I am gaining weight despite dieting help!!

nicoledearie123
nicoledearie123 Posts: 4 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I used to weigh 9 stone and through cutting my calories and having one cheat day a week i went down to around 7 and a half stone, now i'm doing the same and normally i fluctuate between 7 and a half -8 stone (normally i weigh 8 after my cheat day) which is fine but recently i've started going to the gym around 4 times a week and i do 40 minutes of cardio on the treadmill (mix between sprints and walking) and some weights for my thighs and glutes but despite eating how i've always ate and going to the gym i now weigh around 8 and a half stone - 9! it has taken me so long to get down to 7 and a half and i feel very disheartened now :( i've been going to the gym for less than a month but i feel very discouraged and want to stop if i'm putting on weight!

Replies

• mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Check you're weighing and logging everything. Loosing weight is just maths, take in fewer calories than you burn and you will loose weight.

When you start doing lots of excercise it is really easy to get lax about watching what you eat. You maybe don't log everything so carefully or you have a treat because you feel you "earned" it.

Unfortunately excercise doesn't burn as many calories as we'd all like to imagine and before you know it you're taking in more than you're burning.

Excercise is really good for you, but if the goal is just to loose weight then focus on what you're eating.

If you're confident you're sticking to your calorie allowance then just stick at it and you will see results. It might take a few weeks, loosing weight isn't consistent for most people and a new exercise regime can make things plateau for a few weeks but you'll see the results if you stick with it.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    How tall are you? With such a small amount to lose (if you need to lose at all) it is going to come off very slow.
  • nicoledearie123
    I'm 5"0!
  • nicoledearie123
    I log everything i eat and the only treat i get is at the weekends so it's definitely not that:( i'm not eating any different that i have done, might take away my cheat weekends and see if that makes a difference
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    I log everything i eat and the only treat i get is at the weekends so it's definitely not that:( i'm not eating any different that i have done, might take away my cheat weekends and see if that makes a difference

You have whole cheat weekends? That can easily erase a deficit created during the week. How many calories during the week and on weekend? Do you use a food scale for anything that isn't liquid?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    It could be water weight from exercise or time of the month.
  • Molly_gets_fit26
    Molly_gets_fit26 Posts: 8 Member
    I would try measurements rather than weight. Exercise could possibly lead to muscle gain and fat loss which may cause some weight gain but you'll still be smaller. Or perhaps you aren't consuming enough calories and you put your body in starvation mode? If you are doing a lot more exercise but eating the same amount that might NOT be a good thing. There are a lot of possibilities for reasons behind this...hope you figure it out soon!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

Are you logging your cheat weekends? If not you are probably eating more than you think. It is really easy to think you are eating exactly the same as you always are when you are subconsciously eating more. So if not, start logging your weekends and see if your calories are in line.

New exercise can cause some extra water weight gain, so at least some of the gain could be that as well.

If you'd like more specific advice, you will probably need to open your diary.
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member

Would it be possible for you to open up your diary so we can see if that'll help us figure things out better?
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited May 2017
    As you said, you just started training 4 times a week. Storing Glycogen And Water. Exercise may cause temporary weight gain due to your muscles' response to strenuous activity. Strength training, for example, tears muscle fiber and can cause your muscles to retain water.

Fat is less dense than muscle, taking up less space, so you can slim down even when you're not losing weight or possibly gaining weight.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 799 Member
    I'm 5"0!

Me too! 5'0 here:^) I have quite a bit to go to get down to where you are (currently 137-138ish (9.85 stones?) id love to be 112lbs (8 stones)! I've never been that light as an adult so I'm excited to be where you are hopefully sooner than later:^D
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    It's likely not muscle gain, too soon. I agree with others who've stated maybe you're eating more calories on your cheat weekends than you think or you may not be eating enough calories and your body isn't letting the weight go. Have you recalculated your MFP settings since losing weight? The best thing you can do is weigh and measure everything.