Travel Wishes?

Options
amandaeve
amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
Say you are awarded $1100 USD plus airfare, per person, for you and your partner to travel anywhere you want for 12 days between now and the end of the year. Where do you go, and why?

Replies

• km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    Scotland, New Zealand or Greece. No reason, they're just beautiful.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Spain. And run with the bulls.

PS. I can't run but its a fun thought
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Any where that gets me out of Toronto!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Mars.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I'd have us take a mini tour of Europe. I have anxiety and flying is terrifying for me so I've told my husband that when the kids move out we're flying to Europe, seeing as much of it as we can in two weeks, then I'm never getting on a plane again lol
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Any one of these would be fine:

- Antarctica, because of how remote and empty it is
    - New Zealand, because of the interesting physical geography, and I imagine awesome coastlines
    - Australia, because of the beaches and coastlines and the animals, and the Great Barrier Reef
    - Alaska, because of the natural environment, and again coastline
    - Iceland, because of the general physical geography especially volcanoes and hot springs, and the northern lights
    - Hawaii, because of the coastlines, ocean access, volcanoes, and tropical environment
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Already going to Rome in the Fall, so I would probably do a few other European cities, Paris, Venice, Athens, etc.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    African safari for definite

Just because it would be amazing also I'd like a chance to get up really close to say a cheetah or tiger, tame ones that is.

We're going on safari in Tanzania for 10 days over Christmas...family of 4 is costing well over 1,100 per person...it will be amazing, and likely a once in a lifetime experience...unfortunately, it also means that we've basically had no vacation since last May and won't until Christmas other than long weekend type of stuff...gotta save the Benjamins.
  • amandaeve
    Options
    @cwolfman13 I noticed many of the locations listed could not be done on less than $100 a day without extreme budgeting, or at all. I think I'm getting more of a list of dream vacations than I am a list of vacations at that budget, lol, but it's still fun to see people's responses.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    @cwolfman13 I noticed many of the locations listed could not be done on less than $100 a day without extreme budgeting, or at all. I think I'm getting more of a list of dream vacations than I am a list of vacations at that budget, lol, but it's still fun to see people's responses.

Oooh...and I thought it was $1,100 per person and airfare per person...$1,100 total doesn't leave too many options. I think my wife and I might have spent something close to that when we went to Utila, Honduras back in 2002.
  • Vikka_V
    Options

lol, so true.

I'd sleep outside, no hotel, except in Antarctica!

And I'd be going by myself so can I have the money allotted to the other person as well? :smile:
  • amandaeve
    Options
    @Vikka_V cruises to Antarctica run $15-$35k per person depending on which area you visit. Sleeping outside makes sense for all the others, though. And you could have fantastic camping along the coastline of all those places. You actually listed my favorites, I've been to all, traveling alone as well, except Iceland. And Iceland is on the bucket list for sure!
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    @Vikka_V cruises to Antarctica run $15-$35k per person depending on which area you visit. Sleeping outside makes sense for all the others, though. And you could have fantastic camping along the coastline of all those places. You actually listed my favorites, I've been to all, traveling alone as well, except Iceland. And Iceland is on the bucket list for sure!

Awesome!

Yikes, who knew going to the south pole was so expensive!

I guess that would probably narrow it down to Alaska for me, probably in the off season due to air travel costs!
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options

Which ship were you looking at? I found one for about 4k.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Paris is always a good idea.

So is Ireland - Dublin is great, and Galway is fantastic. It's a great country to do an extended 10-12 day tour to hit all the little corners. It's small enough that traveling from place to place doesn't take up all of your time (the train from Dublin to Galway is three hours, and they're legit on OPPOSITE sides of the country), but there's enough diversity that you stay interested - pretty beaches, stunning cliffs, lovely mountains, small towns, big cities, rivers and lakes...

OR you could do bike tour of any of the wine regions in France if you're into biking and wine (and who isn't?!). Go in September/October and the weather will be nice but the tourists will all be back home. My personal favorite is the Loire Valley, though Burgundy is a CLOSE second.
  • amandaeve
    Options
    @km8907 thanks for sharing. I have not shopped, I only know what others I know have paid.