New to My Fitness Pal & looking for help

Options
Hi, I'm Rachel and yesterday I joined My Fitness Pal. I'm looking at losing a lot of weight but can't seem to grasp hold of any diets. Decided to start calorie counting to see if that helps. My dad has recently lost weight by doing this so hopefully I have the same will power as my dad. I'm looking for friends who will share there daily diarys so I can see what people are eating to lose weight. Another thing for me is exercise. Would love to hear any tips, recipies or advice you have for me. I'm new to this way and need all the help I can get! Xx

Replies

• mikeynooms
    mikeynooms Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm pretty much in the same boat and it's always great to have new friends to help you along the way! I'm 2st 6lbs down so far, another 8st to go!
    I'm not sure how to add people on here I cant seem to find the add button!
    Mikey :)
  • CBuniverse
    CBuniverse Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm not new but new to being serious. I've also joined the gym but it's been hard as I can't even touch my toes. and started walking more I'm losing inches more than weight loss and I have more energy. My downfall is not planning ahead with meals which is something I want to get my head round. I'm 85.9 kgs and I my first target is getting under 80. I'm feeling positive sending positivity to you too
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP Rachel if you need any help just shout. Start by logging all your foods and drinks and get used to that and always use a food scale, good luck
  • RachBrad87
    RachBrad87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for replying. I've tried adding you all to my friends list... hopefully it works. I'm logging everything I'm having so hopefully that will help me. I need to try and forward plan too but finding it hard to!
  • MicheleDeFinizio
    MicheleDeFinizio Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm new here too. My goal is to lose 23 pounds. I started a week ago and I'm down a pound, but I haven't been serious about it (I had fried Oreos on Sunday at Six Flags :( I'm getting serious now though! One question... we have a nutritionist at work and she said I should try to eat $1675 calories a day. The app says 1200... is there a way to change the app? I feel better going by the nutritionist's recommendation... (I can always just ignore what the app says, but if I go over 1200 I feel bad looking at the numbers on the app., it's a head thing I guess!)
    Thanks and good luck to everyone! Feel free to add me, I have no idea what I'm doing yet!
  • syazo94
    syazo94 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey Rachel, I just joined MFP today, too! I've been going to the gym a lot and I found that I actually really enjoy it! I joined a gym that offers classes like Zumba or "Butts and Guts" and the other members are so supportive! I definitely suggest finding a gym like that!

As far as dieting goes--I'm in the same boat, girl! ):
  • bmstreetman378
    bmstreetman378 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hey Rachael! I would love to chat about your fitness and nutrition goals a little more. I feel like I can help you move in the right direction and get where you want to be. Feel free to reach out to me for help!
  • amartinez10717
    amartinez10717 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Rachel, I sent you a friend request. Anyone else that would like to send me a friend request please do so. I am currently at 285 lbs, My small goal is get out of the 80's. Small goals work better for me. Feeling emotionally ready to begin a life change for myself and my children I have 3 a 12 year old a 22 month old and a 8 month. I am doing calorie tracking and meal prep, I love watching inspirational videos on you tube, I also like to meal prep. I am just tired of feeling tired and mad at everyone because of my weight.
  • Nicolahp
    Nicolahp Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I'm in the same boat as you, and currently looking for some recipies, however, if you like shepherds pie then try switiching normal potoatos to sweet potoato, i did a few weeks back and thought it tasted so much better!
  • gt0186b
    gt0186b Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have plenty of recipes to share if you want to add me. I've been doing a form of paleo for over a year so most of them are all natural and lower lower carb.
  • jpk3k9
    jpk3k9 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'd be glad to help keep each other accountable if you're looking for that. I've tried MFP before but fell off the wagon. I'm back on now and would love some motivation. :)
  • jpk3k9
    Options
    I'm new here too. My goal is to lose 23 pounds. I started a week ago and I'm down a pound, but I haven't been serious about it (I had fried Oreos on Sunday at Six Flags :( I'm getting serious now though! One question... we have a nutritionist at work and she said I should try to eat $1675 calories a day. The app says 1200... is there a way to change the app? I feel better going by the nutritionist's recommendation... (I can always just ignore what the app says, but if I go over 1200 I feel bad looking at the numbers on the app., it's a head thing I guess!)
    Thanks and good luck to everyone! Feel free to add me, I have no idea what I'm doing yet!

There is a way to change your calorie goal, I adjusted it before when i was training for a 10k and was crazy hungry all the time. Look in your profile settings and you should be able to override it. :)
  • jpk3k9
    Options
    mikeynooms wrote: »
    Hi there! I'm pretty much in the same boat and it's always great to have new friends to help you along the way! I'm 2st 6lbs down so far, another 8st to go!
    I'm not sure how to add people on here I cant seem to find the add button!
    Mikey :)

Click on their name, then click on their name again, then add friend.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    RachBrad87 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm Rachel and yesterday I joined My Fitness Pal. I'm looking at losing a lot of weight but can't seem to grasp hold of any diets. Decided to start calorie counting to see if that helps. My dad has recently lost weight by doing this so hopefully I have the same will power as my dad. I'm looking for friends who will share there daily diarys so I can see what people are eating to lose weight. Another thing for me is exercise. Would love to hear any tips, recipies or advice you have for me. I'm new to this way and need all the help I can get! Xx

Welcome! You can lose weight if you stick to the amount of calories you are given here. Good luck to you and feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Territrek
    Territrek Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you want. Both my food and exercise diaries are open to my MFP friends.

I have been exercising for about 5 years. I am 59 and I am so glad I started to take charge of my health.

I am willing to support you on your weight loss journey.
  • Tcthept37
    Tcthept37 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    New here and happy to help support :) feel free to add