$10 per person, per class
    Minimum 2 people per class, maximum people per class depends on the space you provide