Anyone else dress completely different when overweight vs not overweight?

Options

Replies

• MimiOfTheFraserValley
    MimiOfTheFraserValley Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    No, not really. I still wear dresses & skirts & shorts - love them! - but then again, I've always liked looser things as a rule, even when I've been thin. I love leggings & jeggings, no matter at what size I am, but when I wear them out of my home, I always wear a long top/tunic that covers my rear & belly. I don't like shorter tops - never have - unless they're under a jacket or the like. When I was thin, I wore baggy sweatshirts or sweaters, if I wore sweaters; I'm usually too warm to wear either, & this isn't a time-of-life thing - that's always how I've been, right from infancy.

I don't think that my size should dictate that I dress any differently style-wise, unless, of course, I was into crop tops or short skirts or the like - THEN I'd definitely dress differently. :smile: But as for wearing shorts or skirts or dresses, I keep on wearing them because I love how they make me feel, so feminine & comfy, & I don't like feeling like I have to cover up or hide myself just because I'm larger. I will wear things that are more form fitting when I'm thinner, & so, yes, in that way my style's different when I'm thinner, but I don't change my overall style or taste in clothes - just the way things are worn changes a little. :smile:
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    YaGigi wrote: »
    Ima go with yes, I used to wear this type of stuff overly tight shirts (i thought i had a thin waist lol) and yoga pants. A sweater if i went out i could never figure out why my boobs seemed so inapropriate ( i was dellusional to my bad fashion lol)
    l0k14kf3g0m8.jpg
    Now i rock alot of dresses and leggings/ crop tops and actually use alot of dresses with leggings for tops :p Never wore anything different before. Shopping is fun now im happy my fashion changed
    w3pg49c1w7xl.jpg
    y3vja4ybnjjb.png
    ge67m3dprfix.png

Side note, I also like heels now. I used to feel so stupid in them and think they were gonna break. Happy side effect, Their now comfy on me XD

You have a gorgeous hourshape figure!

I'm similar and it's easier for uor bodyshape to dress.
    I basically wear the same clothes as before but smaller size. I'm Italian sizes 38-40 now but was 44-46 (in my profile picture I'm wearing 44 Medium). In US clothes I was about size 6, and now I'm not sure, haven't bought anything American lately.

Thankyou :3 but i find the shape makes it harder to dress by far lol

That's because you've never had to dress an apple shape. :smiley:

While the measurements used for the default sizes may not be quite as curvy as you are, they'll be a whole lot closer since they are supposed to match the more common pear and hourglass shapes. Trying to find pants that fit properly as an apple is a nightmare. If they fit at the waist, the butt is usually baggy. If the hips fit properly, we're going to have muffin top. I've found one or two stores that do a "straight cut" that will work - but then I'm at their mercy for actually bothering to carry stock (which, in my city, can be a real issue when there's only one store of each type). I suspect the fact that I need "petite" length doesn't help.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    sydnisd183 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    When I was overweight I wore whatever I found that fit. My clothes fit but weren't necessarily nice looking or flattering. Now I can find flattering clothes a bit more easily, but it's still a challenge. I carry all excess weight in my stomach/midsection. Finding tops that fit and look nice is not easy since many are cut for women who have more inward curve in that area. The opposite--tops that are more flowy--tend to look like maternity tops on me. Clothing the top half of my body is frustrating.

On the flip side, I'm good with my legs. One of my friends told me that if she had my legs she'd never wear pants. I don't go naked but I do wear more skirts/dresses (and heels) than ever.

Please tell me where these shirts are lol.....most shirts I see/try on have tiny little shoulders and massive fabric in the waist area, like a triangle

The tunic top style? Yeah, those do have small shoulders it seems and they are the ones that look maternity-ish. In general, casual t-shirts are too tight in the middle for me (I'm thinking of Target as I type this.) I work at a university and the sizing for the t-shirts in the bookstore is similar. I call it college girl sizing. I'm sure that there is vanity sizing at play but I wear a medium Lands' End shirt and even most XL shirts from the bookstore are too tight around my middle.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I've never been technically "overweight" per BMI but at my highest weight, I think I actually tended to dress in a sexier/more revealing way that I do now because I was uncomfortable with my body and thought that showing a lot of T&A would somehow distract from the stuff I didn't like, like no one would see my stomach roll if I wore low-cut tops? I felt so bad about how I looked that I think I really wanted external validation that I was attractive and the easiest way to achieve that was by showing off the stuff that people still like when it's huge, lol.

I did have a different lifestyle at the time though (worked in a bar) compared to now (work in an office) so it's not really comparable, though, I suppose.

I do worry less about what I wear now in general...both because I'm not so paranoid about looking unattractive anymore and because a wider range of styles fits and looks appropriate.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    nope, still rockin that gym clothes or homeless look
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    My style actually changed when I gained my weight back. I was suffering some mental health issues, and one of the strategies to help cope was to dress better. Before (before losing weight the first time and when I was at my goal weight) I was all jeans and tshirts. Now, I wear dresses and heels almost every day, and yoga pants if dresses are not an appropriate option. We will see if I step back into jeans as I get more comfortable with my shape again.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I haven't noticed any change. I'm a "comfort first" kind of gal. My closet has always been (and probably will always be) stuffed with all kinds of jeans, tshirts, hoodies and sweatpants. I also suspect my mom will always be rolling her eyes every time I whine about not having any decent shoes then end up with yet another pair of sports shoes.

Haha I can totally relate!

I own one dress which is one of those flowy maxi-dresses, no skirts and no high heels at all, not a one pair.

In summer, i live in shorts/tank tops and thongs (flip flops). In winter it's trackie pants, leggings and flannel shirts or tunics, shoes are boots, sneakers, ugg boots or slippers! I do own a couple pairs of jeans, but i prefer warm snuggly clothes.

Gawd, after reading that back i sound like a feral :tongue:
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    YaGigi wrote: »
    Ima go with yes, I used to wear this type of stuff overly tight shirts (i thought i had a thin waist lol) and yoga pants. A sweater if i went out i could never figure out why my boobs seemed so inapropriate ( i was dellusional to my bad fashion lol)
    l0k14kf3g0m8.jpg
    Now i rock alot of dresses and leggings/ crop tops and actually use alot of dresses with leggings for tops :p Never wore anything different before. Shopping is fun now im happy my fashion changed
    w3pg49c1w7xl.jpg
    y3vja4ybnjjb.png
    ge67m3dprfix.png

Side note, I also like heels now. I used to feel so stupid in them and think they were gonna break. Happy side effect, Their now comfy on me XD

You have a gorgeous hourshape figure!

I'm similar and it's easier for uor bodyshape to dress.
    I basically wear the same clothes as before but smaller size. I'm Italian sizes 38-40 now but was 44-46 (in my profile picture I'm wearing 44 Medium). In US clothes I was about size 6, and now I'm not sure, haven't bought anything American lately.

Thankyou :3 but i find the shape makes it harder to dress by far lol

That's because you've never had to dress an apple shape. :smiley:

While the measurements used for the default sizes may not be quite as curvy as you are, they'll be a whole lot closer since they are supposed to match the more common pear and hourglass shapes. Trying to find pants that fit properly as an apple is a nightmare. If they fit at the waist, the butt is usually baggy. If the hips fit properly, we're going to have muffin top. I've found one or two stores that do a "straight cut" that will work - but then I'm at their mercy for actually bothering to carry stock (which, in my city, can be a real issue when there's only one store of each type). I suspect the fact that I need "petite" length doesn't help.

You should try pants in juniors sizes. Seriously, I had the same issue...but juniors cuts assume people are less "hippy" since people in that age group are usually built a little straighter. I still buy some of my pants and skirts in juniors...they fit perfectly. No more baggy material around the butt and hips! It is easy to find basics that work for adult women in juniors.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I steal clothes from the men in my life no matter what size I am. Most recently I scored a fabulous long sleeved T and a sweatshirt from my brother. I've been wearing men's flannel shirts forever.

But when I'm dressing femininely, yes, it changes according to my size.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    l0k14kf3g0m8.jpg
    w3pg49c1w7xl.jpg
    y3vja4ybnjjb.png
    ge67m3dprfix.png

I think you did have a small waist to begin with lol I see nothing wrong with the outfit in any of the pics tho Lol
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I dress different after my 90 lb loss for sure.

One of the biggest differences is my boobs are so much smaller so I don't have mondo cleavage anymore with low cut shirts. I used to have to layer or wear higher cut shirts because of the cleavage issue but now I can wear more variety in necklines and not worry about looking unprofessional.

I also wear shorts and skirts and dresses now when I never did before because they were uncomfortable with my thighs.

I do get cold ALL the time so I'm often throwing a light sweatshirt over pretty much anything. I'm looking forward to some warm days this summer!

The odd thing is that I would wear low cut shirts with the cleavage but feel weird wearing them without it Lol so opposite?
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I used to wear "slimming" clothes. I have very broad shoulders for a petite woman so I would tear out shoulder pads, v-necks, sleeveless tops, never horizontal stripes, a-line, above the knee skirts... all the stuff Glamour magazine said to look slimmer/taller.

Now I'm almost 40, 5 pounds lighter and really don't care anymore more. I haven't bought a new wardrobe, but I've added a lot of leggings and athletic gear. I never wore leggings (except as a teenager during the horrific 90ies trend) because I felt I had thunder thighs (thanks dad for that). If I dress up I wear boot cut jeans and a pretty blouse, usually sleeveless cause I'm always hot.
  • Sara2652
    Sara2652 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I hate shopping for clothes and I've never been able to find clothes that fit well at any size but shopping for my bigger body is a pain in the... I imagine when I lose some of this extra fat I will dress differently and if I ever get fit and toned I will likely walk around naked all the time :smiley::wink: because it would mean I worked my .... off to get there.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »

One of the biggest differences is my boobs are so much smaller so I don't have mondo cleavage anymore with low cut shirts. I used to have to layer or wear higher cut shirts because of the cleavage issue but now I can wear more variety in necklines and not worry about looking unprofessional.

I also wear shorts and skirts and dresses now when I never did before because they were uncomfortable with my thighs.

I do get cold ALL the time so I'm often throwing a light sweatshirt over pretty much anything. I'm looking forward to some warm days this summer!

The odd thing is that I would wear low cut shirts with the cleavage but feel weird wearing them without it Lol so opposite?

Ha I've never worn tops that show cleavage. It just makes me uncomfortable when people gawk at my boobs! :noway:
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options

Ha I've never worn tops that show cleavage. It just makes me uncomfortable when people gawk at my boobs! :noway:

I wouldnt even notice. Plus that would be rude of them. I just like the look lol
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

I wouldnt even notice. Plus that would be rude of them. I just like the look lol

You like the look...others like the look too, so they look. But perhaps you are drawing a distinction between looking and gawking?

I suppose...gawking IS rude, but is really to be expected with certain outfits.

For example, I was showing this thread to my OH and scrolled up to JaydedMiss's pics, and he said, "I'm sorry, what?" (Implying that he wasn't paying attention to what I was saying because he was gawking, lol.) (This is not a dig at JM - I think you look hot, in all the outfits ;) )
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed any change. I'm a "comfort first" kind of gal. My closet has always been (and probably will always be) stuffed with all kinds of jeans, tshirts, hoodies and sweatpants. I also suspect my mom will always be rolling her eyes every time I whine about not having any decent shoes then end up with yet another pair of sports shoes.

Haha I can totally relate!

I own one dress which is one of those flowy maxi-dresses, no skirts and no high heels at all, not a one pair.

In summer, i live in shorts/tank tops and thongs (flip flops). In winter it's trackie pants, leggings and flannel shirts or tunics, shoes are boots, sneakers, ugg boots or slippers! I do own a couple pairs of jeans, but i prefer warm snuggly clothes.

Gawd, after reading that back i sound like a feral :tongue:

Your wardrobe sounds extremely similar to mine. I used to have a dress that I wore maybe twice (and yes it was the maxi flowy kind) but I donated it when I lost weight and did not replace it. I also don't like revealing or fitted clothes because I don't like the discomfort of having to constantly adjust them. Some cleavage is nice, but in my case it can turn into too much cleavage because I'm not careful with my movements, especially since I have exceptionally large breasts. I tried once at my sister's request (who is constantly trying to dress me and keeps getting frustrated with me), I didn't even leave the house. It was a girls night at our house and I was so obsessed with the cleavage moving like a stiff board, it's not even funny. I have never worn heels in my life. If my shoes aren't comfortable I'm not walking in them.

Sometimes I look at websites with well-dressed women and in my mind plan to be fashionista. I tell myself "that's it, I'm going to start dressing like I care!", but that day never comes. I lose interest after a few minutes and get distracted by a "OMG I LOVE THIS T-SHIRT" kind of stuff and end up ordering that.