Overeating after a workout

Options
Okay guys, I need help. Ive been dieting for a few months and initially lost 20 lbs and then plateau'd at my current weight. I cant cut calories any more than I already have so I decided to start working out again. The problem is, every time I workout Im starving afterwards. If I give into my cravings, my whole workout was pointless. Any advice?

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    if you cant cut calories anymore it means your eating a minimum. You should be eating back your calories.
  • matilda0198
    matilda0198 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    if you cant cut calories anymore it means your eating a minimum. You should be eating back your calories.

But if I eat 1200 calories, burn 300 calories at the gym and then come home and eat 300 more calories wont I still stay at the same weight?
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    no you wont stay at the same weight because when MFP gives you 1200 calories to eat it has already given you the deficit you need in order to lose weight. if you burn 300 cals you should be eating them back
  • JaydedMiss
    edited May 2017
    Options
    no...1200 has your defecit already in it. 1200 is a minimum. A very low one for a bedridden person or people with non relevant issues. If your exercising you should be eating some back and fueling your workouts, Their for health and fitness more then weight loss, However you can do both. Eat back atleast 50% the fact your starving is your body telling you to eat more for a reason
  • matilda0198
    matilda0198 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    no...1200 has your defecit already in it. 1200 is a minimum. A very low one. If your exercising you should be eating some back and fueling your workouts, Their for health and fitness more then weight loss, However you can do both. Eat back atleast 50% the fact your starving is your body telling you to eat more for a reason

So what are the affects of working out if I just eat back my calories? How will working out still increase my weight loss?
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    no...1200 has your defecit already in it. 1200 is a minimum. A very low one. If your exercising you should be eating some back and fueling your workouts, Their for health and fitness more then weight loss, However you can do both. Eat back atleast 50% the fact your starving is your body telling you to eat more for a reason

So what are the affects of working out if I just eat back my calories? How will working out still increase my weight loss?

It means you get to eat more food while losing weight at the same rate. That makes working out awesome in my book.
  • JaydedMiss
    edited May 2017
    Options

Working out improves your body composition, Your overall health and energy levels, Will make your body look leaner and nicer, But shouldnt really be considered a way to speed weight loss (not really). Like i said you need to fuel your body, You can eat more and be more mentally and physically satisfied(good for long term changes), And if you eat back only 50% you can still increase your calories out and speed weight loss. Your body is the boss, If your not fueling it you wont work out nearly as efficiently and its just counter productive and youll be miserable. As seems to be the case right now. Sometimes i find eating more makes me lose faster because it makes me alot more efficient at things you dont even realize your not being efficient at
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing on 1200 cals you probably need to revisit your food logging.
    Just about everyone gets lax over time and needs to pick up on the precision.

Start by checking that your scale doesn't need new batteries then weigh all solids, take nothing for granted, including pre-packaged foods. If in doubt with meats, seafood, veg, fruit, etc, check them against the usda data base.
    Don't ignore accounting for the little things, condiments, oils, dressings, and marinades.

If you decide to continue working out, eat back the calories. Start with 50 or 75% then adjust so you are losing at your expected rate.

You haven't provided any stats, but if you have only 5-10 lbs to lose it will be slow. .5 lbs a week or less.

Cheers, h.