Need to rant - the struggle of inconsistent scales

Options
So I'm really frustrated, I've been trying to lose weight on and off since what feels like forever. But over the past 2 months I've had a complete change in mind set where I'm really improving my lifestyle e.g. sticking to 1,200 calories, regular walks/jobs, making home cooked meals, low carbs. And apart from a minor 5 day blip on my 21St birthday (all inclusive holidays are hard to stay clean on), I've been so so good. I know this sounds so cliche but this time feels different, I'm not on a diet, I'm changing my lifestyle for good. People have even started to comment that I'm looking good, my clothes are fitting better , etc.

But it's so hard to know how much I've lost with INCONSISTENT SCALES. It is so so frustrating.

I don't really have a "goal weight" as such, I'm just using my recommended BMI as a benchmark but that's so far away that I've set myself smaller goals. But I'm struggling to know if I'm achieving them. I'm at University so I'm always in lots of different places. The first time I weighed myself after my lifestyle overhaul was at my sister's apartment and she had one of those digital scales. I'd dropped by about 8kg. This was good considering the massive change in diet. I was there for a week and my weight didn't change which was expected and demonstrated the scales were accurate. Then I went home and we have those scales you read manually. I weighed myself and it said the same but over the 2 weeks at home, I'd lost about 2-3kg. But then I got back to uni, I don't have a scale so I borrow my flatmates digital one. And it showed that I had put on weight. I gave it another week or so and just weighed myself again. I had gone down only very slightly. Every time I change the display settings my weight changes. Then I went away and went back to reweigh myself and o had drastically gone down. I don't know what's happening.

So I don't know what to do. I can't really afford to buy myself a new scale right now. And I know numbers on a scale aren't everything but it would just be nice if I could link how hard I'm trying to something tangible.

Replies

• Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Is there a scale in the gym at your university? Use that one. Weigh at the same time of day whenever you use it.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Scales are going to vary, that's a fact. It's up to you how you deal with it. If you must weigh yourself, find a set of scales at a gym or a pharmacy that you can access once a week or once a month even and use those exclusively.
  • glitterng
    glitterng Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree with finding a scale you can use at the same day and same time once a week. Also, maybe until you can get your own scale to use, try using your measurements. Measure your biceps, your upper thighs, your waist, your chest. Those can also give you a good idea of how your new way of eating is helping you get healthy and fit.
  • damdam96
    damdam96 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for replying! Turns out there are high quality scales in my University gym for a small 20p charge. Used that and got an accurate reading, it's exactly where I thought I should be so I'm happy. Going to take your advice and weigh once a week at the same time but my focus will be on my measurements. Thank you all, was feeling very frustrated and demotivated when I originally posted this! ❤