Any exercise tips for home?

Basic background, I'm 20 and need to loose weight. Not comfortable with the gym, so would like to know what you guys do at home? Or if you guys are doing any challenges :-)

Replies

• ALIHOMRANY
    ALIHOMRANY Posts: 20 Member
    Me
    - Cardio mostly legs , push ups (around 90-120) daily
    Walk 1 hour.
    Eat less
    Drink a lot
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    There is a load of home based dvd's out there - some requires dumbells, some don't.... Youtube is your friend....Or look on amazon. Beachbody has good programs (I LOVE P(90X and a few others) but don't fall for their magic shakes and coaches, just get the dvd's.....
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,606 Member
    I do HASfit workouts, about 3x per week. they're free on Youtube. They have all different types of workouts - full body, cardio with and without free weights. There's lots to choose from. The only equipment I need and use are dumbells (3s, 5s, 8's and 10's) and a mat for floor work. It's fun, challenging, you can start slow and work up to the Coach's level. I also like to walk 2 - 3 miles on alternate days.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Hubs and I just finished this one for cardio: http://www.shape.com/sites/shape.com/files/u36/workout_chart_jump_for_joy.pdf

We did one round and it only takes about 20 minutes, or you could do it twice. I do the imaginary jump rope since we do it in the living room, but I burn a solid 220 calories per round (5'7", ~180lbs).

I also have a set of dumbbells and do the Body Sculpting Bible for Women program, but if you don't have any equipment, then stick with the push-ups, sit ups, dips, body weight squats and lunges, etc. There are a lot of really good no-equipment workouts out there....just google them!
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Youtube is full of good workouts. I use the kinect and do the shape up game sometimes. I will pick 10 songs I like and dance and do other cardio. You can get a stationary bike or get some weights. Do things you will enjoy and give yourself workout goals.
  • johnw83
    johnw83 Posts: 6,219 Member
    I use a spin bike burn 1000 cal in half an hour
  • avadahm
    avadahm Posts: 111 Member
    You can totally start without weights or resistance at first to build muscle for later. Work on your core with planking (there are great 30 day planking challenges on Google) to get a good posture and ab workout, push-ups (again, challenges or variations to make it easier/harder are on Google), walking helps (try a brisk walk for cardio), squats (if you need variations, look on Google) and work up to lunges. Have a friend join for accountability on the challenges because they can actually be easy to give up on.

Any exercise you do at home I recommend that you look at a video on how to do it right first and then focus on getting it right before you add numbers. It shouldn't be hard to get it down, you'll just have to focus. Start with working out 15-20 minutes a day with your heart rate up and work your way up from there.

As you become stronger, look into doing exercises with resistance bands or balls or light dumbbells. They're relatively inexpensive and can give you some new muscle groups to work that you might not have gotten to yet.
  • slinky_shaz
    slinky_shaz Posts: 21 Member
    hi, i started working out at home when i desperately wanted to loose weight for my wedding.

i bought Jillian Michaels '30 day shred' for about £5 on amazon. all three levels are on youtube for free though. i highly recommend! i lost 2 stone and over 3 dress sizes in 6 months of doing that dvd and rotating with some of her other dvds... and i have abs for the first time in my entire life (despite being active before) at age 39!!!

it's 3 levels over 30 days (10 straight days of each) and consists of a warmup, then 3 sets of 3 circuits made up of 3 mins cardio, 2 mins strength and 1 min abs. it takes 27 flipping minutes which is what appealed to me the most.

you'll need some hand weights.