Tasty cottage cheese recipes anyone??

Options
I never eat cottage cheese but since it has a great amount of protein in it, I tried it and really disliked it. Any good recipes to make it taste good, shoot please!

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,871 Member
    Options
    I like it salted with cucumber and radishes cut up into it. :)

I eat it just about everyday like that.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I love it with cinnamon and fruit mixed in.
  • kay_fitnessjourney
    kay_fitnessjourney Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    I guess, anything with cinnamon is delicious! Great idea thanks
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    I guess, anything with cinnamon is delicious! Great idea thanks

Best part... cinnamon adds a negligible amount of calories. If on top of that you add some sweet berries or a sweet fruit, it can get down right delicious! So, with 100g cottage cheese and the equivalent in fruit, you're at less than 200kcals for a snack :smile:
  • huruta22
    huruta22 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of difference in taste between brands. I love organic valley whole milk cottage cheese. It is delicious even for those of us who don't love cottage cheese . It will set you back about $6 though (ugh). (No affiliation with company)
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    beaglady wrote: »
    Use in mashed potatoes instead of butter. Especially good with chives and garlic powder added.

Ooh, I've never considered this. Project!
  • KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Use it in a breakfast casserole with eggs, hashbrowns and veggies.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I like Greek yogurt because of the texture. I mix about 160 grams with a TBSP of unsweetened coconut flakes. Try getting full fat cottage cheese and whipping it up so that it is like sour cream and putting it on things you would use with sour cream. I like the whipped cottage cheese on roasted tomatoes with basil and pepper flakes.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I usually do chia seeds/cinnamon/walnuts.

My kids love frozen blueberries and cottage cheese.
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I do about a half of cup of uncooked oatmeal with a cup of cottage cheese n fruit on top with honey on top Every day as my second meal it's like 30 grams of protein I get my cottage cheese in 10lbs it's called Daves it's the best I ever had I eat that 5-6 days a week .
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I love my cottage cheese covered in chopped chives, freshly cracked black pepper, and paprika. I also love it with fruit--mandarin oranges, pears, and pineapple in particular. Different brands will have a completely different flavor so try several.

If you bought a container and are trying to use it up, you could always make lasagna with it and use it in place of the ricotta. Both are fresh cheeses with a similar amount of protein; low fat ricotta might be a little higher on calories, or maybe it is just my brand, but basically it is a wash, so there is not much point to go out and get cottage cheese specially for lasagna.

Here are a lot more ideas, some of which look very tasty. But I will stick with eating it as simply as possible--the more things you load on or load it into, the more calories you rack up.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/nataliebrown/yes-you-can-eat-cottage-cheese?utm_term=.go7j3amY#.ww1wd6J1
  • LookingBusy
    LookingBusy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Blend it! I discovered that it is really the texture I hate and not necessarily the taste. Once blended you can add anything you want - cinnamon, cocoa, onion dip mix, ranch powder, roasted garlic, etc.
  • katiemaybe
    katiemaybe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like to put it on top of salad to replace dressing!
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup of cottage cheese and 1/2 cup frozen berries or other fruit of choice. Place ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. This might work in a blender; I haven't tried it. You can add sugar or sweetener if the fruit isn't sweet enough for you.

I also like to whisk some cottage cheese into the eggs when making omelets or scrambled eggs. It gives more protein and makes the eggs creamier. This works better with whole milk or 2% cottage cheese.

Also, brands of cottage cheese vary significantly in taste and texture. I love Kalona Supernatural and Good Culture. I used to love Knudsen, but haven't tried it in a decade so I don't know if it's changed. Daisy is fine, but not as creamy as I like. Nancy's is good, but really tangy and tastes different than other brands. I prefer small curd to large curd.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    huruta22 wrote: »
    There's a lot of difference in taste between brands. I love organic valley whole milk cottage cheese. It is delicious even for those of us who don't love cottage cheese . It will set you back about $6 though (ugh). (No affiliation with company)

Completely agree!!! If you didn't like the one you initially tried, see if another brand is more to your liking - the difference can be huge! I don't really like Knudsen, and prefer Daisy brand, IMO large curd is better than small curd, if I can find it. It's delicious with black pepper and strawberries (yum!).
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I mix vanilla protein powder (its what I have on hand) with 5g cocoa powder and then add berries. Tastes like cheesecake!
  • kay_fitnessjourney
    kay_fitnessjourney Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!!
  • eisel83
    eisel83 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup cottage + 1 scoop vanilla casein + 1/4 cup water, mix and freeze for an hour, top with ft free cool whip. It's amazing!!!
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I like mixing a can of V8 with some cottage cheese, hot sauce, and pepper to make a cold 'soup.'