Opinions on new routine

Options
rmelton07
rmelton07 Posts: 4 Member
Monday- Off
Tuesday - Push (Heavy)
Wednesday - AM:Fasted cardio, PM: Pull (Heavy)
Thusday - Legs
Friday - Off
Saturday - 2 mile run/ Push (drop sets)
Sunday - Pull (drop sets)/ 30 min eliptical LISS

6' Male 160lbs. Consuming about 2500 calories a day with roughly 40%C/30%P/30%F. The goal is to gain lean mass, but I want to avoid the bulk/cut yoyo and find a median. Ive only been on this routine for a few weeks (it was arms/chest-shoulders/leg/back-core/cardio split for the last year) but the results have been very noticible in the short period of time.
Just wondering if Im overlooking anything, or if there is anything that stands out in what Im doing from an outside perspective.

Edit: Actually probably closer to 35/35/30 on the macros. All fats are basically eggs, avacados, almonds and salmon.
And also the fasted cardio isnt exaactly fasted cause Im drinking BCAAs during and eating breakfast within 30 mins after.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    rmelton07 wrote: »
    Monday- Off
    Tuesday - Push (Heavy)
    Thusday - Legs
    Friday - Off

6' Male 160lbs. Consuming about 2500 calories a day with roughly 40%C/30%P/30%F. The goal is to gain lean mass, but I want to avoid the bulk/cut yoyo and find a median. Ive only been on this routine for a few weeks (it was arms/chest-shoulders/leg/back-core/cardio split for the last year) but the results have been very noticible in the short period of time.
    Just wondering if Im overlooking anything, or if there is anything that stands out in what Im doing from an outside perspective.

Edit: Actually probably closer to 35/35/30 on the macros. All fats are basically eggs, avacados, almonds and salmon.

1) I don't think it's optimal to train legs once per week as you're missing out on potential opportunity to gain muscle and strength.

2) Fasted cardio is not advantageous for fat loss however if you feel or perform better training fasted then go for it.

3) We can't really see what your intensity and volume are like, and so basically all we are looking at is how you arrange your training throughout the week rather than what the actual program consists of.

Just for example, I could tell you that I train full body 3 days per week and my program could be absolute crap. Likewise I could tell you I train full body 7 days per week and I could have a fantastic program.

Of course, I say all of the above with the intent to help and so I don't mean to just offer negative feedback here.

Best of luck!
    Patrick
  • rmelton07
    rmelton07 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    rmelton07 wrote: »
    Monday- Off
    Tuesday - Push (Heavy)
    Thusday - Legs
    Friday - Off

1) I don't think it's optimal to train legs once per week as you're missing out on potential opportunity to gain muscle and strength.

2) Fasted cardio is not advantageous for fat loss however if you feel or perform better training fasted then go for it.

3) We can't really see what your intensity and volume are like, and so basically all we are looking at is how you arrange your training throughout the week rather than what the actual program consists of.

Just for example, I could tell you that I train full body 3 days per week and my program could be absolute crap. Likewise I could tell you I train full body 7 days per week and I could have a fantastic program.

Of course, I say all of the above with the intent to help and so I don't mean to just offer negative feedback here.

Best of luck!
    Patrick

Thanks for the response! So lets see,
    1. I train legs once a week because its hard to do more than that with my schedule. I work in construction wiring houses so even on leg day I'm drained by the time I get to it. I could possibly subsitute on of my weekend cardio sessions for another leg day, and train full upper body drop sets on the other day.

2. Like I said in the edit Im drinking BCAAs during this, so its more or less just morning cardio, but Ive heard many conflicting opinions on fasted cardio, and I can say I definitely feel like the early morning cardio is helping.

3. All lifting workouts are basically to failure, rather by high weight 3x sets of 8-10 on heavy days, and 3x sets of drop sets from around 70%, to 60% to 50% to 40% of my max all to failure on dropset days. On push days Im doing bench, incline, tricep extentions, tricep cable pulls, shrugs, lat flys, shoulder press. Pull is rows, lat pull down, curls, hammer curls, various grip pullups.

I work with limited equipment (mostly cable machines, freeweights and a pullup bar) but try to make the best of it. Anymore info needed feel free to ask, no need to justify constructive crits, thanks again!
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I'd second the "more legs" thought. I assume squats are the staple diet for them? Did I see deadlift in there somewhere? Those two are serious mass builders. I think swapping one of your cardios for legs is a good idea.

You could swap Thursday with Friday to get more rest on the leg day I guess. I favour a few more carbs vs fat and protein than you've got, but to each his own.

If you're feeling like it's working though... :) Maybe just continue.
  • DACole21
    DACole21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a big believer in more isn't always more. I think if you cut out most of the isolation exercises and stick to the compounds, it works best. That is just my perspective and experience. I have been following Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 Boring But Big and I personally Love it. It is simple yet challenging and keeps out unnecessary BS. I packed on a lot of size doing this and with the added conditioning and HIIT have kept my body fat in check. The weight portion of this takes about 45 Mins if you really focus hard on the weights, take your time and maximize intensity. I then add in about 15 minutes of conditioning at the end. Basically what it comes down to is 3 main principles of training and that is Stretch, Lift, Sprint so in other words, Warm-up, hit your big lifts, get your conditioning in and go home.

Day 1 - Upper A
    Military Press - 5/3/1
    Bench Press - 5X10 (60%)
    Pull-Ups - 5 Sets
    Conditioning - Loaded Carries, Incline Walking

Day 2 - Lower A
    Squat - 5/3/1
    Sumo Deadlift - 5X10 (60%)
    Abs - 5 Sets
    Conditioning - Prowler Push, Incline Walking

Day 3 - HIIT (20 Minutes)

Day 4 - Upper B