Not getting enough calories

Options
I have started eating at home instead of eating take out all the time and started tracking what I'm eating and I'm not getting enough calories. I am averaging barely over a thousand a day. I don't feel hungry or not satisfied but the diary keeps warning me that I'm consuming too few calories. One day I have all my fat but not enough protein, another I have barely any fat but over on my protein. This is getting difficult. Any tips on how to balance this?

Replies

• mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I have started eating at home instead of eating take out all the time and started tracking what I'm eating and I'm not getting enough calories. I am averaging barely over a thousand a day. I don't feel hungry or not satisfied but the diary keeps warning me that I'm consuming too few calories. One day I have all my fat but not enough protein, another I have barely any fat but over on my protein. This is getting difficult. Any tips on how to balance this?

I'm averaging this, too. So I recently started eating a few slices of sargento naturals cheese (60-70 cals a slice), and it usually takes me to where I need to be. I really love it, and it's low carb and actually really filling for being "thin" sliced.
  • kellykat2
    kellykat2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am at 999 today and I am not hungry at all. I can't eat just to eat, so I am going with it. I will eat if I am hungry, if not, I won't. It's not every single day that I'm under 1000. I'd ask a doctor. You would think if we needed the food, then we would be hungry. Sorry I'm not helping you!

Isn't it amazing the calories saved while eating at home vs eating out?

No wonder kids are becoming more obese than ever in history. I can tell you, even though were are in a recession, the restaurant parking lots are not reflecting that. Everyone still eats out all the time. I'd rather save my money for something else.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    For protein, try a protein supplement. They are low fat/low carb and high in calories. You can mix in water and drink it pretty easily :)

For fats, have some nuts! Peanuts, cashews, almonds - any nut. They are high in calories and only a few nuts are in a serving, so they won't make you feel crazy full and they will help you reach your calorie limit.

Keep trying, this is the struggle I deal with every day. I rarely get hungry, and it is very tough for me to reach my calorie goal, let alone get my carb/fat/protein in a decent range.
  • agugino
    agugino Posts: 119
    Options
    Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I love cheese so it shouldn't be a problem!
  • nataliya531
    Options
    I get these 100 calorie packs of almonds and eat them as a snack if my calories are too low. This would be good if your carbs are too high for the day. If the fat or protein is too high, then go for a fruit. Lots of carbs, fiber, and vitamins! Good luck!
  • agugino
    agugino Posts: 119
    Options
    Sarah, you definitely said it! I can't believe how many calories are in all the things that I'd been eating when eating out! It's no wonder I gained weight to get to where I'm at. Fast food really is an addiction though. Driving by taco bell sure is a challenge for me. Tomorrow makes a full week since I've eaten out.. luckily it's getting easier!
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    my guess is youre getting the warning messages
    so your body doesn't go into starvation mode.

check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starvation_response
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I am at 999 today and I am not hungry at all. I can't eat just to eat, so I am going with it. I will eat if I am hungry, if not, I won't. It's not every single day that I'm under 1000. I'd ask a doctor. You would think if we needed the food, then we would be hungry. Sorry I'm not helping you!

Isn't it amazing the calories saved while eating at home vs eating out?

No wonder kids are becoming more obese than ever in history. I can tell you, even though were are in a recession, the restaurant parking lots are not reflecting that. Everyone still eats out all the time. I'd rather save my money for something else.

This is me. I can't force myself to eat if I'm not hungry, I will probably be criticized for it but I just can't do it.. I just listen to my body, I think if it needs something it will let me know.
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Add an avocado in there, somewhere. In sandwiches, salads, burritos. For one it is about 200 cals and it has some great fats in it.
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if I want to add some more calories I'll have a glass of 1% milk. I think it's around 110 calories but it has more sugar than you might think. Lowfat chocolate milk is good too.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Once I started paying attention to all the major nutrient categories, I found it got a lot more difficult to get in the precise amount of calories, fat, protein, carbs that I was aiming for. It did take quite a bit of trial and error. If you're good on all amounts except one, try to find foods that are high in just that amount. For example, some days I may be too low on carbs but good on protein and fat, so I'll eat a low fat, carby food like plain crackers. Or just the other day, I was good on everything except calories, so I had a light beer. :-) I know, empty calories, but it worked.

It's a learning curve, trying to figure out which foods are best for you.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Try nuts..., they are loaded with protein, fats & calories. They make you feel satified too...
  • Aubryleigh
    Options
    I noticed I wasn't eating enough calories the first two weeks I started tracking. I was getting plenty of protein, carbs abd fats, just not enough calories, so I started eating more fruit and it's helping. I really like oranges! Good luck! :-)
  • Lytebryte31
    Options
    I've had the "too few calories" issue as well! My issue is I can't do too many nuts or raw veggies due to my ibs! Gonna try the cheese and advocado though!