How bad is tinned soup?

Options
So I'm a vegan student recovering from the eating disorder EDNOS and atypical OCD. I've been struggling recently and so have adjusted my calories and macros. My question is: how bad would it be for me to eat tinned soup for lunch 5-7 days a week. Tesco do a tasty cheap lentil or Tuscan bean one with a decent amount of protein. Should I be worried by fat/salt/chemicals? Im open to any other cheap easy vegan portable alternative suggestions!

Replies

• Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    UK tinned soups tend to be really healthy even salt-wise, so I say go for it.
  • CTRLplusZ
    CTRLplusZ Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think it's really a personal choice.... Without a doubt you'll find someone who will tell you it's bad but everyone has an opinion.

My opinion is that i don't like the taste of canned soups, i would rather make my own however if i had to choose between canned soup or nothing, I'd eat the soup.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Two questions. 1) Has your doctor told you to restrict your sodium? 2) Are you still in a calorie deficit with the soup?

If the answer to the first question is 'no', don't worry about the sodium for now. It may cause some initial water retention, but that will pass. My n=1? I regularly go over my sodium and I've dropped 56 lbs in just over 6 months. Plus I checked my blood pressure last month and it had gone down from the very top of the pre-hypertensive range to the middle of it (130/90 to 125/85). I'm not a doctor, but from what I understand, high sodium doesn't cause HBP, though if you've been diagnosed with it, low sodium will help you manage it.

If you aren't going over your target calories with the soup, then the weight is going to come off.

If you like the soup... go for it.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Muana1005 wrote: »
    UK tinned soups tend to be really healthy even salt-wise, so I say go for it.

I was just going to say the same.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    The sell those 'glorious' soups in Tesco.

Nice stuff. Nothing to worry about.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Can you stick to your plan eating soup 5-7 days per week? If yes, do it.

I think I wouldn't personally feel full on only soup, and would probably end up overeating later because of it.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I have trouble feeling full on soup, but if it works for you, go for it. Sounds like the salt content isn't bad considering the above posters, and even if you were in the US, I would just recommend increasing water intake if you start getting thirsty.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I don't like the taste of tinned soups, tend to find them salty and/or bland. I like the fresh soups though, or make my own and freeze it in potions for later. So cold today I wish I'd brought soup for lunch instead of tabbouleh! (Which is also vegan and transportable and doesn't even need chilling unless you've got a stinky cheese in it!)
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    They taste like piss and are full of sodium. ;) Make your own, you'll thank yourself later. Soups are very easy to make, the good ones just take a little time. A crock pot can even make a great soup while you are at work.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Off topic: I seriously thought there was such thing as soup supplemented with tin (for tin-deficient people? I don't know!). :D Cheers to dialects.

On topic: If you watch the amount of sodium in those soups, they can be pretty good. I'm all for making a big pot of my own and freezing portions though. Soup is cheap and easy.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Do you have an actual health condition that requires you to limit or avoid a certain ingredient?
    If not and you enjoy the canned soup then it is fine to eat it.

A pot of vegetable, lentil or bean soup is pretty easy and economical to make from scratch though and you can refrigerate, freeze and reheat it easily if you have those facilities.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/lemon-lentil-soup
    http://www.food.com/recipe/copycat-olive-garden-minestrone-soup-77585
    http://www.food.com/recipe/fassolatha-170923
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. The salt can be a bit high but as long as you aren't going salty all day its totally fine.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I could quite happily have soup 7 days a week, nothing wrong with tinned soup go for it.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Progresso Low Sodium Creamy Tomato Basil is my go to when I need a lower cal dinner. 120 cals for 1 serving/ 1/2 can - add some parm or cheddar cheese and a side veg and I'm nice & full. Economical too! I don't choose it because of the Low Sodium though, I just like it better than their other Tomato Basil.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    There is little to no evidence suggesting that "fresh", "whole", or whatever the latest trendy name is...shows any measurable difference. I spent 8 years in top physical condition eating mostly canned rations and dehydrated food. There are some delicious options out there. No need to limit yourself because of trendy nonsense.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I eat non-homemade soup 2 or 3 times a week, the sodium can be a little high, but I don't have a health condition and the rest of my diet isn't high in sodium so no biggy. But since I'm in the US, my soup is canned, not tinned :).

I really like the some of the Chunky soups, they are creamy and quick & easy to heat up and really fill me up, plus I'll usually dump some frozen mixed veggies in there as it heats up to get my veggie servings for the day increased.

OP, in your recovery I bet it will be important for you to avoid thinking of foods as "good" or "bad". There is always going to be someone to tell you that every single food you can imagine is "bad" for some reason. Just try to eat a well-balanced nutritious diet and don't sweat the small stuff.

There is no reason to worry about fat or chemicals, and salt is only a problem if you have medical reasons to worry about it. :drinker:
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    UK tinned soup tends to be healthier than 'fresh' versions, with more fresh veg/meat, and less salt. If you are going to buy shop bought soups then tinned is definitely the way to go here.
  • izzibusybee
    izzibusybee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! You've all made me feel so much better
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Then our work is done :)