Greek Yogurt or Cottage cheese?

2»

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    I like greek yogurt because it has a touch more protein for the calories but I need to shovel in the splenda and whatever mix ins I use (protein powder/pb2) to make it palatable. I like Fage 0% of Open Nature 0%.

I prefer the low sodium cottage cheese I eat (with same mix ins sans the splenda) but my store doesn't always have it in stock when I go to the market so that's when I buy the greek yogurt.

Sometimes I'll mix in a bit of greek yogurt (to use it up) into the cottage cheese. Sooooo good that way. :)
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    I like both. Had both today actually. I buy the breakstone livactive 2% cottage cheese 4 packs and take em for snacks to work. I am another one that prefers just salt and pepper. My mother used to eat the pineapple and cherry stuff and it still makes me cringe.
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Greek Yogurt. Never had cottage cheese.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    I alternate, depending on what's on sale. I love both.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Depends which one I'm in the mood for. I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian and both are significant sources of protein for me.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Cottage cheese is not fermented, and thus contains no "probiotics" (bacteria), if you care about that. It is just separated milk with most of the liquid removed.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2017
    Why not both?

Exactly.

7a0t3525a79l.gif

[ETA:] I'm not afraid of sugar in moderation (don't even bother tracking it), and I buy low-sodium cottage cheese. So it's either/or for me, according to what I feel like eating at the moment. I've actually eaten both today - Greek yogurt with breakfast and cottage cheese with lunch.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Whichever one you want that fits your goals. No one food is "healthy" or "unhealthy".

But personally I say the yogurt. Cottage cheese does not sound or look appealing to me.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    OP, I'm not trying to be rude but you've been here awhile and tend to post similar things like this. Dontcha get it yet? Anyway, eat the one that fits your goals and taste best. For me, it's 0% yogurt because I prefer the volume and I get a little crazy with cottage cheese because I really like it.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    thanks for the responses... was curious to your take.

semi off topic, is taking probiotic pills even necessary when eating greek yogurt?
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    I mix them both together.

Do tell. Do you add anything?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I mix them both together.

Do tell. Do you add anything?

I make a chocolate pudding type dessert.

100g Greek yogurt
    100g cottage cheese
    30g chocolate/peanut butter protein powder

I also sometimes make a chia pudding and spoon some cottage cheese over the top.

Chocolate Halotop ice cream mixed with cottage cheese is delish too.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    raven56706 wrote: »

semi off topic, is taking probiotic pills even necessary when eating greek yogurt?

I don't rely on yogurt for probiotics, I'm not sure how many are left or even all dead by the time it makes it to my bowl. I take a separate probiotic with 25 billion cfu's.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    raven56706 wrote: »

The science is still in early days on probiotics. Is one probiotic 'better' than another? That depends on who's got one for sale. Is it better to eat prebiotics which promote the development of beneficial bacteria in the colon, or to eat probiotics which must traverse the highly acidic stomach before getting to the colon?

Neither taking probiotic pills nor eating yogurt is necessary. Both are optional. I started fermenting milk into kefir last year hoping to provide a calcium source to my lactose-intolerant daughter. Only after that did I start reading about supposed probiotic benefits of fermented foods. Indeed, I have been fermenting milk, vegetables, and now tea for several months and have no miraculous cures to report. I like the taste of some things I have with kefir. I like the taste of kimchi on my steamed vegetables. I like the taste and macros of yogurt and the many ways it can be combined with other things in interesting dishes. I'm still not sure if I'm going to like anything I do with kombucha.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    cmtigger wrote: »
    If you get plain Greek yogurt is it any higher in sugar? And no salt added cottage cheese isn't very high in sodium.

I keep both on hand and eat what I feel like.

That part