Insulin spike from artificial sweetners

Options
I work 3rd shift and have been reliant on caffeine for a long time. I cant stand coffee so I drink zero calorie energy drinks. I've read what I can find online but there doesn't seem to be irrefutable proof that insulin spikes when consuming the fake sweetness. Anybody have an opinion?

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Do have a medical problem where you need to be concerned with 'Insulin spikes'?
  • kenjhammond65
    kenjhammond65 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't have any medical issues but insulin resistance is a concern. The more sensitive I am the better, for a variety of reasons. I'm restricting carbs to prevent spikes so I don't want to hinder those efforts with the artificial sweeteners.
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking it maybe true for some people, but not the majority.

I've tested it out on myself to see if I could decrease high blood sugar and it did absolutely nothings to my blood glucose reading.
  • Silinde
    Silinde Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I tend to disagree on this one too. Artificial sweeteners make your body "think" that sugar is going to arrive, so it'll prepare insulin to deal with that sugar. Because no sugar comes, your blood sugar gets low (the insulin takes away some blood sugar), making your liver respond by releasing sugar into your blood, hence the spike.
    If you use a lot of them and regularily, your body might learn that a sweet taste doesn't mean sugar will come, and you might get a sugar high the next time you do use regular sugar, too.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options

Insulin production is not regulated by flavor.

Some other hormones are affected by sensory inputs. I wouldn't be surprised if insulin is. :+1:
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Silinde wrote: »
    I tend to disagree on this one too. Artificial sweeteners make your body "think" that sugar is going to arrive, so it'll prepare insulin to deal with that sugar. Because no sugar comes, your blood sugar gets low (the insulin takes away some blood sugar), making your liver respond by releasing sugar into your blood, hence the spike.
    If you use a lot of them and regularily, your body might learn that a sweet taste doesn't mean sugar will come, and you might get a sugar high the next time you do use regular sugar, too.

This is the theory but I haven't seen any proof of it.

I remember reading about this in the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet, and it's semi-popular in low-carb circles, but it sounds more like magic than science...sorry. :(

OP, if you want to actually know, I mean know-know, on a personal level, why not prove it yourself by picking up a cheap glucose monitor starter kit? I think they can be had at Walmart for like $20. Test yourself and prove it to yourself rather than listening to what sounds like it might make sense if it were true. The lack of supporting studies of the theory should be proof enough but I get it, in LC circles this is just shouted from the rooftops, and pretty frequently. Don't just believe in what someone else says, do your own test.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I don't have any medical issues but insulin resistance is a concern. The more sensitive I am the better, for a variety of reasons. I'm restricting carbs to prevent spikes so I don't want to hinder those efforts with the artificial sweeteners.

Are you restricting protein for the same reason?

Good point. Protein is equally as insulogenic as carbs are.
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Are you restricting protein for the same reason?

This, if you really wanted to keep it low, you'd have to restrict protein and carbs and eat higher fat.

Edit: Have you had blood work done? Do you KNOW that you're insulin resistant?
  • blueeyetea
    blueeyetea Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think you'll need to try for yourself. I found that removing artificial sweeteners from my diet helped with curbing my cravings for something sweet. So, while I can't say if using them was causing insulin spikes, I would drink bottles of flavored water a lot faster than just plain water or unsweetened ice tea. Something about the sweetened powder made me reach for that drink a lot more often than not.

Have you tried flavoring your water in other ways, like putting cucumber or a few pieces of fruit? Making cold-brew iced tea (black or herbal) works too.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I work 3rd shift and have been reliant on caffeine for a long time. I cant stand coffee so I drink zero calorie energy drinks. I've read what I can find online but there doesn't seem to be irrefutable proof that insulin spikes when consuming the fake sweetness. Anybody have an opinion?

No opinion just the facts as presented to me by the specialized doctor that works with me to manage my diabetes. Artificial sweeteners DO NOT spike insulin. This has also been confirmed anecdotally by me and my blood glucose meter.

My personal experience and my meter also confirmed this.