salad dressing

Options
perkymommy
perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
edited May 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Does anyone else add a little water (1-3 tbsp) to their salad to make the dressing go farther? I do it with the thicker dressings like ranch, caesar and 1000 island.

Replies

• perkymommy
    Options
    I measure the dressing. I only eat 1 or 2 tbsp depending on the amount of lettuce I eat. The little bit of water makes it spread out more on the lettuce ;)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    No, I have done so if the dressing is really strong though.

I just use 1TBS of dressing and shake the heck out of the salad in a Tupperware to coat it.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I have to say, that sounds really gross. Personally, I'd rather make my own than buy it; however, I LOVE a good balsamic vinaigrette.

Oil
    Balsamic
    Red wine vinegar
    Herbs (your choice)
    Crushed garlic
    A little dijon mustard
    A little brown sugar
    s/p to taste
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I always go with balsamic and use it sparingly. All the others are too calorie dense.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Most vinaigrettes and dressings contain a small percent of water. You need a bit of water for thinning purposes or else you can be left with more of a paste than a vinaigrette. Vinaigrettes are usually a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio of oil to acid. The oil is what makes the mixture thick. It also emulsifies with the other ingredients to create stability so the mixture doesn't break. If you blend too long, and let the mixture get too hot, it will always break, so be careful to blend on medium low and keep things cool.

Sherry-Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette

1 cup sherry vinegar
    3 large cloves roasted garlic (not burnt)
    1 heap tbsp Dijon mustard
    3 tbsp honey
    Kosher salt, to taste
    About 1/2 cup ice water

Blend the above ingredients, then add enough olive oil to emulsify, thicken, & create balanced flavor.

Caesar Dressing

1 pint parmigiano reggiano, shaved with peeler
    1 tbsp capers and brine
    1 tbsp Dijon mustard
    Juice of 1 small lemon + zest
    2 cloves raw garlic
    2 tbsp red wine vinegar
    2 pieces anchovy
    A few dashes of Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 cup ice water, or more
    Kosher salt & fresh cracked pepper, to taste

Blend the above ingredients, then slowly add:
    6 egg yolks and enough canola oil to emulsify, thicken, and create balanced flavor.

Balsamic Vinaigrette

1 cup Balsamic vinegar
    1 small shallot
    3 tbsp. honey
    2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
    Kosher salt

Blend the above ingredients then add enough canola oil to emulsify, thicken, and create balanced flavor.

Citrus Vinaigrette

1/2 cup reduced orange juice (simmer on stovetop until reduce by half, then quick cool)
    1/2 cup ice water
    2 lemons, juice and zest reserved
    2 limes, juice and zest reserved
    2 oranges, zest reserved
    1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
    1/2 shallot
    Kosher salt

Blend everything above except for zest, then add enough extra virgin olive oil to emulsify, thicken, and create balanced flavor.

Place in container, add zest, and shake to combine.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    No, I don't like thick, creamy dressings on salad.

I either use olive oil and balsamic vinegar or I make my own vinaigrette which is just lemon juice, oilve oil, dijon mustard and salt & pepper.
  • NoAnalHere
    NoAnalHere Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    For store brought balsamic vinegar and fat free Italian dressing are my best friends. Each is 20 calories and lower.

Homemade I use some Italian dressing with a little yogurt and curry powder which is under 50 calories
  • JTlivez
    JTlivez Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    No, but I do keep it on the side and just dip my fork into it instead of pouring it over my salads. You still get all the flavor but save a ton of calories because you'll use a lot less!

Why didn't I think of that :o
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options

I just use 1TBS of dressing and shake the heck out of the salad in a Tupperware to coat it.

That's what i do too!
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I brought salad to work for a potluck. I had literally a huge Tupperware filled with chopped vegetables and barely 1.5oz dressing. My coworkers were all very weary that the dressing would be enough for that much vegetables. At the time of the lunch I poured the dressing on top of the vegetables, closed the lid and shook it. To their amazement, the dressing was enough. They never stop talking about it!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Watered down dressing sounds gross to me. I just make sure I have enough calories to use a normal dose or even extra if I feel I need it. :)
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I strictly use hot sauce.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I changed the ratio on my dressing to more vinegar, less olive oil. Tastes just as good, no water involved. I also like the shake it around method. It's really possible to make good extremely low cal dressings too--I do with vinegar and mustard or a spicy one with sriracha, soy, and lime. Recently did a steak salad (with arugula, zucchini, and avocado) with just a low cal tomatillo.
  • perkymommy
    Options

Same here. I shake it up.

Not sure why water mixed in with any dressing is gross though :D It's water? lol
  • perkymommy
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Watered down dressing sounds gross to me. I just make sure I have enough calories to use a normal dose or even extra if I feel I need it. :)

I didn't say watered down. I said a couple of tbsp to spread it out more because it's thick. ;) Huge difference there.
  • perkymommy
    Options

thanks for these recipes!! :)
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Most vinaigrettes and dressings contain a small percent of water. You need a bit of water for thinning purposes or else you can be left with more of a paste than a vinaigrette. Vinaigrettes are usually a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio of oil to acid. The oil is what makes the mixture thick. It also emulsifies with the other ingredients to create stability so the mixture doesn't break. If you blend too long, and let the mixture get too hot, it will always break, so be careful to blend on medium low and keep things cool.

Sherry-Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette

1 cup sherry vinegar
    3 large cloves roasted garlic (not burnt)
    1 heap tbsp Dijon mustard
    3 tbsp honey
    Kosher salt, to taste
    About 1/2 cup ice water

Blend the above ingredients, then add enough olive oil to emulsify, thicken, & create balanced flavor.

Caesar Dressing

1 pint parmigiano reggiano, shaved with peeler
    1 tbsp capers and brine
    1 tbsp Dijon mustard
    Juice of 1 small lemon + zest
    2 cloves raw garlic
    2 tbsp red wine vinegar
    2 pieces anchovy
    A few dashes of Worcestershire sauce
    Kosher salt & fresh cracked pepper, to taste

Blend the above ingredients, then slowly add:
    6 egg yolks and enough canola oil to emulsify, thicken, and create balanced flavor.

Balsamic Vinaigrette

1 cup Balsamic vinegar
    1 small shallot
    3 tbsp. honey
    2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
    Kosher salt

Blend the above ingredients then add enough canola oil to emulsify, thicken, and create balanced flavor.

Citrus Vinaigrette

1/2 cup reduced orange juice (simmer on stovetop until reduce by half, then quick cool)
    1/2 cup ice water
    2 lemons, juice and zest reserved
    2 limes, juice and zest reserved
    2 oranges, zest reserved
    1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
    1/2 shallot
    Kosher salt

Blend everything above except for zest, then add enough extra virgin olive oil to emulsify, thicken, and create balanced flavor.

Place in container, add zest, and shake to combine.