1200 calorie diet success

Options
rjmann92
rjmann92 Posts: 1 Member
Hi guys,

So I am starting tomorrow with 1200 calorie diet. I have 20 pound to lose before November when I get married.

I've previously done slimming world and weight watchers and even 5:2 diet. However due to my job now I found 5:2 too difficult.

I'm looking for any support from other people doing this diet but also any success stories would be great motivation for me.

Hope to hear back from people.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    rjmann92 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

So I am starting tomorrow with 1200 calorie diet. I have 20 pound to lose before November when I get married.

I've previously done slimming world and weight watchers and even 5:2 diet. However due to my job now I found 5:2 too difficult.

I'm looking for any support from other people doing this diet but also any success stories would be great motivation for me.

Hope to hear back from people.

How have you arrived at your figure of 1200 calories? With 5 months and only 20lb you can probably eat more, unless you're very light, short or old to start with, which will be more sustainable and you would be more likely to keep it off. What are your stats (age, height, weight, sex)?
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 pounds in about 6 months on a 1200 calorie diet two years ago. Lean protein plus veggies. Didn't eat back my exercise calories but had an indulgent meal a couple of times a month. Maintaining is harder, and my weight fluctuates. Up a little lately and now on a 1200 calorie diet again to get back to my GW.
  • stacief82
    stacief82 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have lost 23 lbs since January 1st sticking to a 1200 calories a day. I am shorter, (5'3") so 1200 isn't really that much of a struggle, but if you are taller you can probably raiser your calorie limit some. I do eat back some of my exercise calories if I am hungry. I still have about 7lbs to lose, but I expect to be at or close to my goal by the end of summer.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    2tryharder wrote: »
    I haven't done a formal program, but I have lost weight several times doing 1200 calories and working out. I don't eat back any exercise calories, 1200 is the limit. I do a smoothie with whey protein and 1/2 banana for breakfast and lunch and dinner is a meat and green veggie - no starch or bread. Also add 2 snacks a day like carrots, apple, or tuna packet. Eating every few hours keeps me from getting tired/unfocused at work. I think 20 lbs by November is totally reasonable. Good luck with your goal and your wedding!

Aren't you hungry? I get 1200 cals per day too and also eat back my exercise for the most part but not all of it each day. :-/ I'd be hungry if I didn't.
  • JasminPetals
    JasminPetals Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've done 1200 cal diets before and found that they are pretty hard to me to stick to without eating back the exercise calories. I'm currently at 1325 calories, working out 4-5x a week (weight training + 20-30 min cardio) and I've lost 8 pounds in about 5 weeks and I'm 5'4''.
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You haven't told us stats. I'm 5'2, 194# and lose at 1270 calories + 80-90% exercise calories (wear a fitbit). For me and my height (and weight), 1200-1400ish calories is a deficit enough to lose at between 1-2lb loss. Over the past 50 days I have lost 13.8#'s. You have until november, you have 20#'s to lose, change it to 1lb a week, follow what MFP gives you, and eat back at least half of your excercise calories to maintain this up until November. Overly restricted leads to eventual overeating.
  • infinitynevermore
    infinitynevermore Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've been on 1200 cals since mid-February and I've lost 15 lbs already, even with a handful of cheat meals. Have 30 to go by September, hopefully.
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    beanz744 wrote: »
    if u got 5 months to lose 20 ibs then all u need is to lose 1 IB a week so u could be less restrictive n go to around 1350 (or just let MFP tell u what the exact number is when u set to lose one IBS a week). i m.saying this because not everyone can handle a 1200 calorie daily max. basically u have to eat only homemade meals with the right combination of meat, VEGS, n fruits.

NO sugar, starch, desserts, juices, fast foods, etc etc

many people gave up because they r being overly aggressive with their weight loss plan. maybe start with a 1350 to 1400 calorie plan for the first 2 weeks n see how u feel first

corrected it..

OP - you can lose weight eating sugar, fast food, etc..what is the most important is maintaining your calorie deficit, getting adequate nutrition, and keeping protein relatively high.

u r correct on this point regarding eating anything as long as it is a calorie deficit situation to lose weight but i do not think it is realistic for a 1200 calorie diet nor it is good for ones long term health. heres why.

1. for example one big mac combo is more than 1200 calories, one plate of pasta dish from boston pizza is more than 1000 calories, one regular muffin is 500 calories, one cup of double double coffee is around 200 calories, n one tablespoon of any oil is around 120. (i can go on). 1200 calorie a day means one must use it WISELY to spread the calories in 2 or 3 meals in a day n therefore theres no room to EAT ANYTHING U WANT regularly because dirty food has HIGH calorie counts so one can only do it once a while.
    for breakfast;
    a cup of double double coffee for 200
    or
    a cup of regular coffee n a muffin for 600 (half of ur days allowance is gone by 9am)
    or
    2 egg omelette with 2 slice of turkey n spinach n a cup of black coffee at 4 cal or a cup of unsweeten nut milk for 30, all for around 200-230

which breakfast will one over to lunch n which one is full of vitamins n nutrients?

2. if a beginner gets the impression that anything goes n eating dirty regularly is ok, then whats the point of losing some weight if ones health is still 'IN THE TOILET' because part of the reason of losing weight should be getting ones health back on track , no?

i dont want to argue but i do not want to see people getting confused on only half of the fact.

PS yes, most of us cheats but one can CHEAT less disruptively when the maintenance phase, where daily calorie allowance is around 1700 to 2000, kicks in n as long as most food consumed is unprocessed.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    if u got 5 months to lose 20 ibs then all u need is to lose 1 IB a week so u could be less restrictive n go to around 1350 (or just let MFP tell u what the exact number is when u set to lose one IBS a week). i m.saying this because not everyone can handle a 1200 calorie daily max. basically u have to eat only homemade meals with the right combination of meat, VEGS, n fruits.

NO sugar, starch, desserts, juices, fast foods, etc etc

many people gave up because they r being overly aggressive with their weight loss plan. maybe start with a 1350 to 1400 calorie plan for the first 2 weeks n see how u feel first

corrected it..

OP - you can lose weight eating sugar, fast food, etc..what is the most important is maintaining your calorie deficit, getting adequate nutrition, and keeping protein relatively high.

u r correct on this point regarding eating anything as long as it is a calorie deficit situation to lose weight but i do not think it is realistic for a 1200 calorie diet nor it is good for ones long term health. heres why.

1. for example one big mac combo is more than 1200 calories, one plate of pasta dish from boston pizza is more than 1000 calories, one regular muffin is 500 calories, one cup of double double coffee is around 200 calories, n one tablespoon of any oil is around 120. (i can go on). 1200 calorie a day means one must use it WISELY to spread the calories in 2 or 3 meals in a day n therefore theres no room to EAT ANYTHING U WANT regularly because dirty food has HIGH calorie counts so one can only do it once a while.
    for breakfast;
    a cup of double double coffee for 200
    or
    a cup of regular coffee n a muffin for 600 (half of ur days allowance is gone by 9am)
    or
    2 egg omelette with 2 slice of turkey n spinach n a cup of black coffee at 4 cal or a cup of unsweeten nut milk for 30, all for around 200-230

which breakfast will one over to lunch n which one is full of vitamins n nutrients?

2. if a beginner gets the impression that anything goes n eating dirty regularly is ok, then whats the point of losing some weight if ones health is still 'IN THE TOILET' because part of the reason of losing weight should be getting ones health back on track , no?

i dont want to argue but i do not want to see people getting confused on only half of the fact.

PS yes, most of us cheats but one can CHEAT less disruptively when the maintenance phase, where daily calorie allowance is around 1700 to 2000, kicks in n as long as most food consumed is unprocessed.

Why on earth would you think that when I see eat a balanced diet, that somehow means eat Big Mac meals and deep dish pizza all day?

My point is that it is not necessary to restrict any macro and OP can still enjoy foods that she likes.

How are you defining unprocessed foods?????
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

PS there is no such thing as dirty food, food is food.

i think mcdonalds or KFC just found their beautiful new slogan "food is FOOD!"
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

PS there is no such thing as dirty food, food is food.

i think mcdonalds or KFC just found their beautiful new slogan "food is FOOD!"

Glad to see that's all you've taken from my reply and that of @ndj1979. You still seem to think that not being restrictive equates to eating KFC & McDonalds daily, which isn't the case, but am I going to feel bad about having a pizza or a Big Mac once in a while, hell no and neither should the OP.

• annapage38
    annapage38 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Work out your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure), google TDEE calculator.
    From this figure, take 500.... i.e. my TDEE average (I get my figure from fitbit) is 3000, so for me to lose weight I should eat 2500 calories. 1000 is the maximum deficit you should be in. Just be sure not to starve yourself.

Like what has been said above... where your calories come from does not matter as long as you're in deficit. However if you want to feel good on the inside then eating processed/sugary food constantly isn't going to be the way :)

Look after yourself, DON'T starve yourself and enjoy the journey :)