Cardio or Strength Training, which one do you prefer?

Options
meeche
meeche Posts: 4 Member
edited May 2017 in Introduce Yourself
I like to mix it up! Hi, been on MFP off and on for years. This time I'm staying. It can be hard to stay focus at times when life throws you curve balls, but Just keep going. Looking for motivational friends.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Is there a question in there?
  • power0304
    power0304 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    They are both good. Lifting weights tones and gives you nicely defined muscles and increases your metabolic rate for quite awhile afterwards. Cardio likewise tones muscles up predominantly calves, legs and butt. It burns heaps of calories straight up. I do both strength training twice a week and cardio 4 x a week and have had some awesome results. Hope this helps :-)
  • meeche
    Options
    Great response Power0304, very helpful. I need to add more strength training.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I prefer cardio since I'm a triathlete, but I know that strength training helps me with my goals so I make sure to factor it in
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Is there a question in there?

Yes. On the subject
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Both. Tennis for cardio and I love heavy lifting.
  • alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    both! i feel i'm losing my endurance when i quit doing cardio. so i'm currently mixing heavy lifting and hiit! :wink:
  • KaleChipz
    KaleChipz Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I do both. Cardio for endurance and weights for conditioning my body.
  • meeche
    Options
    I see that a lot of you guys have made me think more about incorporating heavy lifting to my routine. Thanks!
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    I like cardio better

Running is fun
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I love cardio! I don't enjoy lifting, but I love the feeling I have after and my body composition is better now than if I wouldn't have decided to lift at all.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Neither. I'm lazy. Unless you count riding my horse as cardio? Especially when I have to hike 1km up a massive hill to go get her.
  • vmoore520
    vmoore520 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do both. I do strength training 3 times a week with 30 minutes if cardio and then twice a week I do 60 minutes of straight cardio. I have only been working out for 3 weeks and do not enjoy cardio, I just get worn out, lol. I have heard it gets better.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I don't do cardio. I spent 8-1- hours per week in the gym and it's all lifting. I hate cardio so much I could cry. At least...gym cardio. I'm really trying to dedicate little time to it so I can cut for the summer. It's just...so horrible
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I like strength training more though I do realize the benefits of cardio. I try to do cardio after I lift. I used to go running outside in the morning and that was one of the best feelings.
  • 1LonelyRose
    1LonelyRose Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Both. I do two 35 minute sessions of cardio 5 days a week and strength training 5 days a week as well alternating leg, butt and gut day and arms, chest , back and gut. I primarily use the elliptical machine to start and finish my workout. So far I have made progress I lost 41 pounds since January but I keep my calories under 1600 a day for the most part.
  • JDHayesBC
    JDHayesBC Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm old (53) and much to my chagrin, just walking a few miles and spending 30 minutes on the elliptical yesterday was vaguely noticeable in my legs this morning. That is a sorry, sorry thing to say given that I'm a member of a species design to run down prey over long distances in the savanna. So for now at least I'm doing purely cardio work until I get my body a bit more tuned up.

Insofar as what I prefer... cardio all the way. It's so easy to just jump on the elliptical or step out into the sun for a walk. It's such a huge hairy headache to sort out the strength training stuff which requires equipment, room, and knowledge... none of which I really have.
  • duanevaux
    duanevaux Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Both!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Both! My cardio machine of choice also does some strength/resistance work (glider; slightly less intense than an elliptical, but similar idea). I've added fit tubes, bands, and dumbbells and I'm loving them!
  • OY74NmFGBL
    OY74NmFGBL Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I enjoy both. For cardio I mostly power walk or run about 5 days a week. I walk twice at work and then after work a few days. For strength I have been using an app called Sworkit 4-5 times a week for 25 min sessions. I'm def enjoying the benefits of strength exercises.